Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

duervo

macrumors 68020
Feb 5, 2011
Many newer Dell Latitude ultrabooks and Lenovo Thinkpad ultrabooks have microSD. If those ultrabooks can have them, why not Apple's? I can almost understand Apple's argument for removing the standard SD if they think those cards are too big for their slim and sexy new MacBooks/MacBook Pros, but I still don't understand why they couldn't at least put in microSD.

Don't people have a problem with needing a dongle for EVERYTHING?

Of course people have a problem with it. Not everyone though. Some are perfectly fine with it, and even prefer it, while others couldn't care either way. However, Apple typically marches to the beat of their own drum, and they don’t take design cues from their customers. (ie: “courage”. But I prefer calling it “arrogance”.)

Last edited:

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
Many newer Dell Latitude ultrabooks and Lenovo Thinkpad ultrabooks have microSD. If those ultrabooks can have them, why not Apple's? I can almost understand Apple's argument for removing the standard SD if they think those cards are too big for their slim and sexy new MacBooks/MacBook Pros, but I still don't understand why they couldn't at least put in microSD.

The dongle argument has been pretty much settled. Bottom line is it seems to a much bigger issue for people that do not own the systems, than those that do.

And as far as memory cards go, I have cameras and phones that use different formats. So I will need an external reader that handle SD and CF. And many of those readers also come with USB 3 ports, so I would just get one reader for most of my externals connections.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Having USB C in MacBook or even MacBook Air is acceptable. I personally don't use SD at all. But, Pro version should have at least a SD reader for those people work with cameras every day. Maybe in 2020 we can have all USB C, but a 2016 laptop with USB C only is a bit sad. I wonder how much money Apple made from selling dongles.

Most professional photographers and serious amateur photographers -- i.e., those who "work with cameras every day" -- usually prefer to use an external memory card reader as opposed to sticking an SD card into their MBP. External card readers are usually faster and provide more flexibility; some provide slots for each type and size of memory card, including Compact Flash (CF), SD, MicroSD, etc., etc., as a few cameras still use CF cards, for instance. It's simple enough to either plug in the external card reader as needed or leave it plugged in all the time.

As for the dongle thing: it's really not a big deal, people! One can either purchase a cable with the appropriate connector on it or can use a tiny adapter. Many manufacturers of external hard drives and external SSDs now provide both types of cable (USB-A and USB-C) for customer convenience, which is especially handy if someone has both computers with the so-called "legacy ports" as well as the current USB-C or Thunderbolt ports.

Queen6

macrumors G4
Most professional photographers and serious amateur photographers -- i.e., those who "work with cameras every day" -- usually prefer to use an external memory card reader as opposed to sticking an SD card into their MBP. External card readers are usually faster and provide more flexibility; some provide slots for each type and size of memory card, including Compact Flash (CF), SD, MicroSD, etc., etc., as a few cameras still use CF cards, for instance. It's simple enough to either plug in the external card reader as needed or leave it plugged in all the time.

As for the dongle thing: it's really not a big deal, people! One can either purchase a cable with the appropriate connector on it or can use a tiny adapter. Many manufacturers of external hard drives and external SSDs now provide both types of cable (USB-A and USB-C) for customer convenience, which is especially handy if someone has both computers with the so-called "legacy ports" as well as the current USB-C or Thunderbolt ports.

I'll stick with ports that make sense in 2018, not waste time with adapters, dongles and whatever other nonsense just attain basic connectivity. Most professional's want scalability, usability not a bag full of dongles that may work or not work as designed...

Q-6

bernuli

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2011
The "jet drives" were way too slow for me. 30 MB/sec writes is what I used to get. That is tough to take when the SSD in a 2017 unit does 2,500 MB/sec

For me 30MB/s for extra storage is ok. Good for offloading extra stuff, and works just fine with Virtual Machines that might take up 50GB but do not need to access to the full 50 GB all right now. Also SD cards that I use move along at 80MB/s...even better.

The option for easy extra storage is a nice one.

I get more excited looking to buy a ne..other MacBook Pro on Ebay than I do on the Apple website....and it is not because of the cheaper options.

Reactions: Queen6

csurfr

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2016
Seattle, WA
I gave up on the SD cards and bought Samsung T3 and T5 drives with SSDs. 500 MBs/sec was a much better! And you can detach them and put them in a safe place to ensure you don't lose the data.

