Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

amarcus

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2008
London, UK
What looks better, OLED or microLED?
A microLED display should look a lot better as they are expected to get brighter and have a higher color gamut.

OLED is better. It has true blacks and great viewing angles. The ipads with microled have blooming. So I’m confused why apple would do this. Seems like a definite downgrade.
Easy to get confused but iPads have miniLED not microLED. At the moment, microLED is basically the holy grail of display technology and is definitely seen as superior to OLED. Hopefully, the table below will make this clearer.

LEDminiLEDOLEDmicroLED
ProductsApple Studio Display, iMac, MacBook Air, iPad Air, iPad miniApple Pro Display XDR, MacBook Pro, iPad Pro (12.9")iPhone, iPhone Pro, Apple Watch, Apple Watch Ultra-
Display typeBacklitBacklitEmissiveEmissive
ContrastLowMediumHighHigh
Response timeLow (ms)Low (ms)Medium (µs)High (ns)
EfficiencyMediumMediumMediumHigh
LifetimeLongLongMediumLong
BrightnessMediumMediumMediumHigh
BloomingNoYesNoNo
Viewing anglesLowLowHighHigh
FlexibilityLowLowHighMedium
Operating temperatureMediumMediumMediumHigh

Last edited:

Ghost31

macrumors 68040
Jun 9, 2015
I now understand why people have a five-year-old Apple Watch and still say they see no reason to upgrade. I have an Apple Watch Ultra and I can’t imagine a single thing that would get me to upgrade at this point. A better screen? I’m not exactly watching movies on this thing. The screen is plenty, bright and perfect for what I need.

More speed? For what? Using the Workout app? Reminders? Better battery? Why? My ultra already last me a few days. I understand how people just want to buy something new and shiny but in this economy, I’m a little more careful with how I spend my money.

Mr. Dee

macrumors 603
Dec 4, 2003
Jamaica
I now understand why people have a five-year-old Apple Watch and still say they see no reason to upgrade. I have an Apple Watch Ultra and I can’t imagine a single thing that would get me to upgrade at this point. A better screen? I’m not exactly watching movies on this thing. The screen is plenty, bright and perfect for what I need.

More speed? For what? Using the Workout app? Reminders? Better battery? Why? My ultra already last me a few days. I understand how people just want to buy something new and shiny but in this economy, I’m a little more careful with how I spend my money.
Apple doesn't want to admit, but a lot of their newer products are really targeted at folks with obsolete devices. But they don't mind if you upgrade from say a 2021 MacBook Pro to a 2023 MacBook Pro.

Reactions: Pinkyyy 💜🍎

bushman4

macrumors 601
Mar 22, 2011
Predicting 2 years in advance with Apple is impossible. Even Apple doesn’t know what they’re going to do that far back in advance
A better title to the story would be Apple looking into implementation of Micro LED screens in the future

Ghost31

macrumors 68040
Jun 9, 2015
Apple doesn't want to admit, but a lot of their newer products are really targeted at folks with obsolete devices. But they don't mind if you upgrade from say a 2021 MacBook Pro to a 2023 MacBook Pro.
Could’ve fooled me. Every year they don’t compare their newer devices to 5 year old iPhones. They compare them to previous years. They don’t have the yearly iPhone upgrade program for people that have obsolete devices either.

They’re targeting everybody with hype and advertising. The upgrades are nice, but it’s definitely not like the old days where every upgrade seemed like the biggest deal. Especially in the Apple Watch space, I don’t think there’s a ton of room for improvement in the next couple years.

Tagbert

macrumors 603
Jun 22, 2011
Seattle
I’ve had my U1 for a year and love it. But I can honestly say I have not for one nanosecond thought how much I really wish it was microLED. Maybe after two more years of hype I will get enthused about it.
MicroLED has the potential to reduce the power used by the display. That could extend the battery life. I'm looking forward to that.

spcopsmac21

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2009
microLED can’t get to phones soon enough! To watches and beyond!

(So ready for these strobing OLED screens to be a thing of the past.)
Micro LED, pshhhhhhh the need apple screen tech to hit will be called ATOMIC NANO OLED FLUX CAPACITOR . Apples going to reverse engineer a human small enough to put a screen together that’s held with a FINEWOVEN LED ATOMIC matrix.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.