Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Back in 2020, Microsoft considered selling its Bing search engine to Apple, reports Bloomberg. Had the acquisition happened, Bing would have replaced Google as the default search engine on Apple devices.

microsoft-bing-chatgpt.jpg

Microsoft executives met up with Apple services chief Eddy Cue to discuss a potential deal, but the talks were just exploratory and did not progress. According to Bloomberg, Apple did not move forward with a deal because of the money that it earns from Google and because it was concerned that Bing could not compete with Google in "quality and capabilities."

Google's search engine has long been the default search engine on the iPhone, iPad, and Mac, and Google pays Apple billions of dollars per year for the privilege. Google and Apple last inked a deal in 2021, facilitated by Cue, and as of 2020, Apple was collecting $4 billion and $7 billion annually from Google. The Apple/Google deal has been under scrutiny this week due to the antitrust trial between Google and the U.S Department of Justice, with the DoJ pointing toward Google's dominance on Apple devices as evidence that Google has a search engine monopoly.

Eddy Cue this week had to testify in the trial, and he explained why Google is the iPhone's default search engine. "We make Google be the default search engine because we've always thought it was the best," Cue said. He went on to say that Apple has not gone with another search engine provider because there is no "valid alternative."

While Google is the default search engine on Apple devices, users can choose to swap to Yahoo, Bing, DuckDuckGo, or Ecosia as an alternative. Bing has recently become a more popular search engine option thanks to Microsoft's partnership with OpenAI and the integration of chatbot technology.

Article Link: Microsoft Considered Selling Bing to Apple in 2020

• Wow
Reactions: Pinkyyy 💜🍎

ArrayDecay

macrumors 6502
Feb 21, 2019
Greater Seattle Area

Back in 2020, Microsoft considered selling its Bing search engine to Apple, reports Bloomberg. Had the acquisition happened, Bing would have replaced Google as the default search engine on Apple devices.

microsoft-bing-chatgpt.jpg

Microsoft executives met up with Apple services chief Eddy Cue to discuss a potential deal, but the talks were just exploratory and did not progress. According to Bloomberg, Apple did not move forward with a deal because of the money that it earns from Google and because it was concerned that Bing could not compete with Google in "quality and capabilities."

Google's search engine has long been the default search engine on the iPhone, iPad, and Mac, and Google pays Apple billions of dollars per year for the privilege. Google and Apple last inked a deal in 2021, facilitated by Cue, and as of 2020, Apple was collecting $4 billion and $7 billion annually from Google. The Apple/Google deal has been under scrutiny this week due to the antitrust trial between Google and the U.S Department of Justice, with the DoJ pointing toward Google's dominance on Apple devices as evidence that Google has a search engine monopoly.

Eddy Cue this week had to testify in the trial, and he explained why Google is the iPhone's default search engine. "We make Google be the default search engine because we've always thought it was the best," Cue said. He went on to say that Apple has not gone with another search engine provider because there is no "valid alternative."

While Google is the default search engine on Apple devices, users can choose to swap to Yahoo, Bing, DuckDuckGo, or Ecosia as an alternative. Bing has recently become a more popular search engine option thanks to Microsoft's partnership with OpenAI and the integration of chatbot technology.

Article Link: Microsoft Considered Selling Bing to Apple in 2020
I like Bing.

ghanwani

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2008
The Apple Google relationship is quite twisted because of the original Android lawsuit. So we can never understand the true reason for their business relationships.

Vega20

macrumors member
Apr 11, 2022
You'd have to pay me to use Bing. Oh wait, they do with Microsoft Rewards. The SEO isn't terrible, but Google is still far better. It's come a long way from the Ballmer era at least.

zakarhino

Contributor
Sep 13, 2014
I went back to Google + Chrome from DDG + Firefox considering the results are better, it's faster (in particular Chrome), it has the new Gen AI stuff, and avoiding ad tracking in 2023 is a fool's errand. It's basically impossible, the more tweaks you make to avoid it the more you become a unique browser ID which gets tracked anyway.

So ublock + pihole is fine for me for now. Not being able to install a full fledged ad blocker in iOS/Safari is another reason ad telemetry avoidance is difficult, every effort you make on desktop is undermined by your phone. So yeah, there's no avoiding it fully. A couple of Google services (I already use YouTube) is worth the trade off.

Fuzzball84

macrumors 68020
Apr 19, 2015
You'd have to pay me to use Bing. Oh wait, they do with Microsoft Rewards. The SEO isn't terrible, but Google is still far better. It's come a long way from the Ballmer era at least.
I’d not even want to get paid to use google search. I tend to avoid google products except google maps, which I find to be awesome.

zach-coleman

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2022
Didn't stop them from pushing Apple Maps when it was still half-baked.
Google wouldn’t give Apple turn by turn directions in the app when it was backed by Google. They were lagging behind Android and wanted to close to gap.

I switched to DuckDuckGo. Not google and works just as great
Have they fixed the problem where you can’t back out of a search result link without it kicking you all the way to the homepage? This made it unusable for me when I tried it a while ago.

Fuzzball84

macrumors 68020
Apr 19, 2015
Wow, this is wild to read! I got turned onto Bing years ago when I learned it could pay for XBOX Live, itself, just by searching and never looked back. People like to trash talk it but there’s very little real world differences in search, then and now, for the day to day.
When I first started using Bing back in 2010 I did a few (non scientific) tests comparing the two… and for the most part Bing was returning results that were on par with Google search. I didn’t see any difference for my use… and if you really want to be thorough you’d use a service that uses many search engines anyhow. Since I trusted Microsoft more as a company and used many of their products anyhow, I made the switch to Bing and never looked back.

One of the first things I do setting up a new device is changing the default search engine to Bing.

KaliYoni

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2016
With hindsight, MSFT was lucky the sale didn't go through because now Bing is its casual user on-ramp to ChatGPT (probably a better way to spend $10b than Meta's bet on VR!).

Reactions: raysfan81
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.