Micro SIM at London Heathrow?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Joony, Dec 11, 2010.

1. Joony macrumors regular

(Did a search, came up with some older threads but no direct answers, like this one, or this blog post)

Going to London for the Holidays...for US based travelers, what's the best option for getting a Micro SIM at LHR to use in the iPad? Or do I need to venture out into the city for that?

Have a friend's UK address, but only a US credit card, since that's the issue for some carriers.

Finally, Is there any way to avoid reactivation by connecting to iTunes? (don't want to haul my MBP...)

Thoughts?

2. RadioGru macrumors newbie

Hi,

You're going to be out of luck at Heathrow I'm afraid as to the best of my knowledge there's no Mobile Stores land side and only Dixons air side!

Your best bet is any of Three Mobile stores in and around London who'll sell you a PAYG Data Sim for iPad. Their plans change on a regular basis but they usually start from around £7.50 for 1GB/30 days.

The Sim is activated at point of purchase so all you'll need to do is put it in and change the APN settings which are printed on the Sim Card Pack! You can register it online to top it up if you so desire.

Disclaimer: O2, Orange and Vodafone all offer the same or similar product but I've found in the home countries and London that Three have by far the best coverage.

Finally - can I spin this question round and ask you where I can get the same thing in New York or Boston please for an up coming trip? I don't want to have to sign up to AT&T and then cancel at the end of the month!

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Radio Gru.

3. ThisIsRuss macrumors newbie

ThisIsRuss

I work for O2 a UK network if you just wonder into any O2 store we will provide you with a micro sim for free for your iPad or iPhone 4

Here is a link to the tariffs:
    http://shop.o2.co.uk/ipadtariffs/