Microsoft Bluetooth Wireless Laser Mouse 8000?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Colin20, Mar 18, 2009.

1. Colin20 macrumors regular

I'm looking to get a bluetooth mouse. I'm switching over from a HP laptop and I have always used microsoft mice. Can anybody give me their opinions on the Microsoft Bluetooth Laser Mouse 8000? Since the macbook pros have built in bluetooth, I'm assuming the usb adapter isn't necessary. How good is this mouse?

Microsoft Bluetooth Wireless Laser Mouse 8000

2. Colin20 thread starter macrumors regular

After doing some more research and reading some reviews on newegg.com I've found out mac users have lots of problems trying to get this mouse to pair up properly without using the usb dongle. Is the Logitech V470 currently the best available bluetooth option?

3. simplemind macrumors member

UT (for the time being, cant leave soon enough)
    I have also recently switched over from a Lenovo and have that same wireless mouse, I have not tried to pair it as of yet cause like the gesturing with the new trackpad. But maybe I will try it out tonight...

4. Tom Sawyer macrumors 6502a

Tom Sawyer

I'm using one with my Mac Pro and it synced up with out a single issue. Just held in the small button on the bottom and let the control panel search for new device (mouse)... found it right away.

It's a pretty good match for the mac... color scheme etc with the aluminum. It's not as smooth as my wired G9 Logitech, but then that is expected as the G9 is a gaming mouse, a high resolution wired mouse.

5. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

i've been using a Logitech V470 for a few months and its a nice litlte mouse. Never had disconnection problems at all on OSX or Windows.

I just ordered the Kensington Slimblade trackball mouse so i'll see how that one works out. Bluetooth is the way to go if your machine is equipped with it.

6. clarifix macrumors newbie

I have used the 8000 since it was released, about 2 years ago.

I bought it because it is a nice looking mouse that fitted my MacBook Pro and my hand, and it has a massive amount of buttons, something I still cannot see with even the most recently released bluetooth mice. Left, right, forward, back, scroll wheel, scroll wheel left, scroll wheel right, scroll wheel click, that's a total of 7 buttons + wheel.

I looked like a mistake when I first tried it, because it uses an Microsoft their "First Connect" flavour of BlueTooth and my Mac was not able to pair with it.

Luckily, a lot of other people had the same problem, and the solution turned out to be pretty simple. To add the mouse using the bluetooth control panel, choose "Any Device" instead of "Mouse" and in the next window, choose "Passkey Options…" and "Do not use a passkey with this device".
    Then the mouse connects without pairing.

I use USB Overdrive with it since Montalcini released the bluetooth version of his excellent driver software. If you can afford the mouse, you should also spend the extra 20 because it's worth it.

Bluetooth mice in general aren't as responsive as RF or wired mice, but I do not use my MacBook for games, so it's OK.
    Another thing I see with MacBook users ( my collegues ) that have bluetooth mice, they all have a love/hate relationship with the little rodent. Bluetooth mice seem to need that extra little bit of attention...:rolleyes:

One more thing. This mouse can be used with a rechargeable battery. I used other mice with a built-in battery, and when the adapter dies, you can throw away everything.