Micro Scratches on on ceramic back?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by bobkeenan, Jun 23, 2016.

1. bobkeenan macrumors member

I have had this watch for 1 month. Love it. I treat it like its my baby. It is either on my wrist or in the charger. I would never have seen these scratches but when I pulled off the milanese band to clean I also cleaned the back of the watch. The charger is in perfect shape. I do set the watch down, when I shower, on my dresser where the back of the watch rests on the milanese band. But I am always very careful about it

I posted in Apple community support and they say clean the watch and clean the charger. But both are always clean. I am wondering if the little bit of handling each morning with the ceramic coating on the stainless milanese is doing this scratching? Is it that fragile?

I can change my habits to only put it on the charger and regularly clean the charger and watch back. But.... Could I polish these micro scratches out? No one will see them but they bug me.

If polishing is an option any suggestions? And issues with removing too much of the ceramic.

This photo makes the scratches look worse than they are.

[​IMG]

2. BarracksSi Suspended

BarracksSi

Hmm. Not sure; mine is pristine, but I've got the Sport band, not the ML.

3. IphoneIssues macrumors 65816

That's probably what did it. Even people with the Space Black have mentioned allowing the DLC-coated Space Black Milanese Loop to rest against the back of the watch has scratched it up.

4. gigaguy macrumors 65816

both the metal band and the charger are scratching the back of the watch. not sure how to avoid it.

5. BarracksSi Suspended

BarracksSi

I won't blame the charger; like I said, my SS's back looks great, and it uses the same charger as all the others.

6. bobkeenan thread starter macrumors member

I believe its the brief contacts with the steel milanese band every morning that is doing it. So now I know not to do that. The next question is there anyway to polish out the micro scratches without running the ceramic coating. I tried a few minutes of toothpaste but it did not improve much but it also did not hurt the unscratched areas to my eyes.

7. ballstriker32 macrumors newbie

Did you ever try polish to remove the scratches? Did it work? Thanks for any info.

8. Bazooka-joe macrumors 68000

Bazooka-joe

The Milanese loop can be really abusive to stainless steel or any other material . If you don't put the watch on carefully ensuring that the band doesn't touch the metal, it will create micro scratches. Those scratches on the back of your watch were definitely caused by resting the back on the band.
    If you are that concerned about maintaining your watches cosmetic appearance then rest it on its side on a soft cloth.