Microphone picks up internal volume

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by boulette, May 11, 2012.

1. boulette macrumors newbie

Hello all,

I have had this problem since I got my Macbook in 2010. When I am on Skype, or anything that uses the internal microphone, all sounds generated from the computer itself are extremely loud. For example, if I am talking with a friend on Skype and I open a Youtube video, the sound from the video will be unbelievably loud for my friend. Everyone says it hurts their ears how loud these internal sounds come through on the other side. Is there any way to reduce this? I know that obviously the microphone will pick them up anyway, but is there something I can do just to tone it down?

Thanks in advance. If I was unclear or you have any questions, please ask so that I can clarify.

2. medi.freak macrumors regular

I don't know if there is a way to reduce these noises, if there is I would like to know myself, but if you use FaceTime you'll notice, that it does not pick up sounds that come out of your speakers like youtube videos.

Onlz solution I can think of is an external microphone. not that expensive either...

3. John T macrumors 68020

John T

Obviously, the best solution is to use an external microphone. However, have you tried reducing the input level of your internal microphone and made sure the "Use ambient noise reduction" box is ticked in the System Prefs > Sound > Input section?