Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brasscat

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2007
Dallas, Texas
Microsoft realizes it might lose it's market share in the cellular space, so they're trying new things to help stave off additional losses. Competing with other phone manufacturers will probably do nothing but make their competitors looks twice at other OSes for their phones.

My guess is Android, after a year or two in the wild, will be a great option for manufacturers not wanting Windows Mobile on their devices.

I vote the innovations of Google and the open source community will be a dominant force of the future of cellular software, definitely not MS and their locked-in Windows Mobile platform.

Of course, Apple will be onto itself with its style of innovation as well as the iPhone continues to mature and the SDK is released to all those eager developers out there.

bloodycape

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2005
California
I have see at least 5 people with Sidekicks and iphone combo because a. at&t plan does not offer enough texting b. tmobile is cheaper for texting and c. the sidekick and a nice keyboard in their eyes.

gifford

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2007
Miserable England
and people wonder why I hate Microsoft
being in the business of idea generation, i have grown to loath leaches or anyone without a spark of imagination who pinches the work of others.
It's cheating, simple as.

msft scum

deathshrub

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2007
Christmas Island
I had the sidekick 2 and 3 before I got the iPhone. I was never able to get into the treo/blackberry thing so it was the sidekick that did it for me. However, it's now nothing compared to the iPhone (not to mention being a ghetto device to due to its popularilty with the low class) and its built quality has gone downhill (as anybody who's had the original Sidekick 2 and Sharp Sidekick 3 would know).

If it's so "ghetto" and "low class" then why did you have one?

Oh, and ghetto = codeword for black.

Go back to 4chan, troll. Your kind isn't wanted here.

bloodycape

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2005
California
and people wonder why I hate Microsoft
being in the business of idea generation, i have grown to loath leaches or anyone without a spark of imagination who pinches the work of others.
It's cheating, simple as.

msft scum

Couldn't we say this pretty much about any company leaching or taking someone else's idea?

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
No wonder they think apple users are elitists! I've seen some elitist stuff on the forums but you take the cake!

deathshrub said:
If it's so "ghetto" and "low class" then why did you have one?

I had one because I liked it and found it useful. Got rid of it only because someone gave me a free iPhone. So much for being an elitist.

It's an unfortunate reality that every week a student gets robbed of their sidekick at gunpoint at my wife's school.

Oh, and ghetto = cool in that neck of the wood.

Sayer

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2002
Austin, TX
If you can't beat 'em, buy em out and strip away any IP that may have value and throw out the rest that was a threat to your own business model. Way to go Microsoft.

Acquisition of better, smaller, tech companies that don't suck and don't alienate their customers FTW!

shadowfax

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2002
Houston, TX
So basically soon there will only be a handful of mobile operating systems and the innovation will be lost.

Here's hoping that Google and Apple will drive innovation in the cell phone market. It sure looks like they are. So far, it seems like we're seeing shakedown and consolidation. I think a lot of the "random" cell phone crap is going to die or get eaten up by larger developments like this. Then MS, etc. will realize you can't buy your way into a competition with Google and Apple, and they will have to actually try and work. Even though Windows mobile is powerful in the cell phone market, I bet it turns into an uphill battle in a year or two for them. Apple and Google have nowhere to go but up. Especially if Google puts in the money and builds a network on the 700 MHz band to escape the networks' crap.

Couldn't we say this pretty much about any company leaching or taking someone else's idea?

yeah, like Apple stealing widgets from konfabulator... Anyone remember that?

Syrus28

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2008
Peoria, AZ
Where is all this Microsoft hate coming from? Here's a reality check: EVERY company "borrows" from each other... Like for example... iPod's miraculously easy yet intuitive interface? Not made by Apple. :eek:

Especially if Google puts in the money and builds a network on the 700 MHz band to escape the networks' crap.
I hope you don't think Google is doing this for "us". All it wants to do is expand its advertising revenue into the mobile business. That's why it persuaded The FCC to keep the spectrum open if the minimum bid was attained. In turn, Google probably bid the minimum for this reason, not really expecting to win.

Why would they want the open status? Again, not for "us". They do this so they can sidestep the telephone and cable companies efforts to make it difficult to access Google services, or even charge Google to deliver the services over their internet connection.

I can't believe Google would ever build a national network. They would have to establish retail stores, customer service, and cough up billions of dollars needed to run a network. None of this is really related to their core businesses, and would probably cause a distraction from their core business.

yeah, like Apple stealing widgets from konfabulator... Anyone remember that?
Lol. Yep. Ever heard of "gadgets" ?

shadowfax

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2002
Houston, TX
hope you don't think Google is doing this for "us". All it wants to do is expand its advertising revenue into the mobile business. That's why it persuaded The FCC to keep the spectrum open if the minimum bid was attained. In turn, Google probably bid the minimum for this reason, not really expecting to win.

