Micro SD adaptor for rMBP 13"??

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ramus88, May 10, 2014.

1. ramus88 macrumors newbie

Hey everyone,

There seems to be a problem with finding a cheap alternatives to NiftyDrive for rMBP 13". On the NiftyDrive website, they are charging 40 dollars + shipping for a piece of plastic!

That's too much to pay for and I am looking for alternatives. Unfortunately, all the alternatives seem to be made for rMBP 15" or MBA, and will not work with the rMBP 13".

I looked into PNY StorEDGE as well and it seems to also stick out 7mm or so if used in the rMBP 13".

Has anyone found a solution to this problem?

Thank you.

2. Lunfai macrumors 65816

Lunfai

http://www.theminidrive.com/collections/minidrive-capped-microsd-adapters you can probably find them cheaper on Amazon too! :)

3. ramus88 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your response but those do not fit in the rMBP 13" as far as I know... Those only fir the 15" rMBP and MBA. Am I correct?

4. ColdCase macrumors 68030

Years ago there were some adapters that could be cut down/modified to fit. Dunno the brand off hand... but there was quite a bit off discussion over in the MBA forum. At that time I purchased a couple minidrive MBA versions and sanded one down to fit the rMBP 15 slot. Nifty and mini drive are the only two "name brand" vendors that I am aware of.

How much different is the 13 and 15 slot dimensions?

BTW, I found the micro SDs to not be very "robust" or durable in comparison the regular SD cards.

5. Saint.Icon macrumors regular

What you want is an adapter specifically made for the rMBP 13".

You know who makes one, designed to match perfectly, and that accepts high storage capacity MicroSD cards. To my knowledge, Nifty is the only company specifically making an adapter for the rMBP 13".

The issue here is that you don't want to pay for it. If you want something specific, pay for it and stop being cheap.

6. ramus88 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for taking your time but you are stating the obvious. I don't mean to be disrespectful but I don't need you tell me to stop being cheap. It's my personal view and you absolutely have no right to tell me what I should do or not.

It's baffling that the competitors can't create smaller one, so I was wondering if there were any that were cheaper. 40 dollars for an adaptor is ridiculous.

Thanks regardless.

7. Saint.Icon macrumors regular

I'm not telling you what to do. To do so I'd need to actually care what you do. It's of zero consequence to me if you buy it or don't. I was trying to be helpful, as I'm quite familiar with the product, and you're replying by telling me what I have "no right" to do.

The facts are simple. Nifty is the only company making rMBP 13" SD adapters. They're $40, and if you don't like it that's too bad. Either buy from them, or wait for some unspecified amount of time until another company makes one.

8. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Must be a good reason though, the market has a habit of fulfilling need where it can do so cost effectively.

9. Marty62 macrumors 6502

I have a "Nifty Drive" in my MBP 15, they do make a 13 version.
    It fits perfectly and looks like it was always part of my Mac :)

For that, I'm happy to pay the $40 or €33 whatever it was.

I wouldn't want a "hack job" that sticks out and is made of plastic

---- oh Yeah the "Nifty Drive" is Aluminium and matches the case of the MBP so
    I think you were meaning mini drive as the plastic version.

Marty.

10. marivaux macrumors member

If it helps, the makers of "The Minidrive" claim to have a product for the 13" rmpb coming soon--I'm actually waiting for that one to see what the price is. (I agree that $40 for a little adaptor is a lot, since you're then going to have to buy an expensive microsd card on top of it). See the last few pages of this thread for a discussion about it:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1400326&page=7

The Minidrive people chimed in and talked about their future plans, which supposedly involve releasing something similar to the PNY for the rmpb in the next month or two.

In the meantime, I've been using this teeny flash drive for extra storage--it's not flush, but it is surprisingly unobtrusive--and you could use it for something else if you get a MicroSD thingy later.

http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Cruzer-Low-Profile-Drive-SDCZ33-064G-B35/dp/B00FJRS6QY

11. ramus88 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your information! Yeah, there are also micro SD adaptors that go into the USB port that is very unobtrusive as well. But as you already know, our rMBP only has 2 USB ports which isn't enough!

I may have to resort to that until someone makes a normally priced adaptor :)

12. marivaux macrumors member

Yes, the Sandisk is less than ideal, but it's inexpensive and it can be used later as a flash drive for some other purpose when there is a better permanent solution.

I think that "The Minidrive" or someone else will have something in the relatively near future. Until six months ago, there wasn't really a giant number of 13" rMBP owners, and the machine has an entirely non-standard-size SD slot. It takes time to engineer new things and also to decide that there is a big enough market for them for it to be worth it. Price aside, regular SD-card storage is faster than microSD, so if you can wait, you might get something better than the Nifty.