Microphone Options for Canon Vixia HF20

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Gator24765, Mar 4, 2010.

1. Gator24765 macrumors 6502a

Gator24765

I am looking to purchase a microphone for my camcorder. I have a canon vixia HF20. The only microphone input on it is one that looks like a headphone plug

Does anyone know any good microphones that would work well for this connection?

2. Seo macrumors regular

What are you looking to do with this microphone? Are you recording dialogue for short films or recording handheld home movies?

3. Gator24765 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Gator24765

nice.. anyone have experience with the kind of microphone ottawaguy posted?

anyone know if there is wireless lavalier mics that can hook up to this as well?

4. martinX macrumors 6502a

martinX

Check the shoe size of the HF20. My HFs-10 has a "special" Canon shoe that only fits Canon accessories.

5. Brien macrumors 68020

Brien

The HF-20 uses the same one. There's an adapter on Adorama, but it's like $30 bucks.

6. Seo macrumors regular

Every microphone has its purpose. I need to know what you plan on doing with the mic to recommend one.

As for the Rode VideoMic, it's commonly used on HDSLRs to sync sound. It can be used to record dialogue, but doesn't do it well since it was designed to be camera mounted. If you can ONLY camera mount your mic, this would be the one. However, you will not get good results. Mic placement is first and foremost, and even if you had one of the best mics in the world, it would be no better (and quite a bit worse) than a cheapo Azden properly boomed.