Microsoft Entourage 2004...

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by umbrabellator, Jul 20, 2008.

1. umbrabellator macrumors newbie

Hello, all.

I am using Entourage 2004 on a Mac with the latest version of OS X (including all of the latest updates). I have an Exchange account and use Entourage, of course, to keep everything in sync between my iMac, my iPhone and Outlook Web Access.

Here's my question: Entourage syncs and updates itself when I run the app, of course, but is there any way to have Entourage sync with my Exchange account when it isn't running?.

Does Microsoft provide a utility that can be left constantly running in the background that will continuously sync throughout the day (similar to how OS X syncs with the new MobileMe) or are there any third-party apps that would add this functionality?

I just started using Entourage and Exchange, so I would be grateful for any help that anyone can provide.

Thank you!

Umbra Bellator

2. phairphan macrumors 6502

phairphan

I'm not aware of any such feature or utility, on the Mac or the PC. One solution would simply be to leave Entourage running and minimized to the dock.

I'm curious why you would want Entourage syncing when it's closed. Since it syncs as soon as it's opened, any changes you made in OWA or on your iPhone are reflected in Entourage when you sit down to use it. And since it's closed, you're obviously not making any changes on your Mac to push to the Exchange server. Am I missing something?

3. umbrabellator thread starter macrumors newbie

No, you're not missing anything at all. I use Entourage/Exchange in a personal setting as an alternative to Apple's MobileMe (which is a terrible service) and I simply would like to have everything waiting for me when I get home and fire up Entourage as opposed to waiting for it to connect and update.

It's just a personal thing, nothing something that is critical.

Thank you for the assistance.

Umbra Bellator

4. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

Here's the thing -- to have that happen you'd need some app. open. So instead of entourage you'd have the entourage helper app. running. What's the difference? Why not just leave entourage open when you're away? Even if there were an "entourage helper" app it would mean that when you opened entourage it would have to load everything in--that might happen slightly quicker, but not much.

If connection speed is an issue, tweak the settings in entourage so that it doesn't automatically download attachments over a certain size. That can really speed things up since messages themselves download quickly even over dialup.