Microphone for Video

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by hayd93, Aug 6, 2009.

1. hayd93 macrumors newbie

Hey,

I am in the looking for a shotgun mic for use in short films, This doesn't need to be mountable using the usual hot-shoe connector but would be a nice addition if it did. The microphone if possible should be mono but stereo wouldn't bother me at all.

Now onto how much i want to spend ... well the answer really is as less as possible. I don't have a large budget at all so i would say the max should be around £25 - £30. I ain't expecting it to be the best mic in the world but i do expect the sound quality to be decent.

Thanks in advanced
    Dan

2. Rizvi1 macrumors 6502a

Laurel, MD (Baltimore, MD / Washington, DC area)
    Last fall when I bought my Canon XH-A1, I also bought an AT822 http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/wired_mics/665bdf92967733dc/index.html and the necessary mounts to put it on my camera. I bought it for $100 used which is outside of your budget, but not by a terrible amount.

I actually ended up having a fire at my house a few weeks later and no longer have the camera, but I still do have that microphone and I got one more AT822 from a friend. I've been meaning to send it to Audio-Technica for service.

I now have an HV20 and plan on getting another camcorder soon that's on the level of the XH-A1. I'm wondering if I could use my AT-822 w/ my HV20.

3. matteusclement macrumors 65816

matteusclement

I'll back up the Audio Technica mics.
    I have one that I bought off ebay for 40 bucks and was slick for my hv30.
    atr25
    I mean, it's not hollywood, but it's head and shoulders above the internal mic.

4. Rizvi1 macrumors 6502a

Laurel, MD (Baltimore, MD / Washington, DC area)
    Cool, assuming you meant at825 instead of atr25, I think we have a fairly identical set up. What did you use to mount your at825 to your hv30? I want to mount my AT822 to my HV20

5. matteusclement macrumors 65816

matteusclement

no no.
    I meant 25.
    cheap little thing that I got.
    Yours looks much higher end.
    My mic hooks up with a 1/8 jack and runs off a "AA" battery.

I just meant AT makes great stuff.