Microsim if upgrading from 3gs to 4g?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by gillybean, Jun 20, 2010.

1. gillybean macrumors 6502a

I currently have an iPhone 3gs (which isn't upgrade eligible), and I'm on a family plan with my wife (who doesn't have an iPhone).

I'm thinking of having my wife buy an iPhone 4 (because she'd qualify since she's not under contract at the moment), and then switching phones with her (so I get the iPhone 4 while she uses the iPhone 3gs). But since 3gs uses a normal sim and the iPhone 4 uses a microsim, I'd have to find some way to turn my sim into a microsim and turn her microsim into a normal sim.

1. Will AT&T do this kind of sim swapping for me if I visit one of their stores? Or is it more complicated than that?

2. Also, if there are 2 iPhones on a family plan, will the cost be the same as what I'm paying now, except an extra $15/month for the minimal data plan on the second iPhone?

Thanks for any help. :)

2. irich25 macrumors regular

you can try cutting your sim card into a microsim

3. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Either cut your SIM down or ask AT&T to swap them. How about since your wife is eligible you let her have the fancy pants new phone? you can probably survive another year with "old" technology.

4. TurdFerguson macrumors 6502

An AT&T rep will help you with this whole process. No need to cut sims or anything like that, just go to an AT&T store.

5. bumzo1 macrumors 6502a

just take it to an AT&T store and they'll switch it for you. I inquired about a similar plan and the manager at my att store said it wasn't a problem.