Question for all of you T3 / T5 owners: Has anyone found a short USB-C to USB-C Cable that runs at 3.0 speeds? I ordered one from Amazon (Cable Matters) that is about 6" long and didn't realize it was USB 2.0...until I actually transferred files with it. The T3 doesn't include a USB-C to USB-C cable in the box like the T5 does, and Samsung doesn't sell one separately. The only ones that I have been able to find on Amazon are 3' or so. The shortest one that Apple carries, a Belkin is $30.00, and is just under 3'. For that price I might as well pick up a T5.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
A couple of years ago when I bought the 12" MacBook with its sole USB-C port, I realized that I was going to need a way to get files from my 2015 15" MBP into it, and of course, as mentioned ,the T3 does not come with a USB-C to USB-C cable, only the USB-C to USB 3. I poked around and noticed that there was a G-Drive USB-C Mobile (portable) hard drive (spinner) available at Microcenter and also at the Apple store which actually included both types of cables. The price was fairly reasonable and so i bought one and that worked nicely for my purposes, providing the cable that I needed. I was later overjoyed when the T5 came on the market and thankfully included both types of cables, which at the prices charged for those external SSDs it should. Now I've got the best of both worlds. There is a new external SSD made by G-Drive that comes with a very short USB-C to USB-C cable, I think maybe just two inches or so, and it would is available on Amazon and also is sold in the online Apple store (not sure about the B&M retail stores). The prices for the 1 TB and 2 TB are similar to Samsung's. I don't think they offer a smaller capacity than 1 TB, but I'm not sure about that. That would be more expensive than buying the G-Drive mobile USB-C drive that is also available at the Apple store. In either case it would be most costly than simply being able to buy a short USB-C to USB-C cable on its own. On the other hand, one can always use another external drive....

ETA: Just looked on Amazon and the G-Drive external SSD does come in a 500 GB capacity as well as 1 TB and 2 TB. According to one reviewer's comment the two cables are about 10 cm, so pretty short! USB-C 3.1 should be backwards-compatible with USB-C 3.0.

https://www.amazon.com/G-Technology...ology+1TB+G-DRIVE+mobile+SSD+R-Series+Storage

Probably if I were in this situation, I would buy the Samsung T5 in whichever capacity I could afford, as I have been using the Samsung external SSDs for several years and find them to be very reliable.

Last edited:

csurfr

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2016
Seattle, WA
A couple of years ago when I bought the 12" MacBook with its sole USB-C port, I realized that I was going to need a way to get files from my 2015 15" MBP into it, and of course, as mentioned ,the T3 does not come with a USB-C to USB-C cable, only the USB-C to USB 3. I poked around and noticed that there was a G-Drive USB-C Mobile (portable) hard drive (spinner) available at Microcenter and also at the Apple store which actually included both types of cables. The price was fairly reasonable and so i bought one and that worked nicely for my purposes, providing the cable that I needed. I was later overjoyed when the T5 came on the market and thankfully included both types of cables, which at the prices charged for those external SSDs it should. Now I've got the best of both worlds. There is a new external SSD made by G-Drive that comes with a very short USB-C to USB-C cable, I think maybe just two inches or so, and it would is available on Amazon and also is sold in the online Apple store (not sure about the B&M retail stores). The prices for the 1 TB and 2 TB are similar to Samsung's. I don't think they offer a smaller capacity than 1 TB, but I'm not sure about that. That would be more expensive than buying the G-Drive mobile USB-C drive that is also available at the Apple store. In either case it would be most costly than simply being able to buy a short USB-C to USB-C cable on its own. On the other hand, one can always use another external drive....
Lol! My data is already spread across a 2tb Time Capsule, a 1tb WD drive attached to the Time Capsule (only for movies), and a 2tb WD MyCloud (I loathe this device).

I’d love to ditch the WD Cloud drive, but unfortunately some networks block whatever port Back to My Mac uses, so I can’t access the Time Capsule everywhere. And of course, you can’t easily replace the drive in a Time Capsule with a larger one.

