Microcell and AW3

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Lumpydog, Sep 23, 2017.

1. Lumpydog macrumors 6502

Anyone know if AW3 will pair automatically with an in-home microcell? Or does it have its own unique phone number that needs to be added to the microcell’s “whitelist”?

2. dave006 Contributor

dave006

That's an interesting question. Not sure that you would ever need this based on how the Watch uses different connectivity methods. First the watch tries Bluetooth to your paired iPhone, then it tries Wi-Fi and finally only as a last result direct LTE that might connect to your MicroCell if we knew how to list it as one of the 15 Devices that the MicroCell will allow.

LTE is a big drain on the watch battery, so be design it really hard not to use LTE.

Note: The watch does get a unique phone number so why not try having both listed on your MicroCell.

Dave

3. Lumpydog thread starter macrumors 6502

Dave - great response, thank you. It sounds like microcells are 3G only. So that rules out direct connectivity with the AW3 which I believe cannot down shift to 3G. But, to your point, it can indirectly connect via the phone. I’m trying this setup and will report back.

4. F1ferrari macrumors newbie

I had to help my mother with this very thing this morning! Her series 3 wasn't showing as “connected” to AT&Ts network at her house. We went to her microcell management page, added the number assigned to her Watch to the approved lines list, power cycled the Watch, and bingo, connected right away.