Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple was working on a version of the Apple Watch Ultra with a microLED display, but work on the project has been canceled for now. Apple no longer plans to develop microLED display technology in-house, and plans for a microLED Apple Watch have been nixed or indefinitely delayed.

apple-watch-ultra-purple.jpg

This guide highlights the rumors that we heard about the microLED Apple Watch.

MicroLED Apple Watch Ultra

Introduced in 2022, the current Apple Watch Ultra uses standard OLED technology. MicroLED is, as the name suggests, LED display technology rather than OLED display technology, but it offers many of the benefits of OLED along with some improvements. The microLED Apple Watch was rumored to include a 2.1-inch diagonal display.

MicroLED displays are brighter and have more vibrant colors and rumors suggested the display would a look like content is "painted on top of the glass."

MicroLED Overview

MicroLED is a new technology that's been around for about two decades, but it has not yet been mass produced, because of the costs associated with it and the difficulty of making the displays. Samsung, for example, has made a microLED TV, but it sells for $150,000.

As the name suggests, microLED uses microscopic LEDs for individual pixels. The production process involves creating little tiny LEDs on a wafer and transferring them to a backplane, a process that hasn't been perfected yet because of the time that it takes to test all of those LEDs. Since this is nascent technology, there are new cutting-edge production techniques in the works, and multiple companies are focused on figuring out microLED.

Compared to LED displays, microLED is much more energy efficient and it would likely notably increase battery life on the Apple Watch Ultra and other devices that adopt the technology in the future. Unlike OLED, there's much less risk of screen burn-in, and microLEDs have a longer potential lifetime.

MicroLED displays also provide contrast improvements and faster response times because of the pixel-level individual lights, plus the color is better and brighter. In a nutshell, it's a next-generation technology superior to OLED and miniLED. Like OLED displays, microLED displays can be flexible, so if Apple eventually transitions to foldable devices, those products could use microLED. The technology would also work for curved displays.

Apple's In-House Display Development

MicroLED is not like Apple's other display technologies because it was the first display type that Apple was planning to design in-house. Rather than using a third-party display supplier like Samsung or LG Display, Apple aimed to design the displays itself and have them manufactured by partners like TSMC.

Apple spent over six years working on microLED technology, and it invested billions into developing new displays. Way back in 2015, Apple opened a secret laboratory in northern Taiwan to work on thinner, brighter, and more energy-efficient displays for future iOS devices, and rumors suggested the factory was dedicated to microLED. In 2023 Bloomberg called microLED one of the company's most "critical projects," but it was scrapped because it was not too expensive and complicated.

Apple in February ended a relationship with ams OSRAM a company that was going to supply it with microLED panels for the Apple Watch Ultra, and Apple also stopped working with a manufacturing company contracted to develop components for the device in March. News of the full cancelation of the project followed.

Apple reportedly had than 300 employees working on microLED display development. Those employees will be relocated to other departments, able to apply for new jobs within Apple, or laid off and provided with severance.

MicroLED Launch Date

There is no current plan to release a microLED Apple Watch. That could change in the future as Apple is said to be "eyeing" potential uses for other products, and "identifying" new suppliers and manufacturing processes.

Article Link: MicroLED Apple Watch Ultra: Now Canceled

Last edited:

Lcgiv

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2017
Hangzhou
Blooming and response times. If Apple can address these I would be happy(er) 😁 I just get bummed when I’m watching a dark scene (usually at night) in a movie/show/vid and the screen is giving me a glowing show with local dimming activating and deactivating (especially space scenes with stars) or the character looks like they have a ghost aura

TechNutt

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2007
I‘m good with mini-LED for MBP, OLED for iPad & micro-LED for Apple Watch.

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
I don’t really have anything to complain about my Ultra display, so if this does come in 2 years, that might give me a reason to upgrade.

AppleFanBoyForever

macrumors member
Jan 1, 2020

Apple is working on next-generation display technology called microLED, which will be coming to the Apple Watch Ultra first. We're not expecting the Apple Watch Ultra with microLED until 2025, but rumors about the device have been ramping up already.

apple-watch-ultra-purple.jpg

This guide highlights everything we know about Apple's work on a microLED watch and what Apple has in store for microLED in the future.

MicroLED Apple Watch Ultra

Introduced in 2022, the current Apple Watch Ultra uses standard OLED technology. MicroLED is, as the name suggests, LED display technology rather than OLED display technology, but it offers many of the benefits of OLED along with some improvements.

The microLED Apple Watch is expected to include a 2.1-inch diagonal display, but we aren't aware of any other features that the device might get as of yet.

Apple is already testing microLED displays for the Apple Watch, and the displays are said to feature brighter, more vibrant colors and a look like content is "painted on top of the glass."

