Microphone for Ipod Touch

Discussion in 'iPod touch Hacks' started by madofrain, Nov 22, 2007.

1. madofrain macrumors member

madofrain

http://www.tuaw.com/2007/11/21/ipod-touch-audio-in-reportedly-working/

Well nearly.. Encouraging though.. :)

Skype client alrerady running on Touch for instant messaging: http://www.shapeservices.com/en/products/details.php?product=skype

Where I live I have blanket wifi coverage and voip would obviously be a great addition to my pod.

I dont use my mobile phone enough to warrant an 18 month contract or anything above the bare minimum I pay currently to O2. VOIP would allow me to make the limited phone calls I currently make home for free to my mac.

Here's to hoping it all comes together soon.

2. Aaleck macrumors 6502a

Aaleck

Wow. If this is seriously exploited and used by thousands of people for skype, the only real difference between the iphone and ipod touch would be the camera...

3. verbalist macrumors member

i want a tiny little speaker i could plug into my ipt thats all i really want a damm speaker it would be so good like that

4. SpookTheHamster macrumors 65816

SpookTheHamster

... and lack of radio. WiFi isn't everywhere. There are still a lot of things you'd be missing.

5. tonybeyondo macrumors member

There are many small speakers that you can plug in to an audio output headphone jack- you'd just need one with a battery. I'll sometimes plug my computer speakers to my iPod at my desk. Most any 1/8" will work.

6. verbalist macrumors member

yeah i want something that can be and add on and i can keep in there macally makes what i need but way to big

7. Aaleck macrumors 6502a

Aaleck

WiFi is everywhere I go... Drove through town and there where tons of unsecured access points available and theres one at work

8. SpookTheHamster macrumors 65816

SpookTheHamster

And when you leave town? An iPod Touch could never replace a phone, but it could be a nice Skype phone for home/work.

9. Aaleck macrumors 6502a

Aaleck

I don't leave town that much though... I work a lot so it's perfect for me, though for others it could be quite a problem

10. BlakTornado Guest

BlakTornado

Hopefully this is promising for when the 3rd party apps starting coming in.

Official Skype client for iPhone/iPod Touch anyone? That would be awesome. And Apple wouldn't lose anything either since the people who need phones will still get phones. Wifi isn't everywhere, after all.

11. verbalist macrumors member

12. madofrain thread starter macrumors member

madofrain

Ipod Touch Mic For Sale!

Same guys developing the mic finally having something for mass consumption..

http://touchmods.blog.com/

They're sending them to developers to assist with the notes and voip apps...

:)

Appy days!

13. ipodtoucher macrumors 68000

ipodtoucher

!!!!!!!

i just saw this on Engadget!!!!! i sent them an email asking how much it will cost...hopefully they will answer back haha...i will update if i hear anything from them...

14. madofrain thread starter macrumors member

madofrain

contact yet?

I emailed last night also. Just the usual, congrats on the great work etc.
    Also asked if they had plans to sell it. Set up an online store etc.
    The demand i'd wager will outstrip supply. I think somone is going to be very busy over the next few months. :)

15. Texas04 macrumors 6502a

Texas04

I have been contacted...
    Well the contents of the e-mail say that it is available for $45 and I have to wire the money to their bank account. The price includes shipment to the EU and US, and he says I should receive the Mic in 5 - 10 days, and I can call back the money for a month if something should go wrong but there is "no risk for me".

I am a little spectacle that there is no PayPal or Ebay but I am not sure... :cool:.

16. ipodtoucher macrumors 68000

ipodtoucher

yeah it kind of scares me that he wants you to wire the money.....but i might consider it....but i don't know how useful it is now... are there apps that use it?...hmmm

17. madofrain thread starter macrumors member

madofrain

Hmmm

I received the same email..

'you can have one (or more) of those mics very soon if you send 30 Eu (USD 45) per piece in advance to my bank account. Or you can get the parts in the "do-it-yourself" package for Eu 20 (USD 30). I do not have an ebay neither a PayPal account. I do not trust them.'

Correct me if I'm wrong but Paypal exists to facilitate transactions between strangers that you otherwise maybe wary of?
    A third party like paypal ensures that if anything should go wrong they are liable to someone.

I'm sorry, but i think this is really,really dodgy.
    Apologies for posting this here.

:(

18. Texas04 macrumors 6502a

Texas04

I agree, :(

19. SpookTheHamster macrumors 65816

SpookTheHamster

It does sound quite dodgy, but so many people have been screwed by Paypal that it makes sense to avoid them.

20. Fofer macrumors 6502a

That is *not* a full Skype client. Yes, it logs into Skype and you see your buddy list, but you can't just start talking to them. You have to enter a "callback number" for the service to call you back at. (So basically, this still wouldn't work on an iPod touch.)

You could have it call you back on your iPhone... but what's the point, then, you're still using your cell minutes!

Ideally, it'd be nice to see a real, full-fledged Skype-VOIP client that relies on no middle-man. My hunch is we won't see that for awhile... if ever.

This mic would be good for voice recordings, though.

21. Fofer macrumors 6502a

22. verbalist macrumors member

hey thanks for the links bro i had the mcally one adds to much weight and awkwardness when holding a lil smaller with be awesome liek a small headphoen speakers with a 3,5mm hook up

23. japanime macrumors 68000

japanime

I'm sure that Griffin or one of the other "Made for iPod" players will eventually come out with a high-quality, mass-produced (and thus reasonably priced) microphone for the touch.

I salute this homebrewers, though.

24. frankiejoe577 macrumors newbie

There will never be a way that apple would let people use the IPT as a phone
    this way people would stop buying the Iphone and they would lose alot of money. They make tons of money every month from ATT for people who has iphones. If there was a phone on the IPT they would want money MONTHLY

25. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

Must be nice to live in a modern country. Here in Tokyo, I've found ONE unsecured network that I could connect to. That's right, just one, and I check everywhere I go. I'm not even talking about the suburbs, either - I walked all around Shibuya last week trying to get a signal but found absolutely nothing. You would think, in the heart of Tokyo Japan, one would be able to pick up an unsecured wifi network. :mad: