Microsoft documents not saving

Discussion in 'iMac' started by luigi99, Dec 21, 2012.

1. luigi99 macrumors newbie

Hi,

I recently purchased a second hand imac, and bought the microsoft office package for it.

When I try and save the documents to the hard-drive, Word will come up with "This is not a valid file name", and excel comes up with "document not saved".

The file names are standard file names such as test that I have tried saving it under.

I have tried saving to the desktop and to the documents folder and both come up with this issue.

I have tried reinstalling the microsoft package and I have also upgraded the operating system, neither seems to have made a difference.

When I try and save the documents to an external hard-drive and face the same problem.

However, it will save the documents to the time machine drive.

I have used this microsoft office package on my macbook air and the documents save fine on this machine.

Please could anybody shed any light on this issue for me? I know it may only be a simple preference setting but I can't seem to find the resolution.

2. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

3. luigi99 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the advice - I have tried running these steps and it hasn't made a difference. Do you have any other thoughts of what it might be?

I tried talking to the apple store about it but they didn't have a clue.

4. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

It's a strange one all right....Short of a complete re-install of OSX I can't think of anything else you can try.