I’d look at the Promise Apollo, but it uses that same web interface that WD does I believe, and WDs has been less than stellar, sometimes not seeing the drive.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Just added more info to my earlier post, as I took a look at Amazon's page as well as the Apple page. I have some data in iCloud Drive but for the most part I prefer to keep most stuff locally on both larger-capacity spinner external drives (archival storage) and on the Samsung T1, T3 and T5 external SSDs (supplemental drives for files and folders that I don't need all the time on my machine's internal SSD). It's easy to tuck a T5 into my bag when traveling or when going to a friend's home in case I need or want to access something which is not on the internal drive. I don't use Back to My Mac or Time Machine.

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
I'll stick with ports that make sense in 2018, not waste time with adapters, dongles and whatever other nonsense just attain basic connectivity. Most professional's want scalability, usability not a bag full of dongles that may work or not work as designed...

Q-6

The sheer number of ports connectors cards card readers etc etc etc in 2018 makes no sense whatsoever only the likes of apple pushing usb c as the one connector type will force the idiocy of so many different ports to disappear in a sensible time frame.

Reactions: HenryDJP

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
Lol! My data is already spread across a 2tb Time Capsule, a 1tb WD drive attached to the Time Capsule (only for movies), and a 2tb WD MyCloud (I loathe this device).

I’d love to ditch the WD Cloud drive, but unfortunately some networks block whatever port Back to My Mac uses, so I can’t access the Time Capsule everywhere. And of course, you can’t easily replace the drive in a Time Capsule with a larger one.

I’d look at the Promise Apollo, but it uses that same web interface that WD does I believe, and WDs has been less than stellar, sometimes not seeing the drive.

I had the issue of multiple storage devices a few years back. To fix this I bought a NAS and connected it to my home network. I have Cat 6 running throughout the house and several 2.4/5Ghz Access points. This gives all my devices high speed access to the NAS.

The NAS has 6 drive bays. I current have 4 - 4 TB drives installed with gives me 12 TB of usable storage. 2 TB of that storage is allocated as a Time Machine server. The remainder is a file storage. All of the file storage is accessible to Windows, Mac, and Linux systems.

The Main NAS is backed up occasional by an older smaller (4 TB) NAS. I only back selected key folders.
[doublepost=1522854135][/doublepost]
Question for all of you T3 / T5 owners: Has anyone found a short USB-C to USB-C Cable that runs at 3.0 speeds? I ordered one from Amazon (Cable Matters) that is about 6" long and didn't realize it was USB 2.0...until I actually transferred files with it. The T3 doesn't include a USB-C to USB-C cable in the box like the T5 does, and Samsung doesn't sell one separately. The only ones that I have been able to find on Amazon are 3' or so. The shortest one that Apple carries, a Belkin is $30.00, and is just under 3'. For that price I might as well pick up a T5.

If you have a choice you might as well get the T-5. The interface is USB 3.1 Gen 2 (10 GBps) instead of USB 3.1 Gen 1 (5 GBps) and the top transfer rate is 540 MB/sec vs 460 MB/sec. In the real world I don't really notice the transfer time difference, but why get a slower discontinued unit?

Queen6

macrumors G4
The sheer number of ports connectors cards card readers etc etc etc in 2018 makes no sense whatsoever only the likes of apple pushing usb c as the one connector type will force the idiocy of so many different ports to disappear in a sensible time frame.

Not concerned Apple can do as they please, will take time for USB C to be ubiquitous and reliable. Outside of forums such as this USB C is hardly employed, let alone TB-3. Apple has just succeeded in pissing of a good number of it's pro users by forcing dongles and adaptors which are inconvenient to carry/manage, nor guaranteed to work as expected.

As I've stated Apple's has no real commitment in USB C outside of it allowing Apple execute it's design language bringing thinner notebooks to market. "If" Apple was remotely serious about USB C:
  • Moved the iPhone to USB C, why not? Millions lost in revenue due to the licensing of Lightening
  • Apple would have offered it's own USB C/TB-3 dock at launch of the new MBP. Yet still today third parties remain to fill this void with whatever may or may not work.
  • iMac Pro would be devoid of "useless" legacy Port's. One can only assume Apple is concerned with the backlash of marketing a "Pro" Mac with just a singular port type, who'd of thought...
  • Apple should have included USB C to USB A adaptors to ease the transition, it didn't for one simple reason Apple is so overly focused on nickel & diming it's customers at every possible opportunity, which I personally find insulting.
  • Answer to the MPB and USB C only is very simple; the smaller port allows Apple to exercise it's design language, allows it's manufacturer's to streamline parts and production process, undoubtedly increasing Apple's margin with ever more modular appliances...
USB C & TB-3 are significant advances, equally how the technology is implemented is very much a different matter. I'll remain to stick with what works including USB C/TB-3, equally not exclusively with the current mix and match, lack of interoperability between various USB C devices. Since inception I've yet to see USB C/TB-3 being used commercially, right now I'm visiting numerous engineering centre's, some notebooks may have USB C, equally never seen it used in anger once.

