Microsoft 1997 investment ?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by ok13, Nov 23, 2007.

1. ok13 macrumors newbie

ok13

remember when Microsoft invested 150 million in apple in 1997 ?
    according to yahoo finance, shares were @4-5 then, now the shares are @170,
    a simple calclation: 170/5 = 34, which is the rate of change over those 10 years, if we multiply the rate of change by the amount: 34*150m = 5100m = 5.1 billion, does that mean that 10% of microsoft's 50 billions are from apple ?

im not so savvy at stocks and all those things, is the calculation above right ?

a link to the yahoo page

a site that claims a potential 18 BILLION GAIN

youtube video of the deal
    "microsoft agreed not to sell for five years"

apparently microsoft wasnt the only one who benefited from apple in 1997, this guy invested 115m in apple in 1997 and his the 13th richest man in the world

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

im pretty sure ms is no longer invested in apple

3. GilGrissom macrumors 65816

GilGrissom

A colleague at work seemed determined to convince me that Bill Gates has a fair few shares in Apple since 1997. (no doubt he has a few on a personal level) but he seemed determined that he owned quite a lot. I haven't found anything to disprove him or indeed prove him! What do people know?

4. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

What really annoys me is people who think that the investment was a purcahse, hence thier question, "Doesn't Microsoft own Apple?"

I don't think Microsoft is invested anymore, it was like a 5 year deal or something.

5. TheBonk macrumors 6502

TheBonk

The 5 year software deal went on, but Microsoft pulled back their $150 million investment a few months later.

6. eric55lv Guest

eric55lv

i guess its because Microsoft was bullying the market in the 90s and at the end of the 90s they were sued by the DOJ because they abused monoply power and un fair advertising in the browser wars and they need the money to pay for the case and they were sued also by the EU in an anti trust case

7. CRAZYBUBBA macrumors 65816

CRAZYBUBBA

I had read that it was a personal investment on part of Bill Gates.