Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OutThere

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 19, 2002
NYC
Link: http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/2003/08/15/dos/

Microsoft Corp.'s main Web site was inaccessible for two hours Thursday evening, the victim of an Internet-borne DoS (denial of service) attack, the company said.

The company is cooperating with federal law enforcement officials to investigate the attack, which is the second successful DoS attack against Microsoft.com this month.

Some people really hate M$...this and the blaster worm...just one more reason to love your mac.:D

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
Seems like it's time to resurrect an old slogan...

Microsoft: Where do you want hackers to take you today?

MS doesn't even deserve to exist after being this shoddy. What a crock...

pnw

Powerbook G5

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
St Augustine, FL
They can no longer blindly insist that their new "and improved" security built into their OS works...I wonder what the Department of Homeland security is thinking now after spending all that money for new Windows systems.

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
Just went to the update page from my Win2000 PC. It's down. Glad I updated when it first came out. Applied the patch, and updated my virus scanner, and my firewalls... I hate Windows.

Too bad some of my friends and family (and co-workers) weren't as lucky. Keep telling them, shoulda bought a Mac. Stoopid Windows. Stoopid M$.

-

"Billy boy, stop spending your money and fix your damn software".

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
Yeah seriously, I don't know why people keep using windows as their main OS, look, you need to update constantly, even for the Mac Os X security updates most of the problems are only problems that can be exploited if the person was on at my desk trying to break into my machine...

Like that 3000+ letter break in thing, I couldnt even crack my machine even with the known glitch, before I could patch it.

I held down one button for 3 minutes... nada.

5 Minutes... nada

3 hours... nada.

But with windows you have so many options... :eek:

bennetsaysargh

macrumors 68020
Jan 20, 2003
New York
well, this should teach my friend a lesson. get a mac.
she had her computer away for about a month because of a virus.
she must have about 17 billion security updates to install. haha.

MacViolinist

macrumors regular
Nov 28, 2001
Texas
Originally posted by Powerbook G5
They can no longer blindly insist that their new "and improved" security built into their OS works...I wonder what the Department of Homeland security is thinking now after spending all that money for new Windows systems.

Not to give them more credit than they deserve, but does MS actually use Windows to serve their website? I know it seems like a sily question, but Dell uses a bunch of Compaqs running *nix to serve their intranet at the Austin campus.

-The Grewsome Drewsome

ollywilson2003

macrumors member
Mar 15, 2003
New Zealand
Originally posted by MrMacman
Yeah seriously, I don't know why people keep using windows as their main OS

The sad reason is, people are stupid and they will use whatever has the most ad exposure. Most of the people i know have crappy PCs with about 10,000 viruses, worms and such and they dont care if the computer crashes 10 times a day because they dont know (and dont care) that there is something better than Windows.

And then they come round to my house and comlain that my iMac "sucks" because they cant find the Start menu.
:mad:

OutThere

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 19, 2002
NYC
Originally posted by MacViolinist
Not to give them more credit than they deserve, but does MS actually use Windows to serve their website? I know it seems like a sily question, but Dell uses a bunch of Compaqs running *nix to serve their intranet at the Austin campus.

-The Grewsome Drewsome

It would be incredibly hypocritical for M$ to be running Unix...does anyone know if apple.com is running X Server?

avus

macrumors regular
Nov 4, 2002
Originally posted by OutThere761
It would be incredibly hypocritical for M$ to be running Unix...does anyone know if apple.com is running X Server?

Someone at MacCentral pointed this out...

Netcraft

According to this, MS switched from Windows Server 2003 to Linux on 08/15/03, to enounter the Blaster attack, I suppose.

Yes, MS is incredibly hypociritial.

pseudobrit

macrumors 68040
Jul 23, 2002
Jobs' Spare Liver Jar
To be fair to MS, this was a DoS attack that would have affected any site.

That it probably happened due to hijacking of millions of Windows machines because of the Blaster worm is their fault, and a beautiful irony.

billyboy

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2003
In my head
This story is quite bizarre. Its like the dumb prey (MS) has been caught by a bug yet turned on the bug hunter who actually alerted them to the danger.

MS are just too big for their boots making rules about how volunteers should help them sort MS´s own problems out. In two words, Un-believable.

http://newsletter.vnunet.com/News/1113324

BTW my parents and half a dozen friends and family want to know how to get back onto the internet properly. Is there a solution (apart from buying a Mac) that doesnt involve downloading a patch?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.