Apple's loss not mine...

Q-6

Reactions: ignatius345

csurfr

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2016
Seattle, WA
If you have a choice you might as well get the T-5. The interface is USB 3.1 Gen 2 (10 GBps) instead of USB 3.1 Gen 1 (5 GBps) and the top transfer rate is 540 MB/sec vs 460 MB/sec. In the real world I don't really notice the transfer time difference, but why get a slower discontinued unit?

I already have a 250gb T3, which is why I was trying to find a super short (for the MacBook Pro) usb-c 3.1 cable. But for the selling price of 30.00, I was saying I might as well spend more and get a 500gb T5, which comes with that cable, and has more storage. I could then hand off the T3 to someone else.

Reactions: jerryk

theluggage

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2011

ObXKCD:
standards.png

https://xkcd.com/927/

It wouldn't be so bad if USB-C really was one connector, one cable for all - but the reality is it just replaces a set of clearly different ports with well-defined functions with a "plug & pray" mass of superficially identical ports and cables with widely varying "mystery meat" functionality. So there are USB-only ports on the 12" MB, TB3 ports on the MBPs, DisplayPort enabled ports, data-only ports, ports with usb 3.1g1, 3.1g2 (coming soon: USB 3.2 or not, plus two different methods of connecting HDMI - HDMI alt mode or DP alt mode with a converter cable), charge/USB2-only cables, USB 3.1-capable cables, Passive Thunderbolt cables that do USB3, Active Thunderbolt cables that only do USB2.0... all permuted with 3 different power capacity ratings...

A one-for-all video connector already exists: DisplayPort (which has long been able to do VGA, HDMI or DVI with a suitable dongle). Merging it with a data connector and charging only makes sense on a mobile phone-type device with space for only a single port (and even then, give it a year or two and Mobiles will probably be sealed units that only charge and communicate wirelessly - makes sense for something that might be dropped down the loo).

When I plonk my old 2011 MBP on my work desk, which has an Apple 27" Cinema display, I have to connect 3 cables - display, charge and USB. Three!! Oh, the humanity! How do I cope!? It must take 3 whole seconds!!!

Meanwhile, I'm running out of USB ports on my home iMac - fortunately, it still has 4 USB and Ethernet, and I'd love to use the two USB-C sockets as extra data ports, but than means I can't use them to connect external displays.... the hardware can happily support 2 extra high-speed data ports (from the Thunderbolt controller) and 2 external DisplayPort displays (from the GPU) but some genius has decided to create a bottleneck by combining 2 unrelated and independent functions onto one port - on a machine with acres of space on the back that could easily accommodate a pair of DisplayPorts.

Queen6

macrumors G4
ObXKCD:
standards.png

https://xkcd.com/927/

It wouldn't be so bad if USB-C really was one connector, one cable for all - but the reality is it just replaces a set of clearly different ports with well-defined functions with a "plug & pray" mass of superficially identical ports and cables with widely varying "mystery meat" functionality. So there are USB-only ports on the 12" MB, TB3 ports on the MBPs, DisplayPort enabled ports, data-only ports, ports with usb 3.1g1, 3.1g2 (coming soon: USB 3.2 or not, plus two different methods of connecting HDMI - HDMI alt mode or DP alt mode with a converter cable), charge/USB2-only cables, USB 3.1-capable cables, Passive Thunderbolt cables that do USB3, Active Thunderbolt cables that only do USB2.0... all permuted with 3 different power capacity ratings...

A one-for-all video connector already exists: DisplayPort (which has long been able to do VGA, HDMI or DVI with a suitable dongle). Merging it with a data connector and charging only makes sense on a mobile phone-type device with space for only a single port (and even then, give it a year or two and Mobiles will probably be sealed units that only charge and communicate wirelessly - makes sense for something that might be dropped down the loo).

