MicroSDXC Bootcamp

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by vtrikoupis, Jan 26, 2014.

1. vtrikoupis macrumors newbie

A few months back, SanDisk released a microSDXC card that offered 80MB/s read speeds and 50MB/s write speeds.
    My rMBP has 256GB storage which is marginally enough to run OSX and all my programs

Do you think it's possible to install windows 7 on the sd card and boot and work in it efficiently?
    If so i'm planning on getting a nifty drive and a 64gb version of this card

2. saturnotaku macrumors 68000

Windows 7 can't be installed on an external drive. There has been limited success with Windows 8/8.1.

3. vtrikoupis thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey saturnotaku, thanks for your reply.
    That sucks big time.

4. Quackers macrumors 6502a

5. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

OSX can boot from almost anything. Windows not so much.

6. Quackers macrumors 6502a

Really? Macs have to be of a recent vintage to boot from a USB! :D

7. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

I got my first Mac in 2010, I remember booting OSX from an SDHC card just for fun. Multi boot partitioning on a Mac is another matter entirely and IMHO should generally be avoided.

8. Dark Dragoon macrumors 6502a

Dark Dragoon

That depends on what you are booting.

If it's OS X then you'll need a Mac thats newer than around 10 years old, I think USB booting for OS X came in on some of the PowerPC G4 and G5 Macs (maybe the G3's as well). I seem to remember OS 8 or 9 being able to be booted from USB in some situations.

As a general rule as long as the OS can boot using Open Firmware (for PPC Macs) or EFI (on Intel Macs) then it can boot using USB.

The difference is when you try to boot an OS which relies on BIOS for booting, as then it depends which Mac you have. Macs that came with optical drives generally cannot, whilst those which do not come with an optical drive can. There are some exceptions though.