Micro-cracks in New iMac Glass. Normal?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by seetheforest, Jan 5, 2016.

1. seetheforest macrumors member

Just got my new iMac and there's a flaw in the glass, but I don't know if it's just my unit or if it's normal to iMacs.

After unwrapping there was some dust/debris on the front of the screen so I took some eye-glass cleaner and a microfiber cloth to it. I just so happened to have it angled towards a light and suddenly tens of ~5'' long micro-cracks in the glass were revealed. Note that these cracks are normally invisible and can only be seen when saturated with liquid (and will disappear once the liquid evaporates).

My concern is two-fold. First, that the cracks may increase in severity for some reason and second that over time debris will enter the cracks and cause them to be visible during normal operation.

I did my best to get a picture that demonstrates this issue. The micro-cracks are the vertical lines in the picture--I swiped horizontally. What do you all think? No big deal or worth an attempt at exchanging. I might need to go to an Apple Store to try it out on their models...

Attached Files:

2. MadDane macrumors 6502a

It does not look normal to me. I would contact Apple and ask them for a replacement.

3. nightcap965 macrumors 6502a

nightcap965