It is unclear if Apple will update the Apple Watch Ultra prior to when it implements microLED, but given that we're at least two years away from the new model, we could get an in-between update. That said, it isn't yet known if Apple will update annually or if the Apple Watch Ultra will be more like the Apple Watch SE with occasional updates.

MicroLED Overview

MicroLED is a fairly new technology that's been around for about two decades, but it has not yet been mass produced, because of the costs associated with it and the difficulty of making the displays. Samsung, for example, has made a microLED TV, but it sells for $150,000.

As the name suggests, microLED uses microscopic LEDs for individual pixels. The production process involves creating little tiny LEDs on a wafer and transferring them to a backplane, a process that hasn't been perfected yet because of the time that it takes to test all of those LEDs. Since this is nascent technology, there are new cutting-edge production techniques in the works, and multiple companies are focused on figuring out microLED.

Compared to LED displays, microLED is much more energy efficient and it would likely notably increase battery life on the Apple Watch Ultra and other devices that adopt the technology in the future. Unlike OLED, there's much less risk of screen burn-in, and microLEDs have a longer potential lifetime.

MicroLED displays also provide contrast improvements and faster response times because of the pixel-level individual lights, plus the color is better and brighter. In a nutshell, it's a next-generation technology superior to OLED and miniLED.

Like OLED displays, microLED displays can be flexible, so if Apple eventually transitions to foldable devices, those products could use microLED. The technology would also work for curved displays.

Apple's In-House Display Development

MicroLED is not like Apple's other display technologies because it is the first display type that Apple is planning to design in-house. Rather than using a third-party display supplier like Samsung or LG Display, Apple is designing the displays itself and having them manufactured by partners like TSMC.

Apple has spent over six years working on microLED technology, and it has invested billions into developing new displays. Way back in 2015, Apple opened a secret laboratory in northern Taiwan to work on thinner, brighter, and more energy-efficient displays for future iOS devices, and rumors suggest that factory was dedicated to microLED. According to Bloomberg, it is one of the company's most "critical projects."

Apple reportedly has more than 300 employees working on microLED display development, but little is known about it outside of the company as of now. When Apple is able to transition to its own in-house displays, it will no longer need to rely on display partners.

MicroLED for Other Apple Devices

With OLED displays, Apple started with the Apple Watch before rolling out the technology to other devices, and the same thing is expected for microLED. The Apple Watch Ultra will be the first device with... Click here to read rest of article

Article Link: MicroLED Apple Watch Ultra: All the Rumors So Far
It would be nice if Apple invested billions in new battery technology. Something along the lines of solid state. Having a phone that needed charging once a week would make my day.👍

glenncashuric

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2019
I'm not saying it would be for everybody's taste, but a solar version like that on the Garmin devices would be appreciated.

• Haha
Reactions: SFjohn

Cancelled
Jan 31, 2023
This is classic Apple. Very smart.

Start on a lower-volume product like the Watch Ultra. Get the design and manufacturing kinks worked out at a lower volume. Start figuring out how to scale. Then move to the next higher volume product (e.g., Watches still lower volume than iPhone), and so on.

P.S. Plus they can "hide" the (initially) higher cost in a higher-cost product—again the Watch Ultra.

Reactions: Tagbert

Kierkegaarden

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2018
USA
Fall 2025 makes sense. This will be a big differentiator for their products, so I’m sure 2026 on will be a big rollout for this display tech.

SoundJudgment

macrumors regular
Jul 3, 2017
I just get bummed when I’m watching a dark scene (usually at night) in a movie/show/vid and the screen is giving me a glowing show with local dimming activating and deactivating (especially space scenes with stars) or the character looks like they have a ghost aura
You'll love MicroLED then. A lot better than the current display-tech (cost and manufacturing-issues aside).

jlc1978

macrumors 603
Aug 14, 2009
They should be cheaper cause apple is making them, not buying from Samsung, right?

Not necessarily. One cost driver is volume, and if TSMC is only making them for Apple, the costs could be comparable to buying from Samsung if Apple is just one buyer of screens.

flofixer

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2016
California
Will be cool to see MicroLED come to the iPhone and iPad, but I really can't be pressed to care about the sharpness of the Apple Watch screen. WatchOS is made for glanceable interactions, not time spent admiring the screen tech.
according to the article, there is potentially less power used for the microLED displays, so increased battery life could be a major gain

Pindabaas

macrumors newbie
Apr 29, 2023
Will be cool to see MicroLED come to the iPhone and iPad, but I really can't be pressed to care about the sharpness of the Apple Watch screen. WatchOS is made for glanceable interactions, not time spent admiring the screen tech.
Well if it means that we then will get some realistic watch faces instead of the kiddo ones we have right now, I would welcome it

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.