Microcenter, What the Heck?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by puttputt, Nov 29, 2010.

1. puttputt macrumors regular

Stopped by Microcenter here in Michigan yesterday and noticed that they reduced their Apple department to 2 SMALL rows.

It used to take up about 1,500 square feet, now it's probably 400 square feet.

There were several macbooks/pros on display all lined up in a cramped aisle, you couldn't even get to them if there were 2 other people there.

Do you suppose they're dropping Apple (or vice versa)?
    It just seems like a bad idea to reduce the space for a line of electronic devices that is gaining market share.

The space that was formerly occupied by Macs is now full of boxed monitors.

Seen anything like this in other Microcenters around the country?

2. jetblk328i macrumors 6502

The microcenter near me, Rockville MD was always really small compared to other sections of the store. Stayed the same....

3. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Haven't been to a Microcenter in the NE Ohio area in about a year, but the last time I checked they still had a sizeable Apple section and reasonably knowledgeable staff.

It's a good place to go to get some parts and components, and I bought my G3 iMac there, but I now go thtough a local Apple Reseller/Service center who have been around since the 80s and know their business better than any Microcenter, or even Apple Store for that matter.

4. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

In the really old days, they are one of the few places to buy Apple products in person.

However there might be a thing called the Apple Store.

5. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

I'm sort of baffled by the idea of MC dropping Apple. There is no evidence of Apple decreasing its retail footprint whatsoever. With iPads in Target and (allegedly) TJ Maxx, I'm surprised at any reduction in retail space devoted to Apple gear. I've seen Zune retail space disappear but not Apple. So what is probably going on is Microcenter made some decision to reduce their Apple footprint. I noticed that they don't have all the freshest Apple gear. I was at that same Michigan store a week or so ago and I was surprised they still devoted so much space to older Macbooks and had none of the new Macbook Airs on display. To me, it appeared Microcenter's priority had already shifted away from Apple for whatever reason so a reduction in retail space is no surprise. Will they drop Apple altogether? No. I think they will keep a few around, but I wouldn't expect them to waste floor trying to sell off older models that must be slow movers with Best Buy 1/2 mile away and an Apple store 2 miles away. For MC retail Apple space to grow, they have to put out some newer gear or they might as well use the space to push all those PC clones and flat screen TV's they seem to have so many of.

6. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

The Microcenter near me has whole separated section for Apple products. They even went to the trouble of walling it off, putting in Windows facing the inside of the store with a doorway and placing a separate cash register. So it's like an Apple store within a store.

So I would say that the level of Apple commitment is store specific based on demand in the region.

7. Aaron from KY macrumors member

Michigan is still struggling economically. Maybe your store is cutting back because people don't have the money to buy Apple gear like they used to. Also, they have the older macbooks on display to clear them out, I don't think they can just send them back to Apple. They have to sell through them to make room for the new models, or to entice buyers with marked down previous gen machines. At least that's what I've noticed in the Sharonville Ohio store.

8. Roy Hobbs macrumors 68000

Roy Hobbs

or maybe that particular Microcenter is stuggling to sell Apple gear due to the 2 Apple stores within 5-10 miles of Microcenter (Somerset and Partridge Creek)

9. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

Dont forget 12 Oaks. So there are 3 Apple stores within 5-15 miles, and at least half a dozen Best Buys with Apple sections within the same distance.

Microcenter (MC) has been selling slightly older gear at a discount hoping to entice people away from relatively close Best Buys and Apple stores. This tactic has not worked. While I like to save money, it didn't work for me b/c MC doesn't honor the corporate discount I get when I buy gear at the Apple store and I decided it was better to get the latest gear directly from the Apple. Of course there is a huge difference between the attention I get at MC versus the attention I get at the Apple store.

@velocityg4: How many Best Buys (with Apple sections) and Apple stores are near the MC in your area?

10. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

The Long Island store is the same. They tend to have current hardware on display but the shelves are filled with way too many outdated products.

11. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

- Apple Stores 3: 2 within 20 minutes, 1 within 45
    - Best Buy 4: 1 within 5 minutes, 3 within 30
    - Fry's Electronics 2: 2 within 45 minutes
    - Microcenter 1: additional store within 45 minutes

The other Microcenter which I have not been to has a Fry's and Best Buy within 5 minutes distance. Though I don't know if all the Best Buy's have Apple sections.

I had no idea there were so many Best Buy's in my area and this just covers the north metro Atlanta area and the northern half of Atlanta.

Driving times estimated from the Microcenter I visit at midday between heavy commute traffic times.

12. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

Fry's....

drool...

We don't get those here.

So you are saying that there is a MC with a large dedicated Apple section in the thick of a bunch of Apple retailers. Now I must turn my theories to the economy. Around here things are so bad, people are bottom feeding at MC hence the lack of a credible Apple section. A few years ago there was a map that showed the spread of unemployment like a cancer. The US started off mostly orange (4% or lower) and turned mostly purple/black (10% or higher). Guess what state was already mostly purple/black? Yes it was Michigan. Guess which state will be dead last to go back to normal employment again? Historically Michigan has been first to get sick and last to get well.

13. MacSignal macrumors regular

MC has to compete with multiple Best Buys and two Apple stores where I live. I was in the local MC last week to buy a battery charger and noticed some of the display area had been changed up to give the iPads a high profile placement.

Personally, I wasn't thinking that the changes were very impressive as far as product display, but the floor space allocation remains the same.

I hope MC continues to sell Apple. It makes MC a more interesting place to shop and provides more variety and competition to the benefit of Apple consumers.