Microphone not working on speaker phone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by AK10R, Aug 20, 2010.

1. AK10R macrumors regular

I have the iPhone 4 and was doing face time and also calling a land line. When using face time or using the speaker phone on land line calls, the person on the other end is not able to hear me.

When using the phone in regular mode others have no problem hearing me (non-speaker phone).

Any ideas?

2. Maverick1337 macrumors 65816

Maverick1337

I believe you had my problem. When on speaker, the iPhone 4 uses the top microphone as the mic and the bottom one as the noise cancellation microphone. Try talking into the top. I fond it rather annoying since I can't look at my phone on speaker because it's upside down.

Hopefully this helps.

3. AK10R thread starter macrumors regular

I want to add, when I use the memo recorder the mic works fine. Does this mean that it is a software issue?

4. nunes013 macrumors 65816

nunes013

i think so, did you try a hard reset or even restore

5. dockingbay94 macrumors regular

dockingbay94

do a restore and set up the phone as new not from backup. see if you still have the problem.

6. AK10R thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks all…. Last night I updated from 4.0 to 4.2 and that did nothing. I also reset to factory settings. Still not working.

I’m heading out of town tonight so I’ll try the restore in a couple of days.

7. patdesignsinc macrumors regular

patdesignsinc

Don't bother with the restore, I had the EXACT same issue. Speakerphone mic didn't work but the voice memo did. Guess what...the mic doesn't work when you record a video as well. It's not software, it's hardware and Apple had to replace mine. Make yourself a genius appointment.

8. AK10R thread starter macrumors regular

Update:

I called Apple and did all of the reset options they run us through. Still did not solve the problem. Apple is sending me a new phone (closest store is 2K miles away)……..

9. Maverick1337 macrumors 65816

Maverick1337

When they sent you a new phone, did you have to pay the 29$ fee? How exactly does Apple sending you a new phone work. The closest Apple store to me is over 2 hours away.

10. AK10R thread starter macrumors regular

They give you the option of sending them you phone and then they will send you a new phone. Which means you would be without a phone.

Or for $29 they will overnight you a new phone but they put a $700 hold on your credit card until they get the replaced phone back.

Or if you buy Apple care (which I did while on the phone call) they wave the $29 fee. Apple care was about $70.