Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Raffles

macrumors member
Original poster
May 30, 2007
USA
Hi, I'm new here, so please forgive me if this is asked a lot!

I'd like a microphone for my miniDV camera. I bought one that connected to the A/V slot of my Canon ZR80, but the slot was only A/V out. What a way to waste $50. :rolleyes:

Now, I have a Sony DCR-HC36, and its ports are different. It has a miniUSB port, DV port, and A/V out (although the shape of this one is different.) Is there any way I can get a microphone to work with this camera?

Thanks!

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Hi, I'm new here, so please forgive me if this is asked a lot!

I'd like a microphone for my miniDV camera. I bought one that connected to the A/V slot of my Canon ZR80, but the slot was only A/V out. What a way to waste $50. :rolleyes:

Now, I have a Sony DCR-HC36, and its ports are different. It has a miniUSB port, DV port, and A/V out (although the shape of this one is different.) Is there any way I can get a microphone to work with this camera?

Thanks!

No mic input on that model. So here is your excuse to go buy an audio recorder.

ppc_michael

Apr 26, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
Hello Raffles,

What Chris was saying about an audio recorder is to get a separate device to record audio (such as a MiniDisc recorder or solid state recorder) which you can plug a good mic into, and record audio separately using that.

Recording audio separately becomes a bit of a hassle though, because then you need something like a clapper so that you can match up the clapping audio with the visual "clap" from the video, so that the audio and video are in sync. That's how I normally do things for bigger productions, but it can be too much of a hassle for home movie type stuff.

So I'm afraid your options are limited. :(

zioxide

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2006
That won't work, there's no microphone input on the camera. (I have the same one, it's meh).

Raffles

macrumors member
Original poster
May 30, 2007
USA
That won't work, there's no microphone input on the camera. (I have the same one, it's meh).

Yeah, I bought it to replace my ZR80, but after owning it for a few months, it feels like the same camera. I use them in tandem, but I'm considering on selling the ZR80 and getting a better one with a mic line in and other stuff.

polyethyleneguy

macrumors member
Jan 7, 2005
Florida
I'm not sure if the video quality is comparable, but I just picked up a sealed refurbished Canon ZR500 (which has a dedicated mic-in jack) off of Ebay for $156.00. It comes with Canon's refurb warranty too. Works great.

Raffles

macrumors member
Original poster
May 30, 2007
USA
I'm not sure if the video quality is comparable, but I just picked up a sealed refurbished Canon ZR500 (which has a dedicated mic-in jack) off of Ebay for $156.00. It comes with Canon's refurb warranty too. Works great.

Yeah, I've been doing some research. The only Sony with a mic-in is the HC96, which is out of my budget right now. Canon has the Elura 100, which is very tempting, and the ZR500, which oddly enough, is the only one of the ZR series to have a mic-in (reportedly because it's a feature teachers love). I was looking at the Elura 100, ZR500, ZR600, ZR700, and the DCR-HC36 in September, and I chose the DCR-HC36, which I sort of regret right now.

horse0107

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2008
Canon ZR850

You could try looking into this camera..

It's the only camera left that i know has a mic input through a mini plug, which isn't the best, but it's the only consumer camera that has any mic input.. Unless you go to much more expensive camera starting in the $1000 range..

But the Canon ZR850 goes for about $200 something..

brandlover

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2008
no mic too

I have a Sony HC3,,, with no mic input. However,, Sony makes a proprietary mic that fits the hot shoe and its bluetooth wireless.

It works great,, Sure I would like to use other mic's that would be compatible with other cams. But the cam was way cheaper than pro level cams.

When I bought the cam I remember seeing some hacks online,, but I don't have the time to hotwire my cam. The cam records 1080i and I am able to shoot great looking video. A good cameraman and good post editor can get great results out of low-end equipment.

-DH

macrumors 65816
Nov 28, 2006
Nashville Tennessee
A good cameraman and good post editor can get great results out of low-end equipment.

While that may be true, it's also true that it's much harder to fix bad audio in post than it is to fix bad video. Don't rely on post-production miracles to fix things that should have been done right in the first place.

-DH

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.