Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jimbobb24

macrumors 68040
Jun 6, 2005
It sounds like the contractor is the problem. He leaked the info to a website and he was the one responsible for keeping it private. He thinks he is pointing out a problem with Microsoft but he is the problem. No system is secure if the actual people tasked with keeping the info private don't honor their contracts.

Using real humans to correct machines - of course this has to happen. Zero surprise. Anonymized is the only way to do it and limit any way of connecting to real people but nothing unusual or odd about this.

rictus007

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2011
Intimate conversations between couples who don't speak the same language and rely on Skype translation services to communicate? Color me skeptical. The reporting on this seems a bit overblown and drama-seeking to me.

Hey, sometimes this happens .... that’s what I heard. The attraction happened without words and then you need to order a pizza or a taxi ...., and well you end using a translator

NIKKG

macrumors 6502
Feb 23, 2012
This is the work of CIA/NSA testing things out. Same goes for Siri, Google Now, Alexa, etc. All government listening devices.

acader

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2018
West
Nothing surprising here. Everybody starting with the FBI listens to conversations. Apple or Microsoft are no exceptions. Google, Amazon and any other voice device that performs a voice and "listening" function is bound to have somebody listening to the call.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Microsoft also said that the audio data sent to contractors is through a secure online portal, and that it ensures any identifying information (like the user's name or device identification numbers) are removed.
People using the translator feature may very well be giving identifying information in their conversations, such as who they are, how to contact them, where a meeting will take place, etc. It's easy to learn a lot about someone by listening in. That sure sounds like "identifying information" to me.

garylapointe

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2006
Dearborn (Detroit), MI, USA
Except that good language translation involves more than just a word for word substitution.

Correct. But if it's a translation that makes no sense in any context, you know it's wrong (and needs further analysis).

Plus, I specifically mentioned looking at the context.

Starting at a smaller level, means fewer people listening to your whole conversation.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
This gonna be a 'new thing now.?? Now every other company that has mic's/speakers in will be listening.. will start poping up like wild rabbits

It you can't trust the company your dealing with, then maybe the companies shouldn't be allowed to to this.'

I'm surprised more is not done to prevent this, by putting a block of access of listening inside Microsoft, or "a special" version of skype feature not even there on the first place. if employees cannot be trusted.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.