Microsoft Breaks Internet (again)

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by bigandy, Mar 19, 2009.

1. bigandy macrumors G3

bigandy

BBC

I'm mostly intrigued by the "integral part of it's forthcoming Windows 7" part. I thought they were stopping that because of antitrust suits.

Oh well. :rolleyes:

2. steve2112 macrumors 68040

steve2112

3. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

How does this have anything to do with the thread title, "Microsoft Breaks Internet"?

4. hexonxonx macrumors 601

That's what I'm wondering. I thought they really broke it or something.

5. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Anytime a new version of IE comes out, a huge number of websites, all with proper coding stop working, therefore, people like me in Tech Support get hundreds of calls saying "the Internet is broken" when come to find out their favorite website doesn't work with the new IE.

TEG

6. AppleMatt macrumors 68000

AppleMatt

Misleading title. I thought we were looking at another Cisco source code theft or something along those lines.

Thanks for the tip though, I'll update my partners computer.

AppleMatt

7. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I'm not impressed so far. Like 7, it looks like a Vista app even when running on XP. However, even more annoying is the "compatibility view". Since MS has made the engine a lot more standards compliant, they've added CV as a way to use the old IE 7 engine on sites that don't support 8. The problem I have is that as soon as I open a site, I get a little balloon saying "If this site doesn't look right then click here to switch to compatibility view". Am I going to keep getting this for every single site?! :eek:

8. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

+1. Having worked in a tech support position when IE7 came out, we dealt with that all the time.

This will break a ton of sites that look fine in IE7, just like IE7 broke a ton of sites in IE6. And now web developers everywhere will have to update their sites so they look fine in IE8. In the meantime, a site coded to XHTML standards looks fine in any version of Firefox or Safari :rolleyes:

9. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Can someone please go to www.odc.govt.nz and see whether the dropdown menus up the top work? On my system I'm just getting white rectangles!

Edit: Apparently it's not just me.

10. FX120 macrumors 65816

FX120

Uh, that is a review of the beta software from over 6 months ago.

I am running the final version of IE 8 on another computer with a few tabs open, it is sitting at 200MB right now.

11. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

Is that Version Targeting? I haven't seen it in action yet so I don't know how they implemented it.

I really would like to see (and this is completely unrealistic, I realize) IEn fail so miserably it's got a user percentage less than Netscape 4. I don't use it except for testing, and when I tried it in the Win7 beta, I was surprised at how hard to use it was.

...and allowing the user to uninstall it from their new Windows system isn't right either imo - the antitrust lawyers should have forced M$ to either dual-install and dual-promote Firefox, or make it plain English the security flaws of & how to uninstall IE.

12. bigandy thread starter macrumors G3

bigandy

I bet you won't be able to remove it completely. The word "integrated" surely wouldn't be used if that were the case.

[​IMG]

I'm glad two people got what I was on about in the thread title.

IE is horrific for rendering. It's too compliant with it's own standards. :rolleyes:

No point in rushing to update a computer to IE8 - you need to ensure it'll work with the sites you need to visit first.