Micro Four Thirds camera for former DSLR Pro

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by anubis, Sep 25, 2011.

1. anubis macrumors 6502a

Hey everyone. To make a long story short, I have decided to close my wedding photography business to pursue other interests. I am currently selling off my high end camera equipment (including a Canon 5D and three very expensive L-series lenses) because I don't really have a need to keep such expensive equipment for casual shooting.

I'm looking for advice on getting a new camera for casual use. I looked long and hard at the Canon Powershot G12 but I like the idea of getting a micro four thirds because of the larger sensor. The micro four thirds world is a bit of a mystery to me and I'm not really sure how each camera compares to others.

What's important to me:
    Good image quality
    Lots of manual controls
    Small and portable
    Around the $600 price point or less
    High resolution screen

What's not important to me:
    Viewfinder
    Video or audio recording capabilities
    Flash

I'm going to be starting out with a kit lens, and may add a medium focal length prime in the future.

Thanks!

2. fitshaced macrumors 68000

fitshaced

I suggest you get the M4/3 camera before selling your DSLR and lenses.

3. anubis thread starter macrumors 6502a

Too late for that now ;)

4. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Why not one of the Sony NEX cameras? They have an APS-C sensor, much larger than a m4/3 sensor and they seem to have more lenses available.

5. mackmgg macrumors 65816

mackmgg

Yeah, I'd recommend an NEX. They're nice cameras, and certainly the best for that size by far. It has excellent image quality, no built-in flash, but the option for an external one, it's portable, and it has a large high res screen. The cheapest one starts at around $600 or so for the newest gen.

6. ravendhi macrumors member

ravendhi

Nex...

I am no where near a pro photog, but I just purchased a NEX-3... comes with the external flash, and I purchased the 18-55mm kit lens. I love it. I sold my Canon T2i to purchase it, and I don't regret it at all..

If you get an NEX, I strongly suggest buying a couple extra batteries, though... this thing seems to inhale battery life.....

7. anubis thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks everyone. NEX-3 it is. Looks like there is a $150 rebate if you buy the 17-55mm and 26mm at the same time. I think I might go for that package. :cool:

8. venusian macrumors member

probably too late now, but the only thing i'd caution on the NEX is (for me at least) it doesn't feel balanced or weighted right ..... my next camera will be the Olympus PEN P3 (or whatever the equivalent is then), the little grip on it just makes all the difference in the feel

YMMV

9. burningbright macrumors regular

I don't agree with that -- the size difference is almost all due to a differently- and more efficiently-shaped sensor.

There are many more native lenses available for m4/3 compared to NEX. m4/3 is pretty much a complete system; NEX isn't.

NEX has a much better sensor; m4/3 has much better lenses.

10. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

The APC sized sensor on the NEX system leads to larger and heavier lenses for sure.

++ on that

More subjective there, I am very happy with the quality I am able to get out of my Olympus Pen system. Don't miss my Nikon kit at all.

11. anubis thread starter macrumors 6502a

Update

In the end I decided to spend the extra cheddar and got a Sony Nex-C3 with 18-55 kit lens. Yeah, it's not quite the same as a 5D with 24-70mm f/2.8L, but all in all, I'm very impressed. Very easy to use and the customizable soft keys are very nice