Microsoft announces: "Surface" tablet 10.6" display, 9.3mm thin, USB on board

Discussion in 'iPad' started by saintforlife, Jun 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. saintforlife, Jun 18, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2012

saintforlife macrumors 6502a

2. dscuber9000 macrumors 6502a

If it costs $300, it's a real competitor. If it is $500 or more, it's nothing. Waiting for price...

3. dba415 macrumors 6502

the keyboard support + office will make this a legitimate player for corporate world already

4. nfl46 macrumors 603

5. TLewis macrumors 65816

This, if the price isn't significantly below the iPad, it's going to fail. Not having a retina-like display is also going to hurt it if it's not priced below the iPad2.

6. Rodster macrumors 68040

Who cares about price. I just paid $600 for an iPad 3, you think $500 is going to bother me? Nope ! :D

7. TLewis macrumors 65816

Not that much. You'd be surprised at how many corporate people already use iPads. A real office suite might help, though. Not sure about that.

8. dscuber9000 macrumors 6502a

People want iPads. I'm not sure people want a Microsoft tablet that runs Windows 8. And they're not just competing against iPad, they're going to have to compete against Windows 8 laptops.

9. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

Give us a way to install OS X (or even Windows 7) and I'm there!

10. ahan.tm macrumors regular

Looks like it's going to be more than the iPad. This is from the Microsoft Press Release(http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/news/press/2012/jun12/06-18announce.aspx):

11. TLewis macrumors 65816

On the other hand, microsoft does have a potentially huge weapon: office365. If microsoft gives away free office365 accounts, like iCloud, that would give their tablet a big boost.

I don't think microsoft will do that, though, as they seem too concerned about protecting their current businesses, to the detriment of their future.

12. TheKricket macrumors member

It's most likely going to be $500 or more - but it does a LOT more than your run-of-the-mill Android tablet. From this keynote - it looks like you'll be able to use standard Windows 8 apps on it - that alone is a very HUGE deal - ESPECIALLY in the business sector.

I love my iPad - I won't get rid of it - but I can't say that MS's offering isn't damn near better than every other iPad competitor out there...

IMO - these are actually two entirely different beasts - DisplayPort, TRUE USB, physical keyboard, e-ink technology - come on - nothing else out there even comes close.

I'm not sure this thing is meant to even be an iPad competitor - just because the form factor appears similar, it doesn't mean we're dealing with two directly competing products...

EDIT - just think about one piece of software - MS Office - in business, it's everywhere - and it looks like this thing will handle the EXACT SAME VERSION of MS Office as Windows 8 PC's - the value in that alone makes it better than every single Android offering...

13. TLewis macrumors 65816

14. Rodster macrumors 68040

I already own 2 iPad's, 2 Android tablets. I want a Windows 8 Tablet to complete the circle of fate, lol. :D

15. TLewis macrumors 65816

lol, why don't you have a playbook? You need to really complete it! :p

Edit: or that HP webos tablet, too?

16. ditzy macrumors 68000

ditzy

This is really interesting. This is the first tablet that feels like a competitor, for the iPad. I love the way they have done their keyboard cover.
    Also that it is microsoft from beginning to end, is very apple. I love the iPad but I am interested to try this.

17. Rodster macrumors 68040

I owned a TouchPad, lol. Sold it, made a little money, what a turkey. So is the Playbook, nothing interest me about the PB. :)

18. TLewis macrumors 65816

Unless they're redone the UI (I don't know), it's going to require a separate mouse (how else you do right-clicks, etc.?).

19. TheKricket macrumors member

Everything is redone in Windows 8 to tend to touchscreens - that was announced long, long ago...

EDIT - not to mention there's a friggin touchpad BUILT INTO the (physical) keyboard...

20. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

I might consider it if it's less expensive than the iPad when you include the cover.

21. Rodster macrumors 68040

Look at the pictures on the kickstand keyboard. There's a touchpad in front of the kybd. :cool:

22. techfreak85 macrumors 68040

techfreak85

It seems to me that this is the way Windows 8 will work the best. The keyboard looks great. Should allow it to work well in Metro and Desktop mode.

23. TLewis macrumors 65816

Interesting gamble.

Users hate to learn new user interfaces/use models/etc.. They're risking users:

• Not upgrading to Windows 8.
    • Moving to Apple.

24. TheKricket macrumors member

When iOS came out - it was COMPLETELY new (attached to a brand new piece of hardware) - let's see how that works out for Apple...

Oh, wait...

25. dscuber9000 macrumors 6502a

But it goes back to why iPad runs iOS and not Mac OS. The interface of Mac OS and its programs was not made with a 10" touch screen in mind. MS Office on a tablet sounds fantastic at first, but I can't imagine using a word processor with a desktop-oriented UI on a 10" touch screen. Even with the keyboard/touchpad attachment. I guess you could use a USB mouse, but then you have a tablet, a keyboard magnet attachment, and then a wireless dongle sticking out and a mouse on the table.

At what point are people going to just use a cheaper Windows 8 laptop? Tablets have to be different from laptops.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.