Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aricher

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Feb 20, 2004
Chi-il
Apple Beware: Microsoft Awarded Web Phone Patent

Could Apple's iPhone be at the mercy of a patent just granted to Microsoft? Could be, judging by U.S. Patent 7,225,409, "Graphical User Interface For A Screen Telephone," which was awarded to Microsoft on Tuesday. More potential worries for Apple: The patent isn't just for a phone, but for the underlying software, and the patent document even includes a helpful flowchart.

According to its abstract, the Microsoft patent is GUI-centric. "A graphical user interface for a web telephone and other telephony devices provides a unique combination of display elements that provide information and enable the user to access functionality of the device," it reads. "The display elements include customizable screen areas called panes, an application program selection area, and call state area for displaying telephone line status information."

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
i doubt it, that description fits any smartphone in the market, so I am sure its not that crazy

someguy

macrumors 68020
Dec 4, 2005
Still here.
I could be wrong, but I think Apple gets patents for everything they do ahead of time so this kind of thing doesn't happen.

feelthefire

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2006
I could be wrong, but I think Apple gets patents for everything they do ahead of time so this kind of thing doesn't happen.

You would in fact be wrong. Patents are often not even pending when products are announced and haven't necessarily been awarded by the ship date.

It's entirely possible both microsoft and apple filed patents close together for a similar device, and both went forward with producing said devices, and Microsoft may have gotten there first. A multitouch HTC handset is expected on 5th June, which would no doubt fall under this patent.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.