Micro-SIM card question...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by barrywalsh789, Jun 7, 2010.

1. barrywalsh789 macrumors newbie

This might be a stupid question but it's something I'd like to be 100% sure about. I'm with a network called Meteor in Ireland. They don't sell iPhones, I'm gonna switch to O2, no biggie, they're good enough for me and I can keep my number the exact same as before, even with a new SIM card from O2.

But, what I'm a little concerned about is the new micro-SIM in the iPhone 4, that I'm considering. I'm using a 7 year old phone made by a company that I don't think exists anymore so this is gonna be one hell of a transition for me, heh. This micro-SIM, I'm assuming it's Apple-made. Is it safe to assume I could bring this card into an O2 store and keep the same number yet again?? It's very important to me that I keep the same number.
    Thank you...

2. skball123 macrumors regular

When you go into the O2 store, you will "port" your number to their services. Then they will supply you with a new micro-SIM that has your number on it ready for the iPhone.

3. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

micro-sim is an industry standard. It will work on any carrier.

And no, I don't think Apple makes them. They are usually carrier supplied.

And the sim has nothing to do with keeping your number. Not sure how number porting works in Ireland. Just go to O2...they'll take care of it all.

4. barrywalsh789 thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh, so O2 WOULD have these SIM cards? I thought it was something just made by Apple to squeeze that last bit of space in! Never heard of them before, lol...
    That's brilliant, thanks a lot!!