Microphone sharing

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Nermal, Dec 7, 2008.

1. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

A bit of an odd question, but hopefully there's a solution...

For the last few years I've been running WoW and Ventrilo on the same system, using the iMac/MBP internal mic to talk to people. A couple of days ago I bought a new system with no mic, and I'm running WoW on that. In order to use Ventrilo I'm plugging my headphones into my MBP and reaching over to press the talk key every time I want to speak.

What I'd like to do is somehow share the internal mic over to my other system, so that I can press the talk key on its keyboard in order to speak. I expect that it's possible to "pass through" the internal mic to the line out port, then connect a cable between that and the line in on my other system. Does that sound doable?

2. drichards macrumors 6502a

drichards

Why don't you just run vent or ts on the mac then?

3. Nermal thread starter Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I'm running Vent on my MBP and it's annoying to have to reach over to it to hold the push to talk key. My other system has no mic.

4. Nermal thread starter Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I bought a standard 3.5 mm plug-to-plug cable and connected one end to my MBP's headphone port and the other to my tower's Line In. I use the free app "LineIn" on the MBP to redirect the mic out the headphone port, then have Ventrilo configured to use Line In as the input device. It works perfectly :)