Microsoft Excel 2004 Won't Open in Lepoard

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by sheepfunk, May 14, 2008.

1. sheepfunk macrumors newbie

I'm getting a weird error when I try to open Microsoft Excel 2004.

"You can't open the application "Microsoft Excel" because the Classic environment is no longer supported."

1. Excel used to work just fine (I'm not sure if I've used it since I upgraded to Leopard)

2. I've seen other people say on forums that the MS Office 2004 suite works fine with Leopard

3. As far as I know the Classic environment was phased out in Leopard, though I don't think I've ever used the classic environment

4. All my other MS Office Apps work

Has anyone ever experienced. this? I'm not having much luck with google, hopefully it's a dumb configuration thing that I don't know about being a mac newb.

2. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Have you got the latest patch to Office 2004?

3. sheepfunk thread starter macrumors newbie

Updates installed and it still is throwing an error

I ran the OSX updater ( APPLE-SYMBOL > Software Update...) and installed "Microsoft Office 2004 for Mac 11.4.2 Update" from Mactopia and I'm still getting the error.

Any ideas?

4. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Do a Get Info on the Excel app and make sure that "Open in Classic" isn't selected.

5. sheepfunk thread starter macrumors newbie

Kind: Application (Classic)

That looks like it's the right answer, when i Get Info on my Excel App, under the General Tab it says:

Kind: Application (Classic)

Where as MS Work only says
    Kind: Application

So How do I switch my application from Kind: Application (Classic) to Kind: Application?

6. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

What does it say under "Version"? Even better, can you post a screenshot of the Info window?

7. sheepfunk thread starter macrumors newbie

Screen Shot of my get info window

Here is the get info window of my problem app in all its glory...

Attached Files:

8. nigrunze macrumors regular

Try using the attach function to upload your image.

Don't know why Excel 2004 says it's a classic app. Try reinstalling it from the CD and see if the problem is fixed. There should be an office uninstaller app in the Office 2004 folder somewhere on your computer. If you get the same "classic" error as with excel, then there should be an uninstaller in the setup for Office 2004.

9. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I'd also have to suggest reinstalling from the CD. It almost looks like you've ended up with Excel 2001 in your 2004 folder!

10. bradroy macrumors newbie

Same Problem

I am having the same problem on my Macbook. After upgrading to Leopard, Microsoft Excel won't work and gives me an error saying its not supported in the classic environment. All other Microsoft Application work though.

Did you get Excel to work on your computer? Just wondering if you'd share any success you've had.

11. kevin.spear macrumors newbie

Excel 2004 failed to open

It happened on my IMac G5. I doubled clicked on the Excel icon and it changed from the traditional green icon to the circle with the slash through it.

After that, I got the "Cannot open because Leopard doesn't support the classic environment" message.

I repaired disk permissions and ran maintenance. Nothing worked until I reinstalled Excel. Now Excel opens fine again.