Microsoft AU Daemon, how to delete it?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by seasurfer, Jan 3, 2008.

1. seasurfer macrumors 6502a

Ok, I saw Microsoft AU Daemon in my activity monitor. How am I going to stop it from automatically booting up?

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I'm gonna speculate here... Isn't that what keeps Office up to date? I reckon it'll probably be an item in your StartupItems folder but since I still run Office X (with no autoupdate function), I'm not 100% sure what the name may be. I can't imagine it takes up all that many resources. Why do you want to get rid of it?

3. Makosuke macrumors 603

Mad Jew reckons correctly on all counts. It's the little thingy that checks for Office (2004) updates. Doesn't really take up much in the way of resources, but it's easy to disable: Go to the Accounts preference pane, select the Login Items tab, and remove it from the list there.

You may want to run it manually every once in a while, though, since Office is afflicted with security issues periodically, and they do also fix crashing bugs on rare occasions. The application that does the checking and updating is Microsoft AutoUpdate.app, and it's usually found at the top level of the Applications folder.

Oddly, it looks like setting it to "Manually" doesn't remove that daemon from the Login Items list, which is mildly annoying. Then again, it is Microsoft.

4. seasurfer thread starter macrumors 6502a

It just does not remove. Can I delete that microsoft update file?

5. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

You have to change Microsoft Autoupdate to not check automatically.

In your Applications folder there is an app called Microsoft AutoUpdate. Run that app and it will popup a window asking how you would like to check for software updates. Choose Manually.

This will remove that process. Atleast it does on my machine.

-Kevin