Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Six0Four

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 27, 2020
I think mine is being caused by a microfiber cloth somehow. Possibly has microscopic particles in it. I have to really look in the right light to see them.

Has this ever happened to you ? Do you have micro scratches on your display ? Do they bother you ?

IngerMan

macrumors 68020
Feb 21, 2011
Michigan
Did you try cleaning with a moist cloth to make sure. I’ve seen marks look like scratches until I cleaned with a moist cloth. Try dampening a cloth with water.

Last edited:

Herrpod

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2019
I'm guessing you might be seeing marks within the screen anti-glare coating.

nill1234

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2012
Also got my first ding at the edge if the lid, it just happens. I rarely clean my devices with microfiber cloths because the smallest particles can scratch them. Before cleaning it spray the dust of with canned air and use a fresh high quality microfiber cloth.

Six0Four

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 27, 2020
OK so problem solved?

No it's not.
[automerge]1588522994[/automerge]
Did you try cleaning with a moist cloth to make sure. I’ve seen marks look like scratches until I cleaned with a moist cloth. Try dampening a cloth with water.

100% they are scratches.
[automerge]1588523071[/automerge]
I'm guessing you might be seeing marks within the screen anti-glare coating.

Ya could be. either way the screen it getting micro scratches.

Still nobody is answering my questions.

Nbd1790

macrumors 6502
Jan 2, 2017
New York
I have a 2015 MBP that I use regularly (both at home and travel). I clean it weekly with a microfiber cloth and a spray or two of water on it as well. Can't say I have any scratches on my screen at all. You mentioned rubbing your nail against your screen. Sounds like that might be the harshest thing happening to it.

Six0Four

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 27, 2020
I have a 2015 MBP that I use regularly (both at home and travel). I clean it weekly with a microfiber cloth and a spray or two of water on it as well. Can't say I have any scratches on my screen at all. You mentioned rubbing your nail against your screen. Sounds like that might be the harshest thing happening to it.

Lol ya i know right. I just did it lightly though so it's ok. Not gonna make a habit of it. The scratch can only be seen in the right light. Do you know if the MBA 2020 is gorilla glass ?

Thanks.

Herrpod

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2019
No it's not.
[automerge]1588522994[/automerge]

100% they are scratches.
[automerge]1588523071[/automerge]

Ya could be. either way the screen it getting micro scratches.

Still nobody is answering my questions.
If they're in the anti glare coating, they're not scratches.

Six0Four

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 27, 2020
If they're in the anti glare coating, they're not scratches.

Oh ok. Hard to tell if it's in the glass or coating. Having them on just the coating wouldn't make it any better though lol.

guiguigui

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2020
Do you have a picture?
It seems no one is getting their screen scratched neither should be scratched with normal cleaning.
If it's really bothering I would consider calling apple and asking for a replacement... It's free and no questions asked the first 14days

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
I've never had micro-scratches on a MacBook screen going all the way back to 2011.

Then again, I

1. try not to touch it, at all
  2. am very gentle with swiping dust specs out of the way if required with the back of my hand to avoid fingerprints
  3. as a result, do not spend a lot of time cleaning my screen because it generally doesn't get dirty.
I can count the number of times I cleaned either the 2011 MacBook Pro or 2015 MacBook Pro screens I had in the 5 years I ran each of them on one hand.

I haven't cleaned my 2020 air screen yet because it has no marks on it yet.

Reactions: RiaKoobcam

IngerMan

macrumors 68020
Feb 21, 2011
Michigan
Your in your return window. It should not scratch from a simple cleaning. SEND IT BACK! Get a new one again. In fact call them and explain its scratched. Then you can keep it till the new one arrives.

Reactions: Six0Four

Six0Four

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 27, 2020
Your in your return window. It should not scratch from a simple cleaning. SEND IT BACK! Get a new one again. In fact call them and explain its scratched. Then you can keep it till the new one arrives.

Hey ya i was thinking about that i was just worried that it might have been my wrong doing. Every time i clean my phone or laptop with a microfiber cloth i make sure to shake it out first so its free of any harder particles.

Might go down to Bestbuy tomorrow and try and exchange it. Thanks.

IngerMan

macrumors 68020
Feb 21, 2011
Michigan
Don't feel guilty about something that should not happen. It probably was there to begin with and you just did not notice. Ive cleaned my devices hundreds of times and have not noticed any scratches except 2 year old iPads and iPhones. Never a 2 year old laptop. The other devices are touch and more extreme conditions.

Reactions: Six0Four
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.