Microsoft Apologists

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by blunderboy, Aug 19, 2010.

1. blunderboy macrumors 6502

...can a mod do something about the constant onslaught of dogged Windows defenders on multiple threads? My problem is not that they like Windows, but that they put a lot of Mac users on the defensive on an Apple forum. There's really something kind of counterproductive about feeling that you have to defend your personal choice on a forum that's about the company that makes your preferred product.

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

They are entitled to their opinions. I can't see anything in the forum rules that say you can't like Microsoft or defend their products...

3. Queso macrumors G4

There is nothing wrong with Windows as an OS these days. Millions of people prefer it because it suits how they work and think. Those who use it are just as valid in their preferences as Mac users are. Defending their choice does not make them "apologists".

4. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

If you don't like what they are saying, just ignore them. There's even a button you can click to automate it for you. :)

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

To be sure, I haven't noticed them. Please provide some links to back up the claim.

As others stated, they're free to express their opinion, if you don't like them move on and ignore them.

6. Kebabselector macrumors 68030

Kebabselector

They're probably on par with the Apple fanboys who defend anything Apple does or any AntiApple decision (read the Japanese iPod Nano battery replacement thread for details)

7. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Am I understanding this correctly? You want the mods to stop others from hurting your feelings?

8. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

My sources say yes.

9. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Perhaps the OP could at least provide some links so we can see exactly what they are talking about.

10. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Haven't seen any MicroSheeps lately. Somehow they've all turned into Fandroids. Guess they have to earn a living somehow.

11. redwarrior macrumors 603

redwarrior

Comparison and loyalty is not a bad thing, only when it causes us to miss something better because of making bad choices. :D

Anyway, I think the mods should, instead, consider filtering and prioritizing privileges based on user name.

We have to put up with immaturity in the real world too. I keep looking for the ignore button, but can never find it, so I walk away, like now. Sigh. (But only after getting my dig in.)

12. Heilage macrumors 68030

Heilage

I like Windows. That must mean that I'm one of those evil people who ruin this forum.

13. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

As long as it's not trolling, I don't have a problem with it. When you justify your statement, there is nothing wrong with it even though this is an Apple based forum. I've seen some of these but to be honest, they either tell the truth or troll. If you see them trolling or have a different opinion, give it a go. I enjoy owning people and seeing them going mad :D

And honestly, for some uses a PC is better than a Mac.

14. djellison macrumors 68020

So do I. And Android. And iOS.

Blunderboy - if you want to see the cause of the problem - look at the lexicon of the Apple fanbase 'Windoze' 'Micro$oft' 'Andrones' blah blah blah. If you want people to stop defending windows, then you need to ask your fellow mac evnagelists to stop lying, stop using ad-homs, stop being blinkered followers of anything Steve says, and frankly, grow up.

15. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

How's that Zune? ;)

16. ouimetnick macrumors 68020

ouimetnick

That statement makes you seem like an Apple apologist. We all have our own opinions. For some, a Macintosh is better than a Windows computer. For others, Windows is better than a Mac. They can defend their decision of why Windows is better than a Mac, but that is them. Windows is only better than a Mac for that specific person, and I'm glad that they have a computer that they are happy with.

For some, Windows computers are cheaper and get the job done. Our family PC is a $489 HP Pavilion. We use it for web browsing and email and Photoshop Elements. Guess what. It works GREAT for what we wanted it to do. Why should we have spent $699 on a Mac mini that doesn't even come with a keyboard and mouse (two very low cost components) when a cheaper computer does what we need it to do?

Yes, Windows can get viruses, but we use Microsoft Security Essentials, and we have never gotten a virus yet to start with.

Just because for my parents needs and mine on a computer, a Windows PC does it fine... for $200 less.

17. FoxyKaye macrumors 68000

FoxyKaye

San Francisco, Terre d'Ange, Bas Lag, Gallifrey
    Oh - I thought you were talking about the Mac Business Unit at Microsoft. :D

18. MonkeyET macrumors 6502

I only try not to say negative things about Windows because I used to spend time disrespecting Apple for the reason I now embrace them. I thought the limited choice was ridiculous, that the iPod was going to ruin the music industry, and that the prices were ridiculous. Now I enjoy the simplicity of choices as they all run the same OS (not several versions based on price). I think iTunes has helped the music industry spread music quicker than radio ever could (illegal downloading can't be stopped although I have a purchased copy of every song on my iMac or iPod). Lastly I am willing to pay the premium for a product that has proven to be worth the price. One cannot compare machines based on specs when the systems do not run the same.

This being said, I believe Windows has its benefits, although they are not on my list of purchases to be made. Albeit annoying the Windows' lovers posts on an Apple forum; they help remind me of what I enjoy about my computer. It may put others on the defensive, but it is like a religion of sorts. I believe what I do and I cannot convince others who are unwilling to hear what I have to say. In fact I don't want to say anything to them because I don't want to try to convert anyone. I started with Apple (7th grade computer class) and it only took 17 years for me to come back. Now I am a believer...

19. blunderboy thread starter macrumors 6502

I hate the Windoze/Micro$oft/Andrones crap too. I have, in fact, told people multiple times to stop referring to Windows users as being unenlightened, and to stop using cheap shots like Windoze, Winblows and Micro$oft. I just am tired of having to constantly justify my platform preferences on a forum that's ABOUT that platform. My 'feelings' aren't being hurt. It's just annoying.

I'm not bothered by the Windows people who say 'you know, a PC is better for me.' I'm tired of the Windows people who claim that people dislike Windows because they don't know about computers, or that they all should have got a cheaper PC, even though they're perfectly happy with their Macs/Linux boxes/other non-Windows system. «_«

20. ouimetnick macrumors 68020

ouimetnick

I like your signature BTW. And each Mac OSX and Windows have their pros and cons. Windows is either something you like or hate. Mac OSX is something you either like or hate. Mac OSX isn't better than Windows. Windows isn't better than Mac OSX. It just about personal preference. For me, I pefer Mac OSX over Windows, but I still love and use Windows. I could live and use either OS w/o complaining, but I rather use a Macintosh,

21. aethelbert macrumors 601

Why exactly do you feel the need to justify your personal preferences to random strangers on the internet?

22. ouimetnick macrumors 68020

ouimetnick

Maybe the OP isn't happy with his preferred platform? If I like something, I don't need to justify it, I just like it automatically. No need to convince my self why its a good choice.

23. blunderboy thread starter macrumors 6502

I like my preferred platform a lot. I just get annoyed when people feel the need to go 'zomg why are you on a mac' on a Mac forum. It's just noise when I'm trying to talk about something else. :/ I just don't feel like I should have to give a point-by-point answer about why I don't like Windows when all these people keep trolling threads.

24. ouimetnick macrumors 68020

ouimetnick

I haven't seen posts like that. Don't reply to them. So what if they don't like Macs. You do, Mac OSX is what you like. If they are trolls, they come to start trouble. By replying, you add fuel to the fire, and make them happy and they then reach their goal. No need to tell someone who doesn't like a macintosh why its better than Windows. For them, Windows maybe better for them. you like OSX, so just stop feeding the trolls and go use and enjoy OSX.

25. chown33 macrumors 604

It's simple: don't answer.

Only post replies to the things you want to talk about. Even when you start a thread, it's not your thread, and you have no responsibility to discourage or encourage anyone. You can report rule-breakers, if they really are breaking forum rules.

Otherwise you should learn to ignore those things that annoy you, and only engage with those things you like. When you engage with things that annoy you, you have consented to being annoyed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serenity_Prayer