Why would they want the open status? Again, not for "us". They do this so they can sidestep the telephone and cable companies efforts to make it difficult to access Google services, or even charge Google to deliver the services over their internet connection.

I can't believe Google would ever build a national network. They would have to establish retail stores, customer service, and cough up billions of dollars needed to run a network. None of this is really related to their core businesses, and would probably cause a distraction from their core business.

I don't really see them doing it themselves, but they might spin off a company to do it.

Google isn't doing anything for anyone but themselves, but that doesn't mean they aren't innovative. A lot of big companies tend to rest on their laurels in their fields. US cell networks and ISPs are a good example of this--slow to modernize. Ostensibly competitive, but not really--competitive within a "cooperative" framework--or something. I don't know, but where is the innovation? Not there. All companies are greedy, but some benefit consumers a lot more than others, and Google and Apple are examples of companies that provide huge benefits for their consumers as a side effect of their own greed.

sachxn

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2007
it does not matter

It oes not matter what Microsoft does or what it acquires, the truth is that it cannot create anything innovative like Apple. Microsoft can just BUY and cannot CREATE any new product. Hey where are all those Greate engineers (who made (never made) Vista) gone.

Sachin

SiliconAddict

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2003
Chicago, IL
Mmmm Win Mobo on a Sidekick makes me want to do unspeakable things to myself...... ;) :D

Seriously I love my Mogul with WM 6. I've been using WMWifiRouter to share my EVDO connection with friends when I'm out and about. Its still an early release but its crap like this that makes WM more powerful and more functional then the iPhone.

I welcome this. I would love to see the love child between Win Mobo + Origami's UI for a Sidekick.

It oes not matter what Microsoft does or what it acquires, the truth is that it cannot create anything innovative like Apple. Microsoft can just BUY and cannot CREATE any new product. Hey where are all those Greate engineers (who made (never made) Vista) gone.

And how many apps does Apple own that are from company acquisitions? How much open source software does Apple have in its OS and apps? Fanbois. Gotta love em....oh wait. No I don't.

Syrus28

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2008
Peoria, AZ

Sachin
Its late, so I'l respond.

Ever heard of a Xbox? A Zune? No, probably not because you are too far up Apple's ass to see anything anyone else does. Its like they pay you or something...

Lets count these so called innovative products of Apple:
1.) iPod (Interface not made by Apple)
2.) iPhone (can't send pic messages, no 3G)
3.) Mac OS X (locked down more than Windows)

Now Microsoft:
1.) Zune (song sharing, wireless sync, fm radio)
2.) Xbox 360 (XBL - more on-demand content than any cable provider, Halo, etc.)
3.) Windows Mobile (can send pic messages!!!)
4.) Office '08 (Ribbon Interface)
5.) Windows (Runs on home built computers, runs on laptops less than $1,000!!)

Oh, and FYI: Microsoft created the Xbox. They created the Zune. They created Windows Mobile. They created Vista.

YES, you've heard of Vista. It is considered a flop by lots of people on these forums, yet in 8 months has outsold the entire Mac OS X platform since 2001. So... what conclusions could they draw about Leopard [or Tiger, or Panther, or Jaguar, or Cheetah/Puma]

So don't go around preaching things you truly know nothing about.
To everyone else: Don't read too far into this. You have to speak these people's languages for them to understand. :D I don't really mean all of this, but moreso to prove a point. And also because its late.

lucky3killer

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2007
I'm SK user since 2004, SK2 and SK3, also I'm glad that my contract was expired after 1 year

I was very disappointed at Danger Inc now, even after MS bought it and would be switch to iPhone in next month or couple.

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
Lets count these so called innovative products

First you've missed out iLife, which is also innovative. You are also whining about minor feature omissions on the Apple stuff, without seeing the bigger picture. The iPhone now has 50x more Google searches than any competitor and a higher web share than Windows Mobile. Even though Windows mobile has been out far longer. (source 1, source 2)

The problem is that most of Microsoft's innovation occurred a long time ago. The Zune is at best a copy of the iPod, with a couple of minor, not particularly great features stuck on, why "squirt" a song, when you can just hand your friend your MP3 player to listen to it.

Windows is also innovative, but most of its innovation was in Windows 95, 98 bought minor improvements and XP brought stability, but other than that its innovation was 10-15 years ago.

Office has seen innovation in the past 10 years, but most of that has been more business centric features rather than consumer ones, Office 2007 is barely better than Office 1997 for consumers.

