Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mtmspa

Suspended
May 13, 2013
We just now got Yammer introduced at work. I don't use it. My group uses mainly Skype's instant messaging feature to communicate, although Skype has turned to crap in the past few years. I'll get a message and go click on the window and it'll gray out and do the "Not Responding" thing. Like 5 times a day. Plus it's now covered in ads.

Skype for business doesn't have ads. Use it everyday and it works great on my Laprop and iOS devices.

We can't move users to Skype online until the get persistent chat. Teams will be awesome for my company.

petsounds

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2007
What Soupcan said is a crock (see what I did there?).

It is all encrypted and Microsoft cannot read it.

What makes you think Microsoft can't read your conversations? The product page only says, "Data is encrypted in transit and at rest." They don't say whether they have access to the encryption key. This is the same company that handed over the keys to Skype and their cloud service to the NSA. You should not trust Microsoft to protect your privacy, even in the enterprise market.

Reactions: itguy06 and thasan

PizzaBoxStyle

macrumors 6502
Dec 11, 2014
Apple HQ Cupterino Spaceship
Was thinking this myself. Awesome, a new chat platform that Micro$oft will forget about and leave to rot just like Skype for Business and Yammer.

What really sucks is nothing integrates with AD as well as M$ products and this prevents a lot of IT departments from using anything else.

I'm not so sure about that. Apparently they have been using it internally (in beta) for some time now.

Office365 at work means that I'll be getting access to this as soon as they release it. Curious to see what it's like and how it works.

DogHouseDub

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2007
SF
I have been using Skype for Business on MacOS instead of Lync for awhile (in a beta program). They just realeased it to the public about a week ago - look for it, works great.

Can you view presentations yet? Share or view a shared desktop?

MLinneer

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2013
Sherman, TX
We’re trying a novel way to communicate at work… we get out of our chairs and TALK TO EACH OTHER. Does wonders for morale and team membership.

Reactions: Romy90210

itguy06

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2006
Anything is better than Lync.

ANYTHING.

Please send help. We still use Lync at work!

It's not just Lync - Outlook, Sharepoint, Yammer, Office 365 all suck donkey nuts. Pretty much anything Microsoft makes sucks a green weenie.

Mtmspa

Suspended
May 13, 2013
We’re trying a novel way to communicate at work… we get out of our chairs and TALK TO EACH OTHER. Does wonders for morale and team membership.

How well does that work when you have a multiple building campus and offices worldwide?

I guess you work in a little office with a few staff.

Mtmspa

Suspended
May 13, 2013
It's not just Lync - Outlook, Sharepoint, Yammer, Office 365 all suck donkey nuts. Pretty much anything Microsoft makes sucks a green weenie.

Have you actually used these products? I think they work great, especially on my IOS devices.

itguy06

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2006
Have you actually used these products? I think they work great, especially on my IOS devices.
Yes, we made the Office 365 mistake at work. They are junk. Sharepoint especially - it's a garbage Web platform and editing of Office files by teams is crap compared to, say Google Docs.

So, yes I've used these products and they suck no matter what the platform - Windows, Mac, iOS, Web.

Reactions: MikeAnd

TheSuperE

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2014
Portland, OR
Yes, we made the Office 365 mistake at work. They are junk. Sharepoint especially - it's a garbage Web platform and editing of Office files by teams is crap compared to, say Google Docs.

So, yes I've used these products and they suck no matter what the platform - Windows, Mac, iOS, Web.

10.12.4 Breaks the Video functionality of MS Teams, wait to upgrade if you use this platform for work.

MikeAnd

Suspended
Jan 8, 2008

The only thing worse than Office 365 is their traditional Office licensed software. Upgraded my iMac at work and my Office 2016 license would no longer work. After hours of chatting with MSFT tech support – getting inane suggestions from them like "just drag the old copy of Office into the Trash on your old computer, and then it should work" – the only thing they could recommend was buying Office again and giving MSFT money twice. And they have the chutzpah to call this "productivity software," with no hint of irony.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.