Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rjjacobson

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Sep 12, 2014
In past couple weeks the sound my microphone transmits on my generation 3 12.9 inch iPad Pro seems to become week for receivers in messenger or FaceTime calls. I can record fine for example in videos from photo app so the microphone is working but for some reason when I receive calls or make them in video/audio in messenger or FaceTime my voice is very faint for receiver wondering if 15.7 minor update broke something am I only one???

rjjacobson

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Sep 12, 2014
UPDATE:

Well you may recall I mentioned no CarPlay voice issues for me on my new 14 ProMax and linked it potentially failure of voice on my ipad microphone of facetime, other iphone, messenger calls/videos. I was wondering if 15.7 broke something on iPad since it was a precursor for iPads to be usable with other updates since 16 was not out for them. Well I am embarrassed to report I was wrong. I looked at tons of videos and sites on ipad microphone problems. But first off they always had me try to record to video which worked fine and my voice was fine with the photo app videos.

But one thing I ignored in the help sites was “clean your microphones“ because they ”worked” with my photo app videos. So I was looking at the microphone holes (little pinpricks) on my 12.9 gen 3 iPad Pro. Two on side with power button, and one on bottom of ipad as it is mounted on my magic keypad. They had this faint white/yellow color but thought that was normal. Well it was not and my toothpick cleaned it out and not the pinprick holes for microphone are dark like the larger ones for the speakers for example. Hmm there was something in these after all.

Did a FaceTime call on the ipad through my iphone to my wife in other room with door shut and she could hear me perfectly. So I am at a loss to explain why microphones worked in this condition with video on phots app. But not in FaceTime calls or messenger calls or phone calls answered on my ipad but those apps and their use on the microphone must be different, more sensitive than the photo app which seemed to tolerate the dust/lint in the little holes. A new experience for me but then my ipad is a gen 3 so a bit old

NastyMatt

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2020
I have zero actual technical knowledge on this but the only difference I can think of between calls and video recording is that calls will/can have noise cancellation (voice isolation) active, where as a video will record everything and anything.

Reactions: rjjacobson

rjjacobson

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Sep 12, 2014
I have zero actual technical knowledge on this but the only difference I can think of between calls and video recording is that calls will/can have noise cancellation (voice isolation) active, where as a video will record everything and anything.
Hmm that makes sense if voice was weaker due to the dirty ports that might have muffled the sound too much thanks for idea will keep that in mind.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.