Microsoft and the Mac App Store?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Kristenn, Nov 2, 2010.

1. Kristenn macrumors 6502

Do you think Microsoft will offer its programs on the Mac App Store? I would really like to see the apps from Office sold separately. I never really bothered using Word even though I know its spell checking and grammar are far superior to Pages because of the price of Office. I would buy Word from the Mac App Store if Microsoft offered it separate from the other apps. I'm sure some people would buy Outlook too instead of paying $279 just to get Outlook. I mean I bet a lot of people who buy Office only use a few programs right?

Just a thought. What does everyone else think?

What would you buy out of Office 2011 if the apps were offered on the Mac App Store?

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I can't see why MS wouldn't. They get more money. I think the real question is whether Apple will approve it or not ;)

3. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

When did apple reject a MS app? :confused:

4. Mike225 macrumors 6502a

Mike225

I can see the 30% going to Apple being a factor.

5. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I don't think Apple has had a chance to reject MS app.

Ahh, yeah, forgot that. Well, that could be too much for MS as they would basically sell it 30% off and give the money to their biggest arch enemy.

6. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

Why? They will still make a better profit than they make shipping DVDs through brick and mortars or Amazon.

7. Mike225 macrumors 6502a

Mike225

Any quotes to back this up?

8. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Windows 7 Ultimate
    Microsoft price: $319
    Amazon price: $269 (before amazon profit)

9. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

It's an interesting debate. Microsoft doesn't need Apple's marketing to notify Mac users of their relatively few Mac applications.

They may put their free applications on the Mac App Store such as Remote Desktop Connection and MSN Messanger.

10. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Why would MS offer its programs to the app store and take an instant 30% paycut on its proceeds. Especially when they can sell the same app directly to us :confused:

Makes no sense.

11. Kristenn thread starter macrumors 6502

Just an idea. Like I said I avoid buying Microsoft Word because I don't need everything else that comes with Office for the price. They might not get much money but at least I would be buying Word. I'm sure I'm not the only one.

If they wont sell through the Mac App Store... does Microsoft still just sell Word? I would buy it even for $80 dollars. I don't need anything else.