Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

saintforlife

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 25, 2011
verge-lb-865.jpg

verge-lb-902.jpg

microsofttablet0080.jpg

Built in kickstand and there is a keyboard in the smart cover:

verge-lb-930.jpg

verge-lb-934.jpg

http://www.theverge.com/2012/6/17/3093335/microsoft-major-announcement-event-live-blog

Will it be the first true iPad competitor unlike the Galaxy tablets and the Kindle Fire?

Last edited:

dba415

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2011
the keyboard support + office will make this a legitimate player for corporate world already

TLewis

macrumors 65816
Sep 19, 2007
If it costs $300, it's a real competitor. If it is $500 or more, it's nothing. Waiting for price...
This, if the price isn't significantly below the iPad, it's going to fail. Not having a retina-like display is also going to hurt it if it's not priced below the iPad2.

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
Who cares about price. I just paid $600 for an iPad 3, you think $500 is going to bother me? Nope ! :D

TLewis

macrumors 65816
Sep 19, 2007
the keyboard support + office will make this a legitimate player for corporate world already
Not that much. You'd be surprised at how many corporate people already use iPads. A real office suite might help, though. Not sure about that.

dscuber9000

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2007
Indiana, US
Who cares about price. I just paid $600 for an iPad 3, you think $500 is going to bother me? Nope ! :D

People want iPads. I'm not sure people want a Microsoft tablet that runs Windows 8. And they're not just competing against iPad, they're going to have to compete against Windows 8 laptops.

ahan.tm

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2011
Florida
If it costs $300, it's a real competitor. If it is $500 or more, it's nothing. Waiting for price...

Looks like it's going to be more than the iPad. This is from the Microsoft Press Release(http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/news/press/2012/jun12/06-18announce.aspx):

Suggested retail pricing will be announced closer to availability and is expected to be competitive with a comparable ARM tablet or Intel Ultrabook-class PC. OEMs will have cost and feature parity on Windows 8 and Windows RT.

TLewis

macrumors 65816
Sep 19, 2007
On the other hand, microsoft does have a potentially huge weapon: office365. If microsoft gives away free office365 accounts, like iCloud, that would give their tablet a big boost.

I don't think microsoft will do that, though, as they seem too concerned about protecting their current businesses, to the detriment of their future.

TheKricket

macrumors member
Mar 12, 2012

It's most likely going to be $500 or more - but it does a LOT more than your run-of-the-mill Android tablet. From this keynote - it looks like you'll be able to use standard Windows 8 apps on it - that alone is a very HUGE deal - ESPECIALLY in the business sector.

I love my iPad - I won't get rid of it - but I can't say that MS's offering isn't damn near better than every other iPad competitor out there...

IMO - these are actually two entirely different beasts - DisplayPort, TRUE USB, physical keyboard, e-ink technology - come on - nothing else out there even comes close.

I'm not sure this thing is meant to even be an iPad competitor - just because the form factor appears similar, it doesn't mean we're dealing with two directly competing products...

EDIT - just think about one piece of software - MS Office - in business, it's everywhere - and it looks like this thing will handle the EXACT SAME VERSION of MS Office as Windows 8 PC's - the value in that alone makes it better than every single Android offering...

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
People want iPads. I'm not sure people want a Microsoft tablet that runs Windows 8. And they're not just competing against iPad, they're going to have to compete against Windows 8 laptops.

I already own 2 iPad's, 2 Android tablets. I want a Windows 8 Tablet to complete the circle of fate, lol. :D

TLewis

macrumors 65816
Sep 19, 2007
I already own 2 iPad's, 2 Android tablets. I want a Windows 8 Tablet to complete the circle of fate, lol. :D
lol, why don't you have a playbook? You need to really complete it! :p

Edit: or that HP webos tablet, too?

ditzy

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2007
This is really interesting. This is the first tablet that feels like a competitor, for the iPad. I love the way they have done their keyboard cover.
Also that it is microsoft from beginning to end, is very apple. I love the iPad but I am interested to try this.

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
lol, why don't you have a playbook? You need to really complete it! :p

Edit: or that HP webos tablet, too?

I owned a TouchPad, lol. Sold it, made a little money, what a turkey. So is the Playbook, nothing interest me about the PB. :)

TLewis

macrumors 65816
Sep 19, 2007
EDIT - just think about one piece of software - MS Office - in business, it's everywhere - and it looks like this thing will handle the EXACT SAME VERSION of MS Office as Windows 8 PC's - the value in that alone makes it better than every single Android offering...
Unless they're redone the UI (I don't know), it's going to require a separate mouse (how else you do right-clicks, etc.?).

TheKricket

macrumors member
Mar 12, 2012
Unless they're redone the UI (I don't know), it's going to require a separate mouse (how else you do right-clicks, etc.?).

Everything is redone in Windows 8 to tend to touchscreens - that was announced long, long ago...

EDIT - not to mention there's a friggin touchpad BUILT INTO the (physical) keyboard...

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007

Look at the pictures on the kickstand keyboard. There's a touchpad in front of the kybd. :cool:

techfreak85

macrumors 68040
Jan 13, 2008
Places
It seems to me that this is the way Windows 8 will work the best. The keyboard looks great. Should allow it to work well in Metro and Desktop mode.

TLewis

macrumors 65816
Sep 19, 2007
Everything is redone in Windows 8 to tend to touchscreens - that was announced long, long ago...
Interesting gamble.

Users hate to learn new user interfaces/use models/etc.. They're risking users:

• Not upgrading to Windows 8.
  • Moving to Apple.

TheKricket

macrumors member
Mar 12, 2012
Interesting gamble.

Users hate to learn new user interfaces/use models/etc.. They're risking users:

• Not upgrading to Windows 8.
  • Moving to Apple.

When iOS came out - it was COMPLETELY new (attached to a brand new piece of hardware) - let's see how that works out for Apple...

Oh, wait...

dscuber9000

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2007
Indiana, US

But it goes back to why iPad runs iOS and not Mac OS. The interface of Mac OS and its programs was not made with a 10" touch screen in mind. MS Office on a tablet sounds fantastic at first, but I can't imagine using a word processor with a desktop-oriented UI on a 10" touch screen. Even with the keyboard/touchpad attachment. I guess you could use a USB mouse, but then you have a tablet, a keyboard magnet attachment, and then a wireless dongle sticking out and a mouse on the table.

At what point are people going to just use a cheaper Windows 8 laptop? Tablets have to be different from laptops.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.