Micro engravings in the MBP cover

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mac(maybe), Jun 4, 2010.

1. mac(maybe) macrumors member

Dear /Users,

I have a MBP 13'' since one month (my login name is older than that ;) ) and I am extremely happy!

I always put it in the second skin when moving around, nevertheless I noticed, for a couple of weeks, one very small engraving on the aluminum cover behind the display, of about 0.1 millimeter diameter, and maybe 0.1 millimeter deep. VERY small, and no other signs or scratch around.

I was trying to think what the hell could have caused that strange sign, and excluding everything including pins etc., since no scratch was noticed around the engraving.

After another 10 days, on the other side of the cover, another small engraving, always 0.1 millimeter diameter, same characteristics.

I have REALLY no clue. I am not living close a soldering workshop, or similar, neither we are exposed to interstellar dust.... so to my knowledge, it happened spontaneously.

The question is: is that possible? is the treatment of the cover (anodization, I think?) subject to such defects?
    Could I convince the support that it happened spontaneously?

Thanks for any (sincere) advice!

Dan

2. 1=1? macrumors regular

1=1?

if i get an engraving on my mbp will it void my warranty?

3. mac(maybe) thread starter macrumors member

Uhmmmmmm is it meant to spoil my thread? :rolleyes:

4. 1=1? macrumors regular

1=1?

if i made a new thread everyone would complain about me mrgoogling it. or making an additional thread. i figured i'd keep the engraving question in the engraving thread :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

5. mac(maybe) thread starter macrumors member

LOL

At least this keeps the thread up

6. 1=1? macrumors regular

1=1?

7. Queen of Spades macrumors 68030

Queen of Spades

I highly doubt you'll be able to convince Apple support that your scratches happened spontaneously. Honestly, that doesn't even make any sense. It was likely dust or something you didn't see that caused it. Either way, it was bound to happen eventually while moving your MBP around.

It doesn't seem worth returning or contacting support for. If the potential for scrapes and scratches really bothers you, consider getting a case or shield for it.

8. mac(maybe) thread starter macrumors member

Well, thank you for the frank answer. I am really surprised that dust or something like that can do -even almost invisible- damage. Is the aluminum case so subject to that?

9. Queen of Spades macrumors 68030

Queen of Spades

Aluminum is not scratch resistant, so sure, if dust or particles is pressed against it hard enough, it will scratch. That's one of the reasons why people complain about the hard cases which sometimes trap dust between them and the computer - it causes tiny scratches.

Honestly though, I wouldn't worry too much about dust causing scratches in every day use. Many people go case and shield-free and are able to keep their machines in great condition.

For the anal retentive types, there's combos of shields/cases/sleeves.

10. davidjearly macrumors 68020

davidjearly

Take it to Apple and see - they can only say no. Just explain it, be honest and you might get a Genius on a good day.

I would avoid the hard shells for the reason mentioned. I use the black neoprene sleeve from Incase, with my current 17" and my previous 15". No marks - nothing. I would recommend a sleeve and a keyboard protector and that's all.

11. mac(maybe) thread starter macrumors member

Thank you for the advice. Indeed, I have a microfiber sleeve, and nothing was trapped in it.
    Just to give an idea, I post a close up of one of the scratches (the coin is about a dime's size)

[​IMG]

12. juliaiaia macrumors newbie

Hi,
    i have the exact same problem!
    My MBP is one month old. 3weeks ago i noticed the first hole, 0.1mm diameter, 0.1mm deep, a few minutes ago, i noticed a second one. One is on the right side of the trackpad the other one on the left. I checked the whole laptop, and there are no other imperfections. I am always very careful, where no jewelry so i am really wondering how this could happen. The strangest thing is, that when you touch the are around each hole, you can feel the exact place of hole, as if the material that used to be in it, is now around it.
    Does anybody know how i can prevent more holes?

13. robby818 macrumors 6502a

A palm rest protector is a good idea. Moshi makes a nice one. I think you will eventually get scratches/discoloration on the palm rest due to perspiration and constant contact with your hands....The entire case does scratch easily. It's anodized aluminum so it will scratch eventually even if you are extremely careful. I got over trying to keep my MBP perfect, not a big deal as Steve would say.

14. andrew086 macrumors regular

if you're really worried about it, get a wrapsol or invisibleSHIELD like I did :p. I'd get the wrapsol if you don't want it to be shiny (wrapsol is matte) or the invisibleSHIELD if you want COMPLETE coverage (wrapsol doesn't cover sides of computer).

15. juliaiaia macrumors newbie

:) i know, i dont mind the spots, but just wanted to enjoy as long as possible my perfect mbp. was just disapointed it damaged so soon.
    i suppose the oily arms/hands reacte and "eat" the coating. i will pull my sleeves down while typing in the future :)

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=694802
    found these topic also, not much we can do about the problem...

it just damaged so quickly, and i would know if there is another solution to slow down the damaging, without stickers...

16. TxMacAddict macrumors 6502

That is a sweet engraving right there :D

17. mac(maybe) thread starter macrumors member

Thank you for your feedback. I will bring your post to the genius whom I will meet tomorrow... let's see.
    The point is that this IS a problem of the anodization, or similar.
    So if they are fair, they should do something for us. The fact that it is a totally minor damage plays no role, IMHO...

18. mac(maybe) thread starter macrumors member

Great Service, great Genius

Just a small update on my story: I had two small (0.1 mm ) dents on the cover lid, without further scratches around. The genius accepted (exceptionally) to change the display at no charge (the machine was not bought at the apple store and was 1.5 month old).

So now I have my mac with the lid+display exchanged and new!

Thanks apple, great service.