MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Microsoft has started rolling out history and tab syncing features for its Edge browser, almost a year after the app's official release on Mac and Windows.

edge.jpg

The new features enable users to sync all the web pages they've visited to every device on which they're signed into Edge, whether that's Mac, iOS, Windows, or Android.

The toggles for the two features in Settings -> Profiles -> Sync were previously greyed out, but users in the United Kingdom are starting to see them become accessible.

According to The Verge, the U.K. is one of the first markets to get the history and tab sync features, which will eventually come to more countries as the rollout expands.

Despite the lack of many sync features since its release, Microsoft Edge has won over many users with its frequent feature updates and tight integration of Microsoft's design language with the design language of macOS.

Microsoft has already updated Edge with native support for Apple Silicon, bringing optimized performance to Macs with the M1 chip.

Article Link: Microsoft Edge History and Tab Sync Features Start Rolling Out

gk4

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2010
It's still a little useless because it's still not enabled in the Mobile app. For people who are interested because they regularly use two (or more) separate computers this is good, but I think most people want this to sync between their computer and phone, or tablet and phone, etc.

• Sad
Reactions: Dino F
Comment

Dino F

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2010
Croydon, South London, UK
Just tried this - whilst the 'Open Tabs' and 'History' options now show in the sync settings on my laptop, the same settings are still greyed out when using the Edge app in iOS meaning you can't sync between laptop and iOS.

Useless......

Reactions: aloshka
Comment

hendrilei

macrumors member
Feb 1, 2015
And what’s the strong point compare to chrome ? (Unless for some who doesn’t like google)

Comment

RealMonster

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2007
That is a bit misleading... Unless you read the story in the link, you do not know its Canary build, not released Edge version.
Not even the weekly dev version! I finally got sick of downloading versions with no support and grabbed Chrome instead. I wanted to use Edge—for work I have to use Office 365 and I figured that I could try and wrap the whole ecosystem together—but in the end, it was just so inconvenient to wade through their pages to find the right link to a nightly build with unclear stability. Forget it. Wake me up when they ACTUALLY have support for the M1.

Comment

hendrilei

macrumors member
Feb 1, 2015
  • Better memory management
  • Better CPU/tab management
  • Better battery life (due to memory and CPU management)
  • Collections feature
  • Edge specific extensions (in addition to Chrome extensions)

If the memory management is really better, with any device sync feature, i’m looking forward to try this later on. Safari and Chrome have a horrible memory drained (at least for me whose not expert). Don’t care of the extensions since I don’t use them. Microsoft’s product - better memory management and friendly to other OS, hmm ... i’m certainly curious to at least try and experience this.

Comment

thejoshuabradshaw

macrumors member
Dec 5, 2018
Huntsville, Alabama
I have to use it for work and I have to say it's not terrible. There are a lot of good features bordering on great ones. Just need to refine things a bit more and it will actually be a great experience.

Comment

sdz

macrumors 6502a
May 28, 2014
Europe/Germany
when you sync with your Microsoft account, they virtually see everything.

Microsoft collects data necessary to provide features you request in Microsoft Edge. For example, you may choose to sync browser information saved on your device across other devices when you are signed in with your Microsoft account. You may choose which browser data to sync, including your favorites, extensions and associated data, settings, open tabs, autofill form entries (such as your name, address, and phone number), passwords, payment information, and other data types as they become available. If you choose to sync extensions that you acquired from third-party web stores, a copy of those extensions will be downloaded directly from those web stores on your synced device(s). If you have turned on Password Monitor, your saved credentials are hashed, encrypted and sent to Microsoft’s Password Monitor service to warn you if your credentials were detected as part of a malicious attack or a breach. Microsoft does not retain this data after the check is complete. You can disable or configure syncing in the Microsoft Edge settings.

Comment

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
collects data necessary to provide features you request
That's no different than any other cloud sync service provider, which is pretty much given when you use some form of cloud sync. I don't see anywhere in the privacy policy that Microsoft can read or otherwise browse that data though.

Reactions: jive turkey
Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.