When I plonk my old 2011 MBP on my work desk, which has an Apple 27" Cinema display, I have to connect 3 cables - display, charge and USB. Three!! Oh, the humanity! How do I cope!? It must take 3 whole seconds!!!

Meanwhile, I'm running out of USB ports on my home iMac - fortunately, it still has 4 USB and Ethernet, and I'd love to use the two USB-C sockets as extra data ports, but than means I can't use them to connect external displays.... the hardware can happily support 2 extra high-speed data ports (from the Thunderbolt controller) and 2 external DisplayPort displays (from the GPU) but some genius has decided to create a bottleneck by combining 2 unrelated and independent functions onto one port - on a machine with acres of space on the back that could easily accommodate a pair of DisplayPorts.

Add in when manufacturers add in their own ideas, big surprise things don't always work as planned with each blaming the other and the customer firmly stuck in the middle going nowhere. Premise is great, one port for all, equally the implementation far from clear, nor will it be for a good deal of time.

Apple's MBP is now just a port constrained notebook, severely lacking port diversity. I maintain Apple opted for USB C only to produce a thinner, shinier toy to not improve the computing experience, same applies to the keyboard.

Bottom line this "stuff" is supposed to help you execute your work easier not add in a bunch more question marks. Had Apple retained the previous chassis, replaced TB-2 with USB C/TB-3 I doubt many would have been unhappy, equally that's not what Apple want's to produce, too far from the iPad methinks...

Q-6

alecgold

macrumors 65816
Oct 11, 2007
NLD
...but the typical use case of a Jet Drive would be to offload something like your media collection that only saw infrequent updates, and free up SSD space for applications that needed it.
Just making a bit fun (with some serious undertone), but why would you offload media to a dead slow SD-card that only holds 128Gb? 30-40 films and you’re out of space again.
Who has media anyway, don’t you stream all your media consumption?

If you’re away from internet you could always download what you would need in advance. I do so with Netflix.
If you’re more permanent away from the internet, e.g. you’re staying weeks at your cabin in the woods and it has no connection, then a USB-C (SSD) drive would be much, much faster, much bigger and much more cost-effective.
For €99 you can buy a 128Gb jet drive but also a nice 250Gb SSD USB-c drive for $109.
[doublepost=1522872095][/doublepost]

Yeah, all nice, but there are hardly any serious devices that use microSD. Some phones do, but you won’t like using those phones with a MacBook Pro. Some ****** camera’s use them, that’s not really pro-use either.
What devices do you need on a daily basis that warrant the need of a microSD port?

If you are annoyed for having to spend so much money to double the internal SSD from 256 to 512 (or even worse to 1Tb) I can imagine. But microSD’s are a bad replacement for that. Not that cheap, most of them are terrible slow these days and they are fragile in my limited experience.
One rather expensive micro-SD card was replaced three times under warranty, after that I gave up using them.

The dongle discussion is rather funny. People want Ethernet, HDMI, DisplayPort and what not in their laptop. that makes the laptop a bit bigger and 10-15% thicker. If you need those there are perfectly nice adapters available. In all kinds and I think they are outrageously expensive, but they are expensive all over the place, not just Apple’s.
If you don’t need all those adapters you have a wonderful thin and reasonable light laptop.
So I would say it gives you more options instead of always hauling around the ports, you can choose to leave them home or to use an dongle that has the specific ports you need.

One last thing that I’ve noticed over the years. Abandoning floppies, CD’s, DVD, legacy ports etc. etc. always gave Apple a lot of commentary. But in the end every other manufacturer followed, except for some niche markets like industry. And how much do you miss floppies, CD’s or RS232 ports?
Following your arguments we should have laptops the size of law books, because we could never abandon ports.

Reactions: Samuelsan2001

theluggage

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2011
Just making a bit fun (with some serious undertone), but why would you offload media to a dead slow SD-card that only holds 128Gb? 30-40 films and you’re out of space again.

...because adding an SD card is a lot cheaper than buying a new Mac to get a larger HD, and - unlike an external HD - preserves the all-in-one portability of your laptop. Most people have some bulky files that they need access to but which don't really need super-fast storage - a media library being the most obvious example.

Sure, its not a solution to every storage problem, and if you need extra highYour logic seems to be "I don't need this feature - so nobody needs it and it should be removed with extreme prejudice."

