Microsoft Edge

Discussion in 'iPad' started by antisomnic, Apr 29, 2018.

1. antisomnic macrumors regular

antisomnic

i recently downloaded microsoft edge for my ipad and am kinda liking it. It seems faster than safari. Anyone else try it? Thoughts? Opinions?

2. elppa, Apr 29, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2018

elppa macrumors 68040

elppa

This product exists so Edge browser (and with it Bing) remains competitive and retains feature parity (compared to Chrome and Firefox).

Specifically Edge users need to be able to sync content with their mobile device(s) and those devices won't be running Windows anymore.

In terms of technology it is using the systems networking stack and the same engine as safari - so there is not going to be any significant performance difference for rendering.

Edge itself is a good to decent browser, but you aren't actually getting the Edge engine on iOS. Its real "shortcoming" is the same problem other browsers had in the old days trying to compete with IE. That is some sites and applications are designed for Chrome rather than the web platform.

3. Richard8655, Apr 29, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2018

Richard8655 macrumors 6502a

Richard8655

I just transitioned to iPhone, giving up on Lumia Windows Phone where Edge was the default browser. Not a bad experience, and no idea how it might perform on IOS. I would think Safari integrates better with IOS.

But there’s more to a browser than just speed. User experience, features, comfort level - all matter.

4. Darmok N Jalad macrumors 65816

Darmok N Jalad

I can't really be any faster than Safari, as all browsers on iOS must use the same browsing engine, aka, Webkit. The other browsers are different shells that use services from the developer. So Chrome syncs with your Google account; Edge, your MSA, etc.

5. off_piste macrumors 6502a

You think Opera isn’t any faster than Safari?

6. Darmok N Jalad macrumors 65816

Darmok N Jalad

It can’t be on iOS. They use the same browsing engine.

7. off_piste macrumors 6502a

Interesting. I’ve tried a number of other browsers and thought some of them were faster than Safari but either a pain to use (app specific) or Safari being the default browser just kept me there. Apple knows what it’s doing.

8. pika2000 macrumors 601

This.
    And I don't know if Apple opened some of their features or not, but Safari does have access to more resources (like acceleration) than 3rd party browsers. Apple might have opened this though in later versions of iOS, so correct me if I'm wrong.

9. Darmok N Jalad macrumors 65816

Darmok N Jalad

This is only true on iOS. MacOS still allows whatever engine the developer chooses.

10. slooksterPSV macrumors 68040

slooksterPSV

They can add performance enhancements to increase speed though like pre loading pages