SharkySharky

macrumors member
Apr 29, 2007
Utah
I am so sick of the whole "Who ripped off who" and "who is more innovative" argument. Get over yourselves. It's not about who ripped off who, it's about who does things better. Let me make MY list of innovative/ripped off things

Apple
1- iPod (ripped off playing music portably from the Walkman)
2- iPhone (Touch interface is innovative, but ripped off the ability to place phone calls from Alexander Graham Bell)
3- Mac OS X.... nothing wrong here, and I can't say enough about my love for this OS. I can't even JOKE about things wrong with it... besides Stacks, but those are fixed

Microsoft
1- Zune (Ripped off MP3 player from iPod, ripped off FM transmitter from my car stereo, ripped off Sharing music from Napster)
2- Xbox (Ripped off Console Video Games from MANY companies like Nintendo, Atari, Sega, and Sony)
3- Vista (Do I really need to say it?, ripped off BSOD from Windows XP)

In case you didn't notice this was a joke the entire time, because I am so sick of this immature pointing of fingers. Get over it and use the computer you use for the reasons you enjoy using it. I am obviously a Mac fan, and have been since the day I was born because of my father. I honestly didn't know there was another OS until I went to a friends house to play a computer game and was confused when I saw Windows.

I am a Computer Science major and I have USED and PROGRAMMED on Windows machines so I am not ignorant either. Thank you all for wasting your life by arguing about Mac vs PC and who ripped off who.

Apple > PC

My opinion. Thank you.

tonyshucraft

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2008
That's the first time this has happened. :rolleyes:

AKA how windows got started....wasn't it?

I dunno, saw something about how Bill Gates warned them to get a patent, they didn't quick enough and well...windows.

edit: it was on an A&E biography show about it that we watched in school.

tonyshucraft

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2008
Its late, so I'l respond.

Ever heard of a Xbox? A Zune? No, probably not because you are too far up Apple's ass to see anything anyone else does. Its like they pay you or something...

Lets count these so called innovative products of Apple:
1.) iPod (Interface not made by Apple) - everybody should be chanting the three letters "DOS"
2.) iPhone (can't send pic messages, no 3G) - better messagingShould be soon, and it is more open than windows mobile. You don't see much copycats to any phone made by windows, I think I'd be honored if I were apple. Plus does Microsoft make any of those phones themselves?
3.) Mac OS X (locked down more than Windows) - I've seen more blue screens of death, error messages, freeze ups, ect. with windows in won month than I did in the six months I had my Mac(before I was in an accident.)

also Mac beats windows in:

Built in software: There are programs that are built in to OSX that would of costed me 1400 dollars to get for windows. Unless I use the built in, bogged down versions of them. Which mostly screw up things(I am visually impaired, check out the programs: Jaws, and Zoomtext, and compare to accessibility in OSX) Plus MIcrosoft only supports themselves with their OS. I don't see much for running unix/linux programs and another major OS on windows.

Now Microsoft:
1.) Zune (song sharing, wireless sync, fm radio) - And yet they are fairly useless. Wireless sync would be ok if it didn't take up the battery, sharing could be interesting but I don't feel like soul searching for another user. FM Raido is like wifi, it depends on where you are. Although with wifi, you can access internet radio. Also glad you didn't complain about the itunes store using a DRM that only works with the ipod. Don't b from a store with a good selection folks.(although I do givve them thumbs up on the points system)
2.) Xbox 360 (XBL - more on-demand content than any cable provider, Halo, etc.) - No problems with XBox. The HDD was one thing that really helped the original.
3.) Windows Mobile (can send pic messages!!!) So can my non windows mobile phone. If that's your big issue, then that is something sad.
4.) Office '08 (Ribbon Interface)- I have found that version of office to be less navigatable.
5.) Windows (Runs on home built computers, runs on laptops less than $1,000!!) -

Oh, and FYI: Microsoft created the Xbox. They created the Zune. They created Windows Mobile. They created Vista.

YES, you've heard of Vista. It is considered a flop by lots of people on these forums, yet in 8 months has outsold the entire Mac OS X platform since 2001. So... what conclusions could they draw about Leopard [or Tiger, or Panther, or Jaguar, or Cheetah/Puma] - I don't think Apple is worried just about OS sales but computer sales. Because they make computers. The main problem about Vista selling more than any version of OSX is that one company makes Macs, a lot make windows computers. So Microsoft has more support from other companies for their OS where as Apple supports themselves.

So don't go around preaching things you truly know nothing about.
To everyone else: Don't read too far into this. You have to speak these people's languages for them to understand. :D I don't really mean all of this, but moreso to prove a point. And also because its late.

Also look at the crosses into each others platforms, I'd say things that work for mac that have went into windows(ipod) have done better than things that Microsoft has done to reach Mac users.

spazattack674

macrumors regular
May 17, 2006
Boston
Well, I was planning on dropping my T-Mobile contract and Sidekick II at the end of my contract in June, but this news seals the deal.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.