microsim?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by goobot, Jan 29, 2010.

1. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

do you think the next iphone will have microsim?

2. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

That would kind of defeat the purpose of putting the micro SIM in the iPad, wouldn't it?

3. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

I won't rule it out. It's basically the same thing with a piece of plastic cut off.

4. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

If Apple implements most or all the lack of features in it's next gen iPhone that critics picked on so much, then it's a wrap. iPhone will be the undisputed king and AT&T would love the microsim idea to prevent any lost of customers from unlocking and using on other carriers.

But then again, after looking at this ......... http://www.theiphoneblog.com/2010/01/28/ipad-microsim-3g-4th-gen-iphone/
    It seems it might be easy to just cut a sim card down to micro size. But that pic might also be dead wrong.

5. rowanmwilliams macrumors member

rowanmwilliams

How so?

6. tnisatard macrumors 6502

what do you mean, i would think apple/at&t would love this idea for the iphone

since tmobile doesnt of a microsim, it would be pointless to unlock an iphone unless tmobile comes out with their own microsim

(assuming iphone doesnt hit tmobile)

7. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

I'm pretty confident that the reason the iPad uses a micro SIM is to prevent users with iPhones from using the same SIM in both devices, thereby avoiding one of the $30/mo data plans.

8. goobot thread starter macrumors 603

goobot

or it could be to keep it on att instead of t-moblie

or just that jobs likes new tech

9. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

Do we know if there's a way to remove the SIM from the iPad? Could be embedded.

10. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

Since it's unlocked, there seems to be little likelihood of an embedded SIM.

11. mathcolo macrumors 6502a

There's a microSIM card slot on the top, I think I read.

12. Aravintht macrumors 6502a

The microsim slot is at the top. appears to be very same to the iPhone, stick a paperclip in and the tray will pop out.

i think they're using micro sims just because it is something new and as it saves space - though given the size of the device, they don't really need to save space.

it is very easy to convert your existing sim to a micro sim but just cutting the plastic around it. pop to your local phone reseller and they'll probably have a cutting tool.

13. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

Precisesly. There is not reason for a microsim in a device that size. There has to be another reason.

But it is not possible to swap such a cut-down SIM back to your iPhone. I'm telling you, the only reason they use the micro SIM is to make it incompatible with the iPhone.

14. goobot thread starter macrumors 603

goobot

yes then get a 5$ adapter for your iphone :)