If you’re more permanent away from the internet, e.g. you’re staying weeks at your cabin in the woods

You've never been on a 10-hour flight where the promised in-flight WiFi didn't materialise or cost silly money? Never been on the train where the cellular signal vanishes as soon as you leave a built-up area? Never been to a business meeting where nobody can work out how to get you on to the WiFi? Never worked somewhere where your WiFi connection drops every 20 minutes an the PC-centric support staff couldn't care less because Mac?

Anyway - I have a music collection built up over the years from CD rips and music purchased as MP3 downloads, so why would I want to stream that?

Yeah, all nice, but there are hardly any serious devices that use microSD

Well, yes, I'd agree that full SD would be more versatile than MicroSD - but if you're paranoid about your laptop getting a few mm thicker, MicroSD would be a compromise. As has already been noted several times, MicroSD cards often come with SD adapters that make them work in any SD device and are actually easier to store and handle when kept in the adapter.

As for "serious devices" - really? Not everybody who buys a Mac lives in an Apple-only walled garden. MicroSD cards are incredibly useful in the Android phones that support them. SD (which can easily be a microSD in a SD adapter) is pretty much standard in still cameras, pro video cameras, GoPros, dashcams, drones, audio recorders etc. My Amazon FireTV has a MicroSD slot. Plus, there are over 12 million Raspberry Pis out there - not to mention other micro controllers etc. that use MicroSD cards. You know, exactly the sort of gadgets that a "prosumer" user who blows $2000 on a "pro" laptop is likely to have a cupboard full of.

The dongle discussion is rather funny. People want Ethernet, HDMI, DisplayPort and what not in their laptop. that makes the laptop a bit bigger and 10-15% thicker.

Yes... like the 2015 retina MacBook pro which was just too big and brick-like said absolutely nobody ever at all (except, apparently Mr Cook who doesn't see why anybody would need anything bigger than an iPad and Mr Ive who is more interested in making art than making tools). If the ultra-tiny 12" MacBook with a single USB-C port fits your needs then that's great - but it doesn't fit everybody else's needs.

As for ethernet - guess what - yes I stlll need it (see above re. reliability of WiFi at work) but we've had since 2012 to get over that. However - quick history lesson: when Apple dropped the ethernet port, firewire and optical drive from the rMBP in 2012 they (a) added an extra TB port and HDMI to the rMBP while keeping the power and SD ports and upping the USB ports to USB3 - so you had two ways of hooking a TB-to-Ethernet or Firewire dongle that didn't use up your only fast data port or external display connection; and (b) at the same time they updated the 'classic' MBP models to the latest CPU/GPU and added USB3 and BlueTooth 4 etc. so that, if you were still dependent on Ethernet, Firewire or the optical drive - or weren't ready to fork out the premium for all-SSD - you weren't left high and dry without a replacement option (ISTR the 15" cMBP hung around for about a year, the 13" stayed around for years).

c.f. 2016: courageously, they kindly kept around the least-powerful model of the 2015 MBP - which was already overdue an update - at a higher price for a perfunctory few months. Of course, if they'd repeated the 2012 routine and updated the CPU in the old rMBP at the same time, it would have been very interesting to see how the new 2016 model sold...

Reactions: ignatius345

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Once again, got to post:
One of the best "Mac decisions" I've ever made was buying the 2015 MBPro (in December 2016) instead of the just-released 2016 model.

A proven design with a comfortable keyboard (no problems at all, that's expected), ports I can actually USE with my old stuff, MagSafe, and a robustness-of-design that the new ones lack.

Heck, I could even take the internal SSD blade drive out if I had to.
Try that with the new ones!

Reactions: Queen6

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
I agree with Fishrrman: in October 2015 after Apple released the 21.5" iMac with retina screen, I read the specs and was disappointed, but I still had the itch to replace my 2012 iMac with its dog-slow spinner drive. I had a 13" 2015 MBP and had realized that I was using it much more often than my iMac -- primarily because the speedy SSD was running circles around the iMac's HD. I experimented for a few days setting it on a stand and seeing how well a MacBook Pro might work out as a desktop substitute.

