Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
only the pen interface is the whole point of the product. but, whatever
True, but I'd wait to see what actual consumers say. I've used Intuos and Cintiq products in the past and I've never used a digitizer device that came close to them, except maybe the Apple pen/pencil and that still fell short. The 2011 or 2012, I forget, Wacom Bamboo wrote and felt better to use than digitizer enabled Surfaces. And that was a cheap sub $100 product then.

Reactions: bobob

rowspaxe

macrumors 68020
Jan 29, 2010
Again...I agree, $4,200 is alot of money to spend on AiO PC, but if you are a professional artist/designer -which this device is catering to-, then you would know the Surface Studio's price is a bargain when you look at the available alternatives.
also, Yes! seeing the GTX 980M in this machine is a bit disappointing; however, I don't understand why Apple-fanboyz are complaining of the GTX 980m, you guys already used to getting last year specs! :rolleyes:

Its really more of a designers than videographers or 3d/gaming. Surface studio with i7 will be an excellent photoshop or zbrush machine. Certainly Studio would be adequate for HD ediitng. I felt the lack of ssd is the biggest problem: at this price point--i would have preferred a 256 ssd to none at all.

rowspaxe

macrumors 68020
Jan 29, 2010
True, but I'd wait to see what actual consumers say. I've used Intuos and Cintiq products in the past and I've never used a digitizer device that came close to them, except maybe the Apple pen/pencil and that still fell short. The 2011 or 2012, I forget, Wacom Bamboo wrote and felt better to use than digitizer enabled Surfaces. And that was a cheap sub $100 product then.

I am see early reviews and it looks like the Studio pen performs like the surface 4 pen. Skepticism is warranted, this is a massive scale up of the ntrig grid

To me, the different pens present different issues. I like the cintique pens-- there are parallax issues--they don't bother me, really. I liked the surface 4 pen. I find the parallax and latency very acceptable (except ps) and I like the pressure curve. (Sorry youtubers, dragging a pen across a sheet of paper with no pressure does not result in a uniform thin line). Apple pen is a smidge better, but i don't like the tip (too hard). Not a Bamboo fan, and found all pre pencil ipad pens problematic.

The question in my mind is whether one is more productive with a giant drawing canvas or a
more manageable 13-16" digital tablet. The studio looks amazing, but does it feel amazing
or overwhelming

sammyman

macrumors 6502a
Mar 21, 2005
Apple has often come out with the better more innovative product later than other companies once they've refined the technology. Apple watch. Apple TV. iPad.

But now MS is the innovative company. It's launching a new category of products with this computer.

Good news is I won't be upgrading to this computer. Phew! It only has USB 3.0, so that won't work with my externals. I need 3.1. But when MS comes out with the next revision, and Apple is twiddling their thumbs, I'm gone! The only thing holding me here is iMessage and iPhotos. Just my two cents.

Reactions: Mr Rogers

rowspaxe

macrumors 68020
Jan 29, 2010
Apple has often come out with the better more innovative product later than other companies once they've refined the technology. Apple watch. Apple TV. iPad.

But now MS is the innovative company. It's launching a new category of products with this computer.

Good news is I won't be upgrading to this computer. Phew! It only has USB 3.0, so that won't work with my externals. I need 3.1. But when MS comes out with the next revision, and Apple is twiddling their thumbs, I'm gone! The only thing holding me here is iMessage and iPhotos. Just my two cents.
usb 3.1 backward compatible to usb 3.0, but whatever. enjoy your real world performance gain
of 3-6 seconds a gigabyte. There is more of a case for usb 3.1 if you are hubbing. But there is video out on the surface studio so less of a hubbing issue unless you want to drive 2 external monitors, a possible but not likely scenario. Usb 3.1 issues hugely overstated--imo

Last edited:

rowspaxe

macrumors 68020
Jan 29, 2010
Everybody is complaining about the Studio price: rightfully so, but unlike iMac, this thing will be sold at heavy discounts.
Based on what? Neither SP 4 or Surface Book have been heavily discounted. I believe MS has dropped the SP4 4gb 256gb i5 $100 after being on the market for a year.

sammyman

macrumors 6502a
Mar 21, 2005
Based on what? Neither SP 4 or Surface Book have been heavily discounted. I believe MS has dropped the SP4 4gb 256gb i5 $100 after being on the market for a year.

I picked up a SP 4 i5 for $550 at Best Buy maybe 6 months ago. Retail price was $999. Deals like that are almost impossible with Apple products. That said the new Mac Book Pro was discounted on Amazon from $500-800 off briefly, but I'm guessing that was an error with orders being cancelled.

prowlmedia

Suspended
Jan 26, 2010
London
Your second windows take less is hysterical than the first, which prompted me to wonder if you had used the os. In the first post you recount that Windows is "shocking" booting you from tablet to desktop mode, that there is "so much inconsistency with the 2 design styles " and that all metro apps are "metro apps are crippled beyond usability". Your second post is a reasonable collection of small gripes. So which is it? Shocking, or imperfect

Also, re oneNote, the free "metro" version has less functionality but is --imo--better for notes on the fly--I use both versions. Thanks for clarifying. I have these and other windows gripes, but the os has offsetting strengths like touch, digital pen, etc.

Ah I see what the problem is, my fault in not being clear. I was talking about the STYLES of applications in the first post. Metro being the finger friendly chunky buttons/single window and classic mouse friendly and multiple pop ups.

