Microsoft arc or apple keyboard & mouse?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by AQUADock, Apr 22, 2011.

1. AQUADock macrumors 65816

AQUADock

I want to get a new keyboard & mouse for my mac. My old wireless apple keyboard is dieing, for some reason its using excessive amounts of battery and my mighty is just old. I was thinking of getting the Microsoft arc touch mouse & arc keyboard they were bundled together for $70 (good deal or not), or should I get a new apple keyboard & magic mouse? What do you think?

2. aimeeinohio macrumors regular

aimeeinohio

If it were me, I'd get the Apple keyboard and track pad...actually I am thinking of doing this.

I bought a little knock off apple keyboard off ebay for $30.00, and IT HAS NO ESCAPE KEY!!!! grrrr

I've been using my Wacom bamboo tablet as a trackpad, and I hate it. It's not nearly as responsive as my MBP' trackpad is, and it irritates the crap out of me.:eek:

3. Michael383 macrumors 6502a

I think you should get a new Apple keyboard and magic mouse.

4. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

I have an arc mouse and it works really well...it also folds up really good for traveling!

I have lots of different mice and I wish logitech made something like the arc that used the unifying receiver concept so I could also carry my k340 kb and my n300 number pad for when I wanted to use those devices!

5. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

6. AQUADock thread starter macrumors 65816

AQUADock

I don't really like trackpads that much

Is the arc comfortable? and it sounds annoying that ill have to use 2 separate receivers.

:D

7. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

Yes, I the Arc is comfortable and I have 2 iHome mice, 3 logitech and 2 other MS mice (and about 4 other brands that I've given away lately)...

8. laudern macrumors 6502a

the mac trackpad is not a normal trackpad though..You do really need to go to a mac shop and experience a multitouch pad...it was far and away better than a mouse for general usage...

9. lilcosco08 macrumors 65816

lilcosco08

If you want to right click without lifting your left finger or pressing a key, get the arc

10. laudern macrumors 6502a

i have a magic mouse and I didnt even realise this was a problem, having to lift the left finger to click the right. I honestly have not been concerned about his at all...Ive even played portal 1 and 2 with this mouse and I dont find it to be an issue

11. stiwi macrumors regular

Apple keyboard - yes, but I don't recommend the mouse. I have both Apple mouses and they are annoying to use. The magic mouse idea is great but the mouse itself is too flat.

I bought recently Arc Touch and it's a really good product. I use it with my MBP when travelling, while at home Performance M950 from Logitech. M950 is very good mouse but I am not completely happy with it: you have to recharge batteries quite often; this mouse is slightly too big despite I have quite big hands; sound click is not as I would expect to be (M905 and Arc Touch have better click sound to my taste). However I am not sure yet if I would like to swap Arc Touch for my primary mouse. I can't figure out how to customize page down / page up buttons. I am using steermouse and was able to customize middle click, but not up / down.

My wife has Anywhere M905 from Logitech and it is a very good mouse: good battery life; very comfortable in hand. I highly recommend this mouse. Probably M705 is also worth looking at, I was actually considering buying this or Arc Touch but went for the latter.

12. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

I would not recommend the Arc mouse. It's unreliable, the battery cuts in and out at times, etc. Go with the Magic Mouse.

13. kylera macrumors 65816

kylera

Mice and keyboards are probably by far the most subjective parts of a computer. I recommend you visit a shop in person and try them out.

Personally, I hate Apple's recent keyboard. I go with a Microsoft ergonomic wireless desktop set. But that's just me..I know some people who hurl at my setup, but it works for me, and that's all that matters.

14. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

This is a very individual preference. I had a Apple trackpad and found the lack of accurate and quick cursor control very frustrating, so sold it and went back to a Magic Mouse. Like you said, one really should try the trackpad out before buying.

15. rikbrown macrumors regular

Sorry to bump this, but curious - do the Arc Touch mouse's gestures work on OS X exactly the same as the Magic Mouse? Like, flicking between pages etc?

16. djrobsd macrumors 6502a

Only you can know what's right for you. Personally I've been using the Apple products for a few weeks now and they are not working out too good ergonomically for me so I may go back to my wired ergo keyboard and trackball.... I like how cool the Apple products look, but what good is cool if you get carpel tunnel syndrome?

17. stiwi macrumors regular

Nope, but the fast scrolling works. In fact, the configuration settings are very limited in terms of this mouse. For example you cannot even turn off the scrolling sound in OSx and you can't assign all keys. Steermouse recognizes the middle button (when you tap it twice) so you can configure this, but it doesn't see page up / page down so you can't configure this to your own preferences.

Steermouse replied the following:
    "Unfortunately SteerMouse does not support the mouse.
    Probably some special device commands are required to support it.
    We will need an actual mouse for investigating it, but we do not have.
    I am sorry for not giving you good news in this case."

Anyway, this is the best portable mouse I came across. I couldn't stand neither of Apple mouses.

18. Cyberhec macrumors newbie

I have been using this mouse with my new macbook (after switching from Win 7) for a week. The page up page down buttons work fine. I haven't tried configuring the "back" function yet, am just installing the mac software from microsoft...

I am quite happy with this mouse (although I prefer to have a physical BACK button for my thumb, which this mouse doesn't have). I have never tried a Mac mouse, being new to Macs.

19. lc25 macrumors 6502

Go for the apple setup, i was hesitant but i am so glad i did.

20. Phildo macrumors member

Phildo

An Apple keyboard will have the Eject key. Most others won't.