Microsoft Acquires Email App Developer Acompli for Over $200 Million

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

In a blog post early this morning, Microsoft officially announced the acquisition of Acompli, developers of email client app for iOS and Android. The acquisition price was over $200 million, according to Re/code.

Acompli Email is well regarded for its vast array of features including Microsoft Exchange support, easy navigation to access recent emails and contacts, and ease of use with attachments and files.

The acquisition is a step forward for Microsoft's push on mobile productivity, including bringing Office to iOS earlier in the year. The company has kept a steady stream of updates flowing to the iOS versions of Office as well, including adding printing capabilities, third-party fonts, and, most recently, optimized iPhone versions of Word, Excel, and Powerpoint for smaller screens. Acompli is now the newest addition to Microsoft's vast array of productivity-based offerings.
We're excited about what's possible as we build on the app's success and bring it together with work currently in progress by the Outlook team. Our goal is to deliver fantastic cross-platform apps that support the variety of email services people use today and help them accomplish more.

This acquisition brings us an app with innovative technology and a set of talented people who are passionate about reinventing email and communications on mobile screens. It will expedite our work to deliver the full power of Office to mobile devices. Stay tuned for more details in the coming months.
The absence of a proper Outlook app for iOS has forced many users to flock to third-party apps whose lack of certain features, particularly Exchange support, prove insufficient. Though there's no official word yet on what the company plans to do with Acompli beyond bolstering the Outlook effort, it's easy to see where it could fit in their mobile productivity suite of apps.

Acompli Email remains available on the App Store for free for the time being [Direct Link]

Article Link: Microsoft Acquires Email App Developer Acompli for Over $200 Million

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
Smart decision. I can see this becoming the basis for Outlook or even Outlook itself.

MBHockey

macrumors 68040
Oct 4, 2003
New York
I hope Microsoft doesn't ruin this. I have a feeling I'll be looking for a new email client soon :-(

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
I hope Microsoft doesn't ruin this. I have a feeling I'll be looking for a new email client soon :-(
Aaaaannd...time to delete that app
Is this just irrational MS hate? Microsoft has been on a roll lately with their offerings. Since Balmer left, they seem to be embracing a cross-platform mentality. Anything that works better with all my kit can only be seen as a positive for me and others who are ecosystem agnostic.

H2SO4

macrumors 601
Nov 4, 2008
Is this just irrational MS hate? Microsoft has been on a roll lately with their offerings. Since Balmer left, they seem to be embracing a cross-platform mentality. Anything that works better with all my kit can only be seen as a positive for me and others who are ecosystem agnostic.
People fear what they don’t understand.
I was the same until I was forced to use M$ at work, it made me realise that although I still think Windows is horrid, at the same time it’s actually very good.
XP, (a couple of service packs later), was a solid release.
Seven is better still and I’ve just bought 8.1 for £84 which will go on a different drive for gaming, (as Macs are still crap for games).
I’m told it’s their best yet - this is from those that have used it, (without touch), not from those ********s that sit on forums or tech blogs.

sulliweb

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2011
Mostly... I can't say that I'm ecosystem agnostic, as I do have preferences on what I like.

Still, anymore, anyone who says that you have to use MS or Apple or Google because everything else is crap or that this company or that company will ruin an app... Yeah, that's someone that in my mind isn't paying attention (or actually believes the media hype, which might actually be worse). :)

Suspended
Mar 15, 2008
Acompli is my fave email app so I'm happy for the dev. Just hope that this is also a talent acquisition and that development stays in their hands!

MBHockey

macrumors 68040
Oct 4, 2003
New York
No it is not. Their mobile software is clumsy. ever use a windows phone? Ever use Office for iOS? what have they designed well, software or hardware, in the last 3 years?

sblemmy

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2013
This sounds promising. iOS Mail doesn't work that well with Exchange particularly because you can't search on the Exchange server. I can't count the number of times I needed to pull up an old e-mail (more than 2 weeks old) and had to go through the browser exchange client.

MacBH928

macrumors 601
May 17, 2008
$200 million!!

I understand that making an email app is not an impossible job. With conglomerates paying prices like these there is no reason any more to be a doctor or a lawyer. Spend 10 years developing different apps, sell whatever you can . You will make enough money that will make your grandchildren live a good life.

reese2147

macrumors regular
Dec 2, 2013
No it is not. Their mobile software is clumsy. ever use a windows phone? Ever use Office for iOS? what have they designed well, software or hardware, in the last 3 years?
You have **got** to be joking. Microsoft is back on the rise and is one of the few consumer tech companies who "get it". OneDrive is arguably not only the best deal in cloud storage, but also the best designed, intuitive and cross platform focused solution out there.

Also Office on iOS or OS X totally blows Apple's office suite out of the water.

----------

100% agree. Microsoft's push into a cross platform mentality is going to pay off huge dividends for them in the future. Apple builds much better hardware, but their software (cloud, office suits, hell even calendaring, etc) is pathetic.

Peepo

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2009
This app is amazing and very fast. Runs in the background and the badge indicating read or unread emails update in real time. To test I used my iphone marking messages as read or unread and I instantly see the badge icon change on my iPad. I've never seen an IOS app multitask like this before. An example of properly written app vs. a lot of other junk out there. This was an exchange account so not sure if it does same thing on other types.

I would also prefer more control over days to sync and not having conversations view but I can live without for now.

burne

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2007
Haarlem, the Netherlands
Is this just irrational MS hate?
Well.. I installed it, just to try it out. Then they started sending me email. I just downloaded the app, never allowed them to grab my email-address or giving them permission to start sending me commercial email. So, I uninstalled it and they are one email away from a formal complaint to the privacy-authorities over here.

I don't think they need Microsoft to scare customers away.

cookiesnfooty

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2009
Harrogate
Well.. I installed it, just to try it out. Then they started sending me email. I just downloaded the app, never allowed them to grab my email-address or giving them permission to start sending me commercial email. So, I uninstalled it and they are one email away from a formal complaint to the privacy-authorities over here.

I don't think they need Microsoft to scare customers away.
I think you misunderstand how it actually works, they pull mail through their servers so therefore they can push email to you easily.

babyj

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2006
This sounds promising. iOS Mail doesn't work that well with Exchange particularly because you can't search on the Exchange server.
Yes you can - if it isn't working for you then there is something up with your iPhone settings or the Exchange server you're connecting to (such as the search content indexes being broken).

Peepo

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2009
Having read a bit more about how it works, I didn't realize it uses their servers. They have a blogpost somewhere about how it is optimized for mobile devices. I bet this is a big part of what Microsoft was after rather than the look and feel of the app itself and they will integrate this back-end technology into their Office 365 Email. I doubt the technology will ever be directly integrated into Exchange Server directly since they want to push their cloud more but one never knows (I can imagine them selling an ActiveSync Office 365 Accellerator for companies LOL). I know it works great though - I have used a bit today in real world and it is nice to actually be able to use our Exchange server on my iPhone now (I don't use Apple's mail app because I don't want to let my iPhone be able to be wiped etc. by sysadmin).

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
This sounds promising. iOS Mail doesn't work that well with Exchange particularly because you can't search on the Exchange server. I can't count the number of times I needed to pull up an old e-mail (more than 2 weeks old) and had to go through the browser exchange client.
:confused: I don't have this problem. Just checked, Mail shows all emails Outlook for Windows shows right now. In fact, it's always annoyed me that Outlook searches 2 weeks, then makes you RE-search to go back farther. My phone just showed everything that isn't archived. Checked one folder, went back to 2011.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.