Microsoft acquires Skype, iPad specific app?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by FutureStan, May 10, 2011.

1. FutureStan macrumors member

2. iJays macrumors regular

3. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

4. Torin macrumors newbie

My first response was "Well I guess we'll never see an iPad specific Skype app now.."

5. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

+1 ....or we will start seeing BSOD on our iPad! ;)

6. chiefpavvy macrumors 6502a

Seen the new Bing app for iPad lately?

7. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

Also,
    • Microsoft OneNote
    • Windows Live Messenger
    • Photosynth

Granted these are not made specifically for the iPad, but at least Microsoft, Google and RIM (rumored BBM app coming soon) make a small effort to support iOS devices unlike Apple who contributes nothing to other platforms.

8. rworne macrumors 6502a

That's only so MS can boot their share of the search market. No need for them to abandon a market to a competitor.

Aside from Skype, what other major players are out there? Vonage is close, but not quite the same thing. We may see a rebranded Skype client come out, or it may be pulled from the app store and blocked. Or we may not.

I had to put up with MS shenanigans back in the late 80's and early 90's, so my opinion of them is a little tarnished.

9. brayhite macrumors 6502a

What are they supposed to contribute? Most of the software they produce is integrated with their own products, i.e. Remote, Apple Store, App Store, etc. I mean, sure, they could make an Android-based Keynote app or iMovie, but considering the near fact that most Keynote/iMovie users are also iPhone owners and Mac users, why develop an app that needs to be fragmented to fit on several device userbases? Other companies support iOS because it's a smart business decision. Not because it's Apple. So making this appear to be an Apple vs. the world scenario is pointless.

This is why Apple makes iTunes for Windows. They realize it's a smart business move. So they do it. And until sales drop or become stagnant on iOS devices because of a lack of Flash, they also probably won't support that either.

EDIT: When I say software, I'm referring to mobile apps.

10. thetaylor13 macrumors regular

thetaylor13

RIM is failing and needs to make some type of money, hence making Apps for iOS where there are hella customers. It would be a waste of time porting iOS apps to RIM....

11. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

Wow, how about read the OP post then each post rather than each post in it's own context... so let me fix my post for those who require more literal and explicit responses...

12. FutureStan thread starter macrumors member

I realize that this does not mean that there will be an iPad specific Skype app that is why I said "We might". I've been noticing a lot of poor management decisions made by Skype lately, Have you seen the Mac's latest Skype version? The company actually started a competition for public designers to submit their design:
    http://www.tuaw.com/2011/03/24/skype-for-mac-design-competition-announced/
    I see why would many think that that is actually a good thing, but them doing that means they don't know where to begin, they don't want to innovate, they'd like their users to do that for them, and thats absolutely absurd and indicates that they are starting to be irrelevant.

Now add that with the few (but existent) issues in the Windows version, the buggy iOS version, A full year for arguably one of the best launches of electronic devices in history the iPad and we have yet to see a specific app for it, The horrible Android app, which still to this day does not support video calling, And totally ignoring their customers' questions and emails.

So, Yes, I thought this was a good time to make some changes to the management department of Skype, and while Microsoft makes a lot of mistakes, they will not be making a $8.5 billion mistake.

13. NateJamesMeyers macrumors member

microsofts catching on to what googles doing. putting their software into EVERYTHING so that they have a wider span of control. If you look at what googles doing its genius, half the iphone is powered by google. if google decided they wanted to delay the iphone 5 all they would have to do is tell apple they cant use their maps application or a million other things and apple would be forced to write their own maps application and recode everything so that google software isnt found on the entire device.

14. 42streetsdown macrumors 6502a

42streetsdown

That's be cause Apple is primarily a hardware company that also makes software to go with their hardware.
    RIM is also a hardware company so i dunno there, but both Google and Microsoft are software companies.
    And as software companies they have a lot to gain by selling their software on a wide variety of platforms.

15. 42streetsdown macrumors 6502a

42streetsdown

They make iTunes for windows so they can sell more iPods

16. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Microsoft did it to give windows phone Skype.

Exactly.

WRONG. Apple wrote everything that comes with the iPhone.

Apple Maps App uses Google data, but it's not written by Google. Same with YouTube.

Search boxes can be switched to other search engines easily.