Once I saw that this was indeed very feasible, I then looked at the specs for the 2015 15" MBP.....and saw that I could walk right into the Apple store and come home with one that had just the specs and configuration I wanted. I of course was aware of the rumors that the MacBook Pro line was going to be dramatically redesigned and because of uncertainty about just what might be coming down the pike later, I decided to go ahead and get the 2015 15" and not worry about whatever functions and features the new machines might offer. I'm quite happy that I did this and have never regretted it. In the meantime I have also dipped my toes into the waters of USB-C ports with my 12" MacBook, so I've got the best of each world. In another year or two when things are more stabile with the current line of MBPs I will probably replace my 2015 15" MBP but for the moment this has been a very satisfactory machine, one of the best Macs I've owned, and I've owned quite a few through the years!

Papanate

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2011
North Carolina
Now that I've gotten a chance to play with MicroSD on a Windows laptop, I can't help but wonder: WTF was Apple thinking by not putting a MicroSD slot in the newer MacBook Pro? The cards are so tiny that I think it is unacceptable that they omitted it.

Is it just me?

I have a OWC dock and a HyperDrive adapter both of which
have a SDHC full size slot. The HyperDrive has a Mini SDHC
as well. I do not want Apple to go backwards -

51vRMQYieLL._SX425_.jpg
luFUOhFT5aD._UX959_TTW__.jpg

kokako

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2011
Now that I've gotten a chance to play with MicroSD on a Windows laptop, I can't help but wonder: WTF was Apple thinking by not putting a MicroSD slot in the newer MacBook Pro? The cards are so tiny that I think it is unacceptable that they omitted it.

Is it just me?

I think it’s a MacBook “Pro” and I’m glad they’ve omitted the standard SD slot as well, CFAST and Compact Flash are pro formats, SD isn’t so makes sense people just use card readers which cover consumer and pro card formats.

Reactions: HenryDJP

duervo

macrumors 68020
Feb 5, 2011
I have a OWC dock and a HyperDrive adapter both of which
have a SDHC full size slot. The HyperDrive has a Mini SDHC
as well. I do not want Apple to go backwards -

51vRMQYieLL._SX425_.jpg
luFUOhFT5aD._UX959_TTW__.jpg

While that first one looks ok on paper, they apparently do tend to overheat and either slow down considerably, or drop I/O requests once that happens, manifesting in intermittent connection with HDMI, jittery mouse, etc. (Not a good thing to have happen.) Although they have a v2.0 of it, called HyperDrive Pro, their 1st revision is known to be “problematic” (for lack of a better term.) I haven’t heard anything bad yet about the “Pro” version.

Anyway, there are much better alternatives that offer more reliable performance, like the one depicted in the last two pics (the OWC product.)

I’d never get that one in the first pic though.

Last edited:

Papanate

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2011
North Carolina
Does that adapter cover both USB-C ports on the side of the MBP?

Yes - but there are two USB-C ports on the adapter.
[doublepost=1522966278][/doublepost]
While that first one looks ok on paper, they apparently do tend to overheat and either slow down considerably, or drop I/O requests once that happens, manifesting in intermittent connection with HDMI, jittery mouse, etc. (Not a good thing to have happen.) Although they have a v2.0 of it, called HyperDrive Pro, their 1st revision is known to be “problematic” (for lack of a better term.) I haven’t heard anything bad yet about the “Pro” version.

Anyway, there are much better alternatives that offer more reliable performance, like the one depicted in the last two pics (the OWC product.)

I’d never get that one in the first pic though.

The OWC USB-C Dock was the problematic Dock. The Thunderbolt 3 Dock has not been an Issue AFAIK.

I have Version 2 - didn't know there were two versions. If you do production or staging and have to interface with switchers and DLP Projectors that adapter is a life saver. It also has an HDMI out on top.

duervo

macrumors 68020
Feb 5, 2011
Yes - but there are two USB-C ports on the adapter.
[doublepost=1522966278][/doublepost]

The OWC USB-C Dock was the problematic Dock. The Thunderbolt 3 Dock has not been an Issue AFAIK.

I have Version 2 - didn't know there were two versions. If you do production or staging and have to interface with switchers and DLP Projectors that adapter is a life saver. It also has an HDMI out on top.

Ah, ok. Yeah, the first version was released as a Kickstarter project. Seems that they used all of the negative feedback from that in the Kickstarter comments to perhaps fix the issues and release an updated “pro” model.

That’s interesting about the OWC product. I’ll have to dig into that a bit more when the time comes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.