Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chestvrg

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 13, 2010
I wonder if the next iPhone version will have micro USB support. I keep reading about how in Europe a standard applies that all phone company makers must comply with a universal charger.

Apple can always leave it's sync port and on the upper right or left hand side put a micro USB port to give users an additional charging option which most phones now have.

Cheater Vargas - Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MattZani

macrumors 68030
Apr 20, 2008
UK
I doubt it, the most we'll get is an adapter so it could work with a universal charger

androiphone

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2009
It could just come with an adaptor, and then it may only come with the adaptor in the EU market.

the universal charging port is certainly a very good idea esp for people who travel or stay in hotels a lot (as you can often borrow a charger from reception if there isn't one in your room)

It would be useful if it was built in as you wouldnt be able to forget the adaptor, but I don't know if it will.

and remember this whole universal charger was a voluntary proposal that apple chose to join - to curb the 'EU should not dare to medal in apples world' crowd

vincenz

macrumors 601
Oct 20, 2008
Nah, wouldn't happen. Don't see Apple moving away from their connector. That thing is sturdy, especially for docking. All they'd do is make an adapter.

chestvrg

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 13, 2010
Even if Apple didnt want to move away from their connectors, they can still leave the iPhone/iPad/iTouch connector in place and just add the additional microUSB connector on a side of the iPhone. Nokia has done this transitioning from their propriortary nokia chargers to microUSB by allowing these two charging options. (Eg. Nokia E72)

Dr McKay

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2010
Kirkland
I think the idea is great, there are often times when I've stayed at a friends, and forgotten my charger, and the friend in question doesn't own any iDevices.

chestvrg

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 13, 2010
I think the idea is great, there are often times when I've stayed at a friends, and forgotten my charger, and the friend in question doesn't own any iDevices.

Yes is a great idea Benjy91, look at RIM, Nokia, Samsung, HTC and other smartphone companies out there embracing microUSB as a standard protocol for at least charging and syncing. In the case of Apple's iPhone at least for charging it is a great idea.

I would only have to carry one car charger, have one microUSB charger, and with the same charger that I charge my bluetooth headset I would be able to charge my iPhone5 :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.