"you are happily in the Metro side and get booted out to the Classic side."
Sorry was slang booting in the case meaning kicked out from a metro designed part of windows to the classic.. such as

windows settings\power and sleep ( metro ) > click on additional power settings...
"kicks you out of metro style" to
Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Power Options ( classic )

There is a lot of this - it's just inconsistent. But Microsoft has never been one for quick change... the Font management had not changed from windows NT till 7 despite being next to useless with zero managment and incredibly slow if you had more than 25 fonts. note the font menu is still in Classic style ;)

I don't consider metro ( sorry universal now ) apps. mail, calendar, maps, app store failing to open at all without an error message or log with no recovery method other than a new user account and copying across all you data a small gripe. This is a much discussed bug on forums.

Nor The start button / search stopping working for no reason.

saxofunk

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2006
Denver, CO
I was excited about the MS Surface Studio (MSSS?) but once I started to dig into the specs, I think it's not for me. I like the interface innovation, but the I/O and the hybrid drive are just not pro level enough for me from an audio production standpoint. I look forward to follow up products in this format, however, and competition from Apple and other manufacturers.

smoledman

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2011
Don't care how 'cool' the demo was. In the wild, Surfaces can be utter garbage devices:

http://www.surfaceforums.net/threads/freezing-black-screen-generally-a-pos.21653/

I was hoping that the most recent October firmware updates might have fixed my SB issues, but alas no. Everything was working nicely for a couple of days. Then, this morning, after leaving the SB plugged in and on all night with the lid closed, I unplugged it and took it to class. When I opened the lid in class, the screen was black, prompting me to do a 30 second power button shutdown and reboot. Things worked fine for an hour and a half until, midway through my lecture, my SB froze completely and I had to give the class a break while I rebooted and reloaded the document from which I was lecturing.

This happens on Microsoft's flagship hardware, all updates installed, using Microsoft Windows 10, and running Microsoft Word. Nothing else running. Pathetic.

When it happens, I make sure all my students know I am using a Microsoft Surface Book and that it is, in my opinion, an expensive piece of garbage.
[doublepost=1478376972][/doublepost]
I was excited about the MS Surface Studio (MSSS?) but once I started to dig into the specs, I think it's not for me. I like the interface innovation, but the I/O and the hybrid drive are just not pro level enough for me from an audio production standpoint. I look forward to follow up products in this format, however, and competition from Apple and other manufacturers.

Microsoft just doesn't care about audio professionals. They still can't be bothered to fix the Windows audio subsystem to bring it to feature parity with macOS, much less the latency problems.

TrueBlou

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2014
Scotland
I'm actually really impressed with the hardware Microsoft is putting out these days. Sure they still have memory limitations, but they are making up for it with beautiful, interesting and innovative hardware.

I never thought I'd see the day when Microsoft were beating Apple at their own game. Honestly I think they are now, Apple are becoming dull and predictable by comparison. If it weren't for my need (and love) of macOS, I'd be seriously considering jumping ship.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Don't care how 'cool' the demo was. In the wild, Surfaces can be utter garbage devices:

http://www.surfaceforums.net/threads/freezing-black-screen-generally-a-pos.21653/

[doublepost=1478376972][/doublepost]

Microsoft just doesn't care about audio professionals. They still can't be bothered to fix the Windows audio subsystem to bring it to feature parity with macOS, much less the latency problems.

You mean people can have bad units? Glad that's only a Microsoft problem.

smoledman

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2011
You mean people can have bad units? Glad that's only a Microsoft problem.

Actually it's very widespread according to all the reviews during launch. Everyone was reporting BSOD, freezing, glitches. MS after 1 year still can't fix Paul Thurott's Surface Book.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Actually it's very widespread according to all the reviews during launch. Everyone was reporting BSOD, freezing, glitches. MS after 1 year still can't fix Paul Thurott's Surface Book.

Ah, right, the Skylake issue. Or are we talking about the graphics card thing that won't be on any Studio?

smoledman

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2011
Ah, right, the Skylake issue. Or are we talking about the graphics card thing that won't be on any Studio?

I'm not holding my breath that Studio will not have all the same freezing, BSOD issues of SP4/SB. It's Microsoft after all. They still do not know how to make a complete solution that 'just works'.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
I'm not holding my breath that Studio will not have all the same freezing, BSOD issues of SP4/SB. It's Microsoft after all. They still do not know how to make a complete solution that 'just works'.

They don't? I have a Surface Pro 3 that doesn't BSoD, doesn't freeze, nd so forth. And the Skylake issues that plague Thurrott are ones that won't happen on a device that isn't put in a bag and doesn't rely on battery power.

smoledman

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2011
They don't? I have a Surface Pro 3 that doesn't BSoD, doesn't freeze, nd so forth. And the Skylake issues that plague Thurrott are ones that won't happen on a device that isn't put in a bag and doesn't rely on battery power.

So that it's a desktop is an excuse for Microsoft to not fix the battery and freezing issues of Surface Pro/Surface Book?

rowspaxe

macrumors 68020
Jan 29, 2010
I picked up a SP 4 i5 for $550 at Best Buy maybe 6 months ago. Retail price was $999. Deals like that are almost impossible with Apple products. That said the new Mac Book Pro was discounted on Amazon from $500-800 off briefly, but I'm guessing that was an error with orders being cancelled.
hmmm, really almost impossible with surface pros as well. i'm skeptical.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.