Microsoft crashed my mac!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by penyekz, May 21, 2009.

1. penyekz macrumors newbie

Having just entered the mac world I must say that it has been a great pleasure to use OS X. Everything just works and the learning curve has not been too steep. The mac has also never crashed on me and I experienced zero slow downs.... A huge contrast to microsoft!

Anyway, here I go installing office for mac. Load up MSN messenger and the dock disappeared. Cannot minimise. Cannot shut down or restart. The whole thing just stood there. Isn't that just soooooooo typical of microsoft??!!! They just can't create anything that works properly. And this is coming from someone who previously shrugged off apple and mac os!

Thinking about what happened, I'm guessing that as I've not loaded MSN for about a year, I've had probably about a hundred+ "spam friends" add me onto their list and this just made MSN go crazy.

Anyway, just wanted to get that off my chest.... Much like the same way I hate sony with a vengence.... But thats another story altogether....

2. ppc750fx macrumors 65816

Actually, they do quite an impressive job, given both the scope of the problem and the wide range of software/hardware combinations that their products have to deal with.

The majority of MS software undergoes one hell of a lot of testing, and I'm continually impressed by just how many products they actively maintain (and how long they maintain them for.)

... and this is coming from a guy who runs Linux on his laptop!

3. nanofrog macrumors G4

Step back from it a bit, and I find it's amazing anything works at all. :eek: Given the fact all the hardware and software development is done by multiple vendors, none of which collaborate very well, if at all. ;) Standards seems to be about it. :p

What really amazes me, is Windows is actually making steps (finally ;)) in the right direction. I've had decent experiences with Vista (since SP1, prior is another story and a half :p), and Win7 seems to be even better (RC 7100 ATM). (I dont' use MSN though).

OS X isn't perfect either, but has fewer "fingers in the pie" per se. So it has an advantage in that respect IMO.

4. Insulin Junkie macrumors 65816

Insulin Junkie

Curious to find out why!

5. ppc750fx macrumors 65816

Well the whole "illegally installing a rootkit on customer's computers" thing kinda bugged a lot of people...

6. Insulin Junkie macrumors 65816

Insulin Junkie

Ah, that one.

7. ppc750fx macrumors 65816

Yep. :D

Plus, the numerous excellent products hamstrung by arbitrary restrictions (every MiniDisc player ever), the endless stream of completely incompatible, short-lived proprietary formats (ATRAC, the Memory Stick family, UMD, etc.), and fantastically shoddy, over-priced gear... those haven't helped their image either.

8. Insulin Junkie macrumors 65816

Insulin Junkie

Now now, I love my Vaio :D
    Yeah, I don't like sony much as a company, and I don't like the way they killed HD DVD by putting the movies of the studios they own on Blu Ray and hence gaining advantage over their rival in that way, instead of letting the market decide what it liked better. Indeed, Sony are notorious for their format jungle, for better or for worse! But I love their flatscreens and their laptop range. The rootkit thing doesn't affect me either because I usually buy CD's of european underground artists that are in no way near sony's radar. Then there's trusted slsk of course, but shhh! :)

9. ppc750fx macrumors 65816

Use a ThinkPad from 1999 then come back to me. ;)

Sony build quality pales in comparison... and the IBM machines tended to be cheaper too!

10. wfj5444 macrumors 6502

That's the definition of 'letting the market decide'. Use your advantage as best as you can. If I get attacked by a bear, sure as heck I am gonna use my .45 and not just my hands. :D

PS... I wish HDDVD would have won.

11. penyekz thread starter macrumors newbie

I used to love sony (this is going back 15 years +). Bought their walkmans, cd players, "huge" 34" tv screens (huge for those days), vcd/dvd players, camcorders. Now, I'm someone who really looks after my stuff. No abuse unless accidental. Dell engineer commented my 2 year old laptop looks brand new! :D

Anyway, in my humble experience, all their products have a limited shelf life and are of extremely poor quality. warranty for 12 months, the damn thing breaks down after 14 months, etc.

Once dropped a sony walkman from waist to ground. damn thing couldn't work. then, someone accidentally dropped my Aiwa (what happened to them anyway?) walkman 4th floor to ground. the thing just started up like nothing happened!

To top it all off.... sony customer service is amongst the worst in the industry. rude and irresponsible! took my handycam in for service one day. battery was left in it. camcorder came back after a week without the battery. After numerous calls to sony, initially they refused to give me a battery back then it was "as a gesture of good will" rubbish they decided to replace after i threatened them with a letter to the regulatory body. the icing on the cake is that the handycam broke down again 3 months after the warranty expired. expensive paperweight!

anyway, hating sony makes my electronic shopping much easier. :D

12. Melrose macrumors 604

Melrose

Good heavens I can't stand Sony computers either. I wouldn't touch one with a ten-foot Wacom stylus.

OP: I think that's par for the course with Windows - of course, that's my opinion since I've had several bad experiences w the OS. I find that Windows actually rns faster and more reliably (knock on wood) in Fusion than it ever did on my old Dells, Compaqs, Sonys and HPs. Go figure :confused:

Penyekz: recently it's like Sony has just been resting on their laurels, like Bose. They had a good quality product back in the day, but didn't keep up with things and let some stuff go to pot.

13. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

IMHO, you are being kind. To the geek with more money than sense, Sony is like the drop-dead gorgeous girl who is smart as a whip, but sleeps with your friends. When Sony is good, it is very good. However, it is bad much more often than less glamorous brands. Unfortunately, its glamor keeps pulling me back only to be disappointed again. My latest Sony disappointment is a new 40-inch Sony LCD HDTV that was faulty out-of-the-box. [A weak solder joint breaks the TV's digital circuitry when it warms up.]

14. nanofrog macrumors G4

Lead free solder ends up with more bad joints than with the 60/40 it replaced. :rolleyes: :(