microcell + iphone4

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by vivithemage, Feb 22, 2011.

1. vivithemage macrumors 6502a

vivithemage

Anyone else have an issue where they try to access app store, or in gamecenter stuff, or anything network related (safari ,email, etc) and it just blanks out like there is not network connection, even though it's 5 bars of microcell?

This happens to me obsessionally ... anyone else notice this?

2. nivekr11 macrumors regular

Data has always been slow over the microcell for me. I just use wifi. When you use data on the microcell, it has to go over an ipsec vpn tunnel back to AT&T before going to the internet.

3. elan123 macrumors 6502

microcell = waste

4. vivithemage thread starter macrumors 6502a

vivithemage

not when you have 1 to no bars of 3G in your condo.

When 3G works, it's as quick as my 50MB comcast. The only issue I have is, sometimes DATA doesn't work at all (SMS/MMS/VOICE work), yet is connected?

5. joeconvert macrumors 6502

truer equalities have never been spoken.....

6. Missjenna macrumors 6502a

Missjenna

When you usually have to go sit on your front porch just to make a call because you only have 1-2 bars of EDGE, it's not a waste.

7. Oilbrnr macrumors 6502

Exactly how is being able to use your iPhone in your residence/office, where there is no cell coverage otherwise, a waste? Please enlighten us. :rolleyes:

OP I think that nivekr11 pretty much explained it. I did notice sometimes that with both 3G and WiFi on, I would have data speed weirdness. Shut off one or the other, then things were fine.

8. drummingcraig macrumors 6502a

drummingcraig

I can't speak from experience, but since the microcell works off of a broadband connection you hopefully have a wireless connection running so it would seem better to use that for your data as the user above mentions.

If you don't have a wifi network available...well...that sucks I guess. :(

9. vivithemage thread starter macrumors 6502a

vivithemage

I GUESS that could explain, seems like a rather bland answer though. IPSEC isn't slow by any means .... let alone over my 50mb connection that is rarely saturated.

Those of you saying Microcell is a waste, have no idea what you're talking about.

10. drummingcraig macrumors 6502a

drummingcraig

I haven't used one yet, but I hear they (can) work well. I have solid service in my home, but my friend who lives maybe 4 miles East of me has very spotty service in his home. I keep pushing him to try and get one of these as both he and his wife have iP4's and they have Comcast broadband.

11. vivithemage thread starter macrumors 6502a

vivithemage

They work 1000% of the time for voice, which I use 5k-6k+ worth of minutes a month on (work from home - madgenius.com), it's just data they seem to be a little flaky on.

I'd rather have this then nothing though, that's for sure...I've had T-Mobile, Verizon, Sprint, and they all had horrible reception in my building (11 unit brownstone in Minneapolis).

12. vistadude macrumors 65816

Works fine for voice. However for data, I have to switch to airplane mode and back to normal mode every time i switch from 3G to microscell 3G, otherwise data will never work even if i have 5 bars. Annoying because it disconnects me from skype and instant messaging without warning unless I do the airplane mode reset.

13. vivithemage thread starter macrumors 6502a

vivithemage

pretty much my issue, but only half the time.

14. anthony922 macrumors newbie

I couldn't agree more with all the replies here, get away with flash.
    But this seems to be a totally different reaction than a couple of months ago when there where a lot of people crying that the EVO had flash, so why couldn't apple do it?!