Microsoft Excel Mac 2004 - When I try to print the grids won't print!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Doju, Sep 1, 2009.

1. Doju macrumors 68000

Hi, I'm trying to print an Excel 2004 .xls spreadsheet file where I'm using to record attendance for the class I teach.

I have my main Column A with Rows A-X and it shows up fine, I imagine because there is content in the boxes.

But I also have Columns B-L and rows A-X with nothing in their cells, but when I print it, they won't print. I need these blank because I'll check them off if the child in the first column attended the lesson.

How do I make it so my many blank cells will print as well?

2. flatfoot macrumors 65816

Excel won't print areas with nothing entered, that's normal.

The easiest way to make it print this more or less empty sheet is to make a border around the whole thing, i. e. select the whole are you want to print, then, from the "Format" menu select "Cells" (first entry); in the window that appears, select "Border(s)" and there is a preset for a border all around the selection.
    Now Excel's going to print your whole table. (another way would be to give each column to be printed a headline in the first cell, e. g. a date in your case, I assume).

If Excel prints the border now but not the standard grid within it, go to "Page Setup" in the "File" menu. Under the last tab ("Table"), there is a check-box to enable grid-printing.

P.S.: I have the German version of Office and tried to remember what all these terms are in the English one, but the direction should be clear anyway.
    And I'm using Office 2008 but as to what I remember, the steps are